Heart of the Swarm opening cinematic

Falchion
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist
Location: Bragança Paulista, Brazil (Da most borin' place in the world)

Re: Heart of the Swarm opening cinematic

Post by Falchion »

mark_009_vn wrote:In the year 2420, most common military tactics have been replaced by the A-move button, you should've know this by now...
Figures...
How I became a troll in a single post (And you can too!!! :D ): link

GnaReffotsirk
Zerg Larva Herder
Zerg Larva Herder

Post by GnaReffotsirk »

Was it a nightmare though, a memory, or was it a part of herself still yearning to burn everything?
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

GnaReffotsirk wrote:Was it a nightmare though, a memory, or was it a part of herself still yearning to burn everything?
Although she woke up "scared," I think it's more of a waking up from a coma in shock as to where she is. Her dream is likely just a reference as to who she truly is. Just because she had her infestation removed, it does not remove her way of thinking.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Wait, Korhal was brood war, wasn't it? I'm not too brushed up on my Metzen wall scribbles. If that's korhal, why are there vikings?
Falchion

Post by Falchion »

IskatuMesk wrote:Wait, Korhal was brood war, wasn't it? I'm not too brushed up on my Metzen wall scribbles. If that's korhal, why are there vikings?
Because they got lost again and we gotta play that weak-ass arcade to bring'em back.

GODDAMMIT BLIZZARD!

Pr0nogo
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy

Post by Pr0nogo »

We have no confirmation that it was Korhal (though it's heavily implied... but so were other things in the game that turned out to not be true), nor do we have confirmation that Kerrigan was reliving the moments of her invasion of Korhal back in BW.
Falchion

Post by Falchion »

Pr0nogo wrote:We have no confirmation that it was Korhal (though it's heavily implied... but so were other things in the game that turned out to not be true), nor do we have confirmation that Kerrigan was reliving the moments of her invasion of Korhal back in BW.
Well, one clue is the Stalin Mengsk statue. That about implies it. Another is the landscape, a practical metropolis, unless it's another industrialized world, like Tyrador.

And it also has something to do with the WoL campaign. A force invades the enemy's primary stronghold world and tears down all resistance. This time, instead of Raynor and his fellow drunkards, it's the Queen bitch wanting her daddy's head. (Both above and below the belt, make a note.)

Pr0nogo

Post by Pr0nogo »

Even if it is Korhal back in BW days, Colossi were around back then, too (right next to the Overmind, even). Vikings could just be shoehorned in (a.k.a. retconned but not to Bluzzard) for the fuck of it.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Well, Aiur had stalkers trapped in it. So I guess any sense of chronology in sc2 is really just not worth considering.
mark_009_vn
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Post by mark_009_vn »

We have no confirmation that it was Korhal (though it's heavily implied... but so were other things in the game that turned out to not be true), nor do we have confirmation that Kerrigan was reliving the moments of her invasion of Korhal back in BW.
I don't know man. It looked like Bulgaria for me...

BILLIARDS!!!

"I'm begging you, let me work!" - Osamu Tezuka
Pr0nogo

Post by Pr0nogo »

IskatuMesk wrote:Well, Aiur had stalkers trapped in it. So I guess any sense of chronology in sc2 is really just not worth considering.
Then you realise that Zealots are turning into Stalkers because all the Immortal roles are canonically filled.

D<
Laconius
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Laconius »

If the Terrans had SCVs repairing those tanks, they would've won the fight hands down.

Why the fuck does Blizzard never show workers in their cinematics? Classic blue-collar discrimination at its finest.
Ours is a thought-tormented age.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Laconius wrote:If the Terrans had SCVs repairing those tanks, they would've won the fight hands down.

Why the fuck does Blizzard never show workers in their cinematics? Classic blue-collar discrimination at its finest.
I have to agree, there. I even went through all the SC1 cinematics... Memories...
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
wibod
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper

Post by wibod »

In the far future, all military tactics have reverted to the 1800s.
Hercanic
Protoss Stargate Concierge
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Post by Hercanic »

The visuals are excellent, though it's your typical sci-fi cold blue saturation with orange contrast. We could interpret this as Kerrigan's emotional coldness.

The action is cool. We get to see the cockpit of a Viking, with dew on the windshield, the interior of a Zerg Behemoth launching drop pods, the transformation of a viking and a tank, and a Marine's POV of a Nydus worm erupting from the ground.

The logic, however, is weak. Seeing a Viking transform and unload its minigun arms is pretty sweet, but... why? The tank was already smashed, he went in alone, and an entire battalion of tanks was just a few hundred meters away. Apparently the pilot thought it was a good idea to solo an Ultralisk and a pack of Zerglings? This scene could have been helped by radio chatter, like the tank line saying they needed a few more seconds and the Viking dude being all like, "I got this!" Or the squashed tank guy being all, "Helps meh!"

The Wilhelm scream, I think, is there more as a filmmaker's joke, given its low, distant volume.

The voiceover monologue, yeah, kind of stale. Here's an idea, Blizzard writers: ban the word revenge. Just throw it out of your vocabulary. This goes back to the classic literary rule of, "Show, don't tell." Language is broad and full of possibilities, so when all a character ever says is "Revenge! Vengeance! Avenge!" you've pretty much whittled their personality down to a single, boring feature. You could, maybe, I don't know, imply revenge is a motivation with clever, descriptive, and varied dialogue, rather than outright stating it. Blizzard writers just love this word too much, it's become their own personal cliché.
Kerrigan's monologue wrote:I am the Swarm

Armies will be shattered

Worlds will burn

Now at last, on this world, vengeance shall be mine!

For I am the Queen of Blades