Background pre-download for WoL to HotS

Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Re: Background pre-download for WoL to HotS

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Guess I should make Fraps FPS comparaisons between pre-2.0.4 and 2.0.4 for the cases of :
- 500 mass patroling zerglings to the middle
- Warlords and Merchants' terrain

Feel free to suggest other cases.
Pr0nogo
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy

Post by Pr0nogo »

They left a warning to prevent Apex from happening again: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/7923033750#1
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

FPS test video I did for the heck of it on WoL v1.5.3 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmQOaW_shKI

EDIT : Second video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6LVibY-yno

EDIT 2 : v2.0.4 FPS test video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By28azhagDI
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Try moving the lings around as a pack. I'm curious if their physics settings have some kind of impact on this, or if it's network-related (we all see how bad W&M drops when 100 lings start moving).

That's really weird you get such a huge drop from just the few buildings and such, though. Can't explain that.

I've recorded material for a HoTS video that should show my performance pretty solidly.
Falchion
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist
Location: Bragança Paulista, Brazil (Da most borin' place in the world)

Post by Falchion »

Pr0nogo wrote:They left a warning to prevent Apex from happening again: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/7923033750#1
That was just a little bit TOO LATE, wouldn't you guys agree? Otherwise, we'd be seeing some more Apex videos and I'd be learning more cool AI stuff from Mesk (i.e. about the AI editor and all that.).
How I became a troll in a single post (And you can too!!! :D ): link

Pr0nogo

Post by Pr0nogo »

I'm pretty sure Mesk didn't touch the AI editor when taking assistance from Jade. I find it interesting that Jade absconded from SCII's editor altogether after helping Mesk. I guess he finally had enough.

@HotS, when will you upload that? Is it going to be part of coffee hour 13? I'm curious because I know it's likely going to be an hour of straight ranting and raging.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

The AI editor in sc2 is not an AI editor. It's just another way of doing the attack groups, which the triggers do faster and better anyways. Jade was doing Galaxy tactical AI which afaik no one else has ever done.

As for when that video will be done, I dunno. Hopefully sooner than later.
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

IskatuMesk wrote:Try moving the lings around as a pack. I'm curious if their physics settings have some kind of impact on this, or if it's network-related (we all see how bad W&M drops when 100 lings start moving).
I ante this with 2 packs of about 500 lings each mass-patroling in a pack (done manually) on an empty map AND a pack of 500 of lings mass-patroling again as a pack from one side to another on W&M. Minor extras added!

Video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6LVibY-yno

Note : Quite possible that when all the lings reach the end and then turn back that it causes a lot of FPS loss (along with showing all the patrol lines)
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

That is really, really weird how that works, but it's pretty consistent with my observations so far. I can't say for sure what causes it, but the huge spikes on moving/turning large collision balls leads me to believe it's something related to how the pathing handles collision.

The UI lag is ridiculous in its own way that it's even capable of causing that kind of a hit.
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

And ill still need to do it for WoL 2.0.4 for comparison purposes.

Btw, it should be released tomorrow (Tuesday). Even the SEA server is on WoL 2.0.4 right now. Due to the patch installation, you guys might want to consider it might take 15-60 min of computing/hard drive time.

EDIT :

In ultra short, WoL 2.0.4 will benefit from Global Play, group replays, replay take control, clans/groups. They won't benefit from the leveling system (XP gain) from melee games for decals and some other thing I forgot.

TeamLiquid does have the patch notes : http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmes ... _id=398345
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Currently compressing and will upload my v2.0.4 WoL FPS test.

For my first impressions, it didn't seem to have changed too much FPS-wise. Perhaps a small boost if I am not blind.

Regarding W&M (using the same relative settings) :

+ If a trigger wants to hide a unit before it shows up, the actor don't still show up for 0.01 sec (and cloaked for w&m case) like before. Thus it means it's less FPS loss as far W&M is concerned (or at least without poking many actor stuff to do the same).
+ Overall, W&M didn't seem to be broken for anything serious at first glance.
= Terrain seems to keep a stable FPS for me mostly similar to before
= Zergling tests seems to keep the same relative FPS hits and FPS usage.
- All dialog text are white regardless of previous colors. For example, no grey instead of white for 0 quantity units and the like. A bug ill have to fix eventually.
- Due to simple command card and no enemy unit selection by default (damn lame), ill have to modify W&M to add a trigger action to overwrite them both to off for all players (regardless of players' settings).
UntamedLoli

Post by UntamedLoli »

I always wanted to try this test on SC2.

This is the time it takes the game to render each frame. These actually show stuttering and hitching. Which the frame times are all over the place as soon as the zerglings make contact.

Basically the new client performs considerably worse than the old one. Even the old one wasn't that great at it.

The video isn't that great of showing the actual performance because turning on recording made it run like ass. But this is what was happening during the graphs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJHPY49EWgo
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

So my WoL v2.0.4 fps test video is online : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By28azhagDI
Mr.
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper

Post by Mr. »

Guys you seem to be overlooking the most important aspect of this new patch: Now we can recreate Clan LLDN.
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Mr. wrote:Guys you seem to be overlooking the most important aspect of this new patch: Now we can recreate Clan LLDN.
I could but it's not big in my priority list ... especially when I already created a "Campaign Creations" group that can be set as public to allow random guys in without forcing anyone to be in a clan. I think clans are private channel-wise if I am not mistaken.

As for you Bill, I MUST suck you into the Campaign Creations group. Yeeeesssss, follow the horde!