StarCraft Fifteen Year Anniversary

Comment on our website's front-page headlines.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

StarCraft Fifteen Year Anniversary

Post by Lavarinth »

March 31st, 2013 marked the fifteen year anniversary of the StarCraft series. For most of us at Campaign Creations, StarCraft was our childhood, growing up with the M rated game before it went to T for teens. We spent years playing custom campaigns, and more importantly, creating friendships. Throughout the years many have come and many have gone and this cycle will continue on with no end in sight. Much like Campaign Creations in the year 2000, we can only hope for amazing things to come both here and from Blizzard. Blizzard has a released a press release featuring an appreciation for its fans as well as a mission objective for a memorable achievement to be completed before April 17th.

*Receiving incoming transmission. Comm-link established:*

Greetings, Commanders. The opportunity to celebrate a 15-year anniversary doesn't come around very often, and we're thrilled to share this epic StarCraft franchise milestone with all of you.

Following its release on March 31, 1998, StarCraft warped millions of us through time and space to the 25th century, where we explored the unruly Koprulu Sector for the first time. We built armies and brought ruin to countless enemy bases as we helped the terrans, protoss, and zerg wage war against each other. The release of StarCraft: Brood War just nine months later saw the Queen of Blades become one of the most iconic villains of all time, and the popularization of professional StarCraft competition in South Korea.

Fast-forward through twelve long, anticipation-filled years to 2010, when StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty was finally unleashed upon the world. We guided Jim Raynor's actions as he fought valiantly against Arcturus Mengsk's Dominion forces, and cheered on as professional competition, now fondly referred to as StarCraft II eSports, exploded in popularity on a truly global stage. Now, with less than one month behind us since the release of StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm, we're faced with not just Kerrigan and her ferocious brood, but the realization that time really does fly when you're having fun. In just a few short days, we'll be celebrating fifteen wonderful years of StarCraft.

We're pleased to invite you to take part in the festivities with a brand-new Feat of Strength achievement, as well as three portrait rewards which feature the original Terran, Protoss, and Zerg StarCraft box art.

We feel these portraits pay homage to StarCraft’s remarkable history, and are a great way for everyone to take part in the 15-Year Anniversary. However, those of you who seek to unlock these unique rewards will need to first face a perilous field operation:

Mission Objective:
  • Play one game of StarCraft II in any online mode before 11:59 p.m. PDT on April 17. (1 Remaining)

Beginning March 31, play one Arcade, Custom, Ranked, Training, Unranked, or Versus A.I. game to earn the StarCraft 15-Year Anniversary Feat of Strength achievement. As soon as you've received the achievement, all three portraits will be permanently unlocked in your StarCraft II character profile.

We know what you're thinking, and no, this isn't an April Fool's joke, though it is important to note that Campaign, Offline Custom Games, replays, and observing your friends' games don't count toward reward progress, so make sure to play in one of the previously listed online game modes. Furthermore, the Feat of Strength will be awarded only after your game is over, so if you leave that 4v4 ladder match early, the achievement will not be given to you until everyone else has left the game as well.

Please join us in celebrating StarCraft's 15th birthday by showing off your new portraits in Battle.net from March 31 to April 17—and we kindly encourage you to share all of your favorite StarCraft memories with us using the #SC15 hashtag on Twitter.

We have one final parting gift that we hope will embolden your forces to victory as you embark on this assignment. Please enjoy the stunning desktop wallpaper image below, which features full-body art for the Terran Marine, Zerg Hydralisk, and Protoss Zealot.

Commanders, the time to act is now. Rally your troops, log in to StarCraft II, and commence the annihilation of your opponents. We await word of your triumphs on the battlefield.

*End Briefing*
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
bajadulce
Terran Dropship Flight Attendant
Terran Dropship Flight Attendant

Re: StarCraft Fifteen Year Anniversary

Post by bajadulce »

is it just me or does that wallpaper w/ the 1998 - 2013 appearing etched in a stone like surface seem very "tombstone" like? .. i.e. born 1998 DIED 2013 lol.
For most of us at Campaign Creations, StarCraft was our childhood
I was 32 in 1998 lol.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Fifteen years is a long time to be making custom content. It really doesn't feel like it has been that long.
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

Has it been fifteen years? I was twelve or thirteen when I got it! The Starcraft kids are all grown men now.

If I had a Windows PC and the Starcraft 1 disc now, I'd be making maps again.

I still think about SC sometimes. That geeky little game is etched in my brain for all eternity.
Rocco
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager

Post by Rocco »

The first time I played this game I was 7, after watching my father play it I bugged him into letting me. Its hard to think it was that long ago (More like 13 years for me). I'm 20 now and once in awhile I still go back and play a game or two.

Its really hard to think its 15 years old, what a fantastic game.
Church

Post by Church »

Stuff was a lot different back then. I remember when I was less critical on myself. I still didn't get many projects done, but I think I might have enjoyed it a little more back then.

It's been a long time.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

A few years ago I discovered my first voice recordings I ever did. A ghost. It was horrible. I was 13 when I recorded them.
- - Lavarinth
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

I still have voice files from DarkPrimus for one of my early TC's circa 2001 I think, and I have my very first edited voice I ever made somewhere as well. Surprisingly, it holds up admirably to modern industry standards in terms of record quality and clarity. A lot of the midrange stuff around 2002-2003 is not as good though.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

I guess using Windows Sound Recorder was a different story.
- - Lavarinth
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

I was using Goldwave and then Cooledit back then.
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

The darkest hour of my voice acting is definitely the job application machine in "The Gallantry" and all my lines for that mechanic guy Montgomery. Ugh! And one Protoss guy I did for Desler. It was about a cage fight, or something? I remember recording some lines to or about a guy named Riftur.

I've done some pretty good shit, but I really wish I could tell that 13 or 14 year old boy with a cheap mic now that it'd never become more than a sad hobby you're ashamed to talk about in real life.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

The lines you did for 2042 were pretty decent. Some people just need to find their path.
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

Thanks. But nah, man, my lines have always sucked unless they're smothered with effects.

You seem to have a natural acting voice. I never have heard that in myself.