Understanding North Korea

Moderator: Milldawg

Hercanic
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Understanding North Korea

Post by Hercanic »

Full video

This is a C-SPAN presentation by B.R. Myers on his book about North Korea and its ideology, titled, "The Cleanest Race." It is a fascinating look into the history and motivations of the modern day Democratic People's Republic of Korea. I highly recommend watching this if you are at all interested in current events. North Korea has recently withdrawn the 1953 armistice between it and South Korea, declared war on the United States, and is threatening nuclear action.

Being in South Korea myself, it is a sobering thought to realize that tomorrow I could wake up in a war zone.
Spoiler
This is only the first 10 minutes. I recommend the full video, but here's a sample:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXPksdShNK0[/youtube]
Dread
Terran Command Center Custodian

Re: Understanding North Korea

Post by Dread »

Keep the contact and location information for local embassies (i.e. both American and allied) at hand. Oh, and strengthen all strategic wartime knowledge with at least 2 hours of StarCraft each morning.
- - - Dread
Taeradun
Protoss Khalai Missionary
Protoss Khalai Missionary

Post by Taeradun »

lol, you think you're going to wake up
wibod
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper

Post by wibod »

Best Korea is not likely to do anything, making empty threats is in their best interests. Gotta keep the starving peasants in check, no better way to do that than threatening everyone else.
Xenon
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee

Post by Xenon »

Democratic People's Republic of Korea
Sarcastic country names, lol. Maybe we should call ourselves the "Fiscally Responsible United States of America".
DrumsofWar
Protoss Infested Terran (Unemployed)
Protoss Infested Terran (Unemployed)

Post by DrumsofWar »

North Korea is stirring the pot again. 2 subs disappear off the coast, launchpads ramping up, and a buildup on the border.

This might be another game of pointless brinksmanship but they're cutting it awfully close.
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

DrumsofWar wrote:North Korea is stirring the pot again. 2 subs disappear off the coast, launchpads ramping up, and a buildup on the border.

This might be another game of pointless brinksmanship but they're cutting it awfully close.
It's probably Junior thinking he can one-up Daddy at the game, but somehow I suspect he's not going to come up smelling like roses when this is over.
-- Razorclaw X
Creator of Wanderers of Sorceria and Vision of the Future
Hercanic

Post by Hercanic »

North Korea might attack tomorrow. Probably a missile launch. NK recommended that all embassies clear out before the 10th. Analysts are saying NK will likely do something then, as the 10th is the start of a weeklong celebration in the country.

I'm thinking they might do something on the 15th, though, as that's the anniversary of the founder's birthday. They're obsessed with significant dates in NK.
Laconius
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Laconius »

Herc, get out your red tights. This one's going to be a no-holds barred match. :o
Ours is a thought-tormented age.
UntamedLoli
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy

Post by UntamedLoli »

Laconius is offering to put Kim Jong-un in a figure four leg lock complete with a speedo.
Hercanic

Post by Hercanic »

They've threatened Tokyo with nuclear action because Japan set up some anti-missile defenses, saying it is an act of aggression.

The Japanese have already had two cities nuked and had a nuclear reactor meltdown worse than Chernobyl. If Tokyo were nuked, holy crap! It's like the world is conspiring against them to really create Godzilla or something.

NK also warned all foreign companies and tourists to leave SK, saying the two countries were on the verge of nuclear war.

Statement by the (North) Korean Asia-Pacific Peace Committee:
  • "The situation on the Korean Peninsula is inching close to a thermonuclear war due to the evermore undisguised hostile actions of the United States and the South Korean puppet warmongers and their moves for a war against (the North)."

"It will be an all-out war, a merciless, sacred, retaliatory war to be waged by (North Korea)."

"We do not wish harm on foreigners in South Korea should there be a war."

"The committee informs all foreign institutions and enterprises and foreigners, including tourists...that they are requested to take measures for shelter and evacuation in advance for their safety."
So it's 8am on the 15th. If they're going to do anything, I'd say this is the day.
Laconius
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Laconius »

With NK's economy a total laughing stock as it is, I'd say this is their version of a glorified kamikaze run. One last hoorah before all their citizens die of starvation and/or malnutrition.

Their "sacred, retaliatory war" will probably involve everything up to malfunctioning missiles and war vehicles designed by Fisher Price.
Ours is a thought-tormented age.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Conspiracy theory:

North Korea possibly behind the bombing of a finish line for a marathon involving 18 different countries held at Boston due to their recent threats?
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Dread

Post by Dread »

It doesn't seem like their M.O. This was an act of cowardice. To elicit a response North Korea would undertake more acts of posturing grandeur and direct confrontation.

There have been lots of loose theories tossed out from the onset; but none of them have included North Korea. Forensics will reveal lots of information regarding the fabrication of the improvised devices and then it'll become far more clear how homegrown this event turns out to be. If it's a larger organisation someone will attempt to take credit for it.

If anyone here happens to know anyone who was participating in the Boston Marathon I would simply hope that you have successfully contacted them and that they are safe.
- - - Dread
mark_009_vn
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Post by mark_009_vn »

Lavarinth wrote:Conspiracy theory:

North Korea possibly behind the bombing of a finish line for a marathon involving 18 different countries held at Boston due to their recent threats?
Doing that in a political scale is as idiotic as putting eggs inside of the Large Hadron Collider... Why would you try to piss off 18 different countries including world powers when launching nukes to wipe out haft of earth's civilization felt like a more productive approach?

Not to mention, alleged ties to terrorism was once an excuse for Amerika to invade Iraq in the pass, and you see how that goes...

"I'm begging you, let me work!" - Osamu Tezuka