Starcraft : Rebirth of the Swarm (Youtube video)

Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Starcraft : Rebirth of the Swarm (Youtube video)

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

So a one hour video essentially made out of Starcraft 2 assets. IskatuMesk and Pr0nogo are involved in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHByuocY7HQ
UntamedLoli
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy

Re: Starcraft : Rebirth of the Swarm (Youtube video)

Post by UntamedLoli »

I like how mesk is the only protoss that sounds protoss. Otherwise it wasn't that bad.
Pr0nogo

Post by Pr0nogo »

The guy refused to take my redone voice acting for Shiloh. I had a much less shitty microphone and he was like, 'no these are perfect'.

Oh well.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

I not only did a bunch of voices I also did some extra editing for him (Zhadun's editing was the most immense cleanup work I have ever had to do in my history of audio work). Cool guy, has some strange idols though (michael bay wtf). The funny thing is, this was done in Vegas, not After Effects.

It's nice to see my work get featured in a finished project for a change, unlike having people like EternalWraith on sc2mapster waste my time.
Eredalis
Zerg Larva Herder
Zerg Larva Herder

Post by Eredalis »

As for the voice acting part, IskatuMesk and Pr0nogo are the only two who know what they do. Which was no surprise... The rest is simply horrible. I already had a discussion with Crainy about the quality of the voice acting in some german fansite forum and I gave him the advice that you have either only voice actors like IskatuMesk and Pr0nogo or your project experiences burning penetration from untalented wannabe voice actors...
Last edited by Eredalis on Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
mark_009_vn
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Post by mark_009_vn »

Eredalis wrote:As for the voice acting part, IskatuMesk and Pr0nogo are the only two who know what they do. Which was no surprise... The rest is simply horrible. I had already a discussion with Crainy about the quality of the voice acting in some german fansite forum and I gave him the advice that you have either only voice actors like IskatuMesk and Pr0nogo or your project experiences burning penetration from untalented wannabe voice actors...
Where is Lav when you need him.

:P

"I'm begging you, let me work!" - Osamu Tezuka
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Talk about sucking up. I'm guessing Eredalis has a campaign he's working on and he'll need voice actors soon.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Hercanic
Protoss Stargate Concierge
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Post by Hercanic »

Sucking up or not, after watching the video myself, during the end credits I was pleasantly surprised to find every convincing voice was done by IskatuMesk and Pr0nogo. You both did a fantastic job, especially Iskatu. The Immortal on the Mothership was strong and engaging, the Marauder matched so well I didn't even recognize it was you until a second hearing, and the Scout I thought was a sound bite from the actual game.

The news announcer was your only weakness, who sounded more like your natural speech rather than an anchorman character. The lines themselves were a little cheesy, too, so that didn't help, basically wedging in the film's title at the end. The word "reborn" doesn't strike me as how a news station would choose to phrase the event.

Pr0nogo, when your character first introduces himself, after the audience is subjected to the poor performance of the marine commander, it's like a breath of fresh air. There were a few trouble spots in delivery down the road, but overall I bought that this was a Ghost talking.

The other voices had generally good sound editing (e.g. Protoss), but the delivery of the lines was, to be painfully honest, amateur. The lowest point for me was when the marine commander was "yelling", which I can only guess was the actor loud-whispering into the microphone because he didn't want to wake up his family late at night. Underneath all the editing, I could still hear the nerdy teen sitting behind his computer, enunciating and softening at awkward moments, and not battle-hardened Marine and Protoss characters. I hate being so hard on a fan-made project, but there you have it.
mark_009_vn
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Post by mark_009_vn »

The other voices had generally good sound editing
To be honest with you, except for Mesk's own voices, they're all terribly edited. The reverbs on some of them makes it impossible to know just what the shit they're saying...

Mesk VAs were also not as quality as Black Sun or Apex materials (Apex generally has the best VA Mesk had ever done), the edits/acting sounds kinda "raw" IMO. :P

"I'm begging you, let me work!" - Osamu Tezuka
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Editing other people's voices isn't my forte, so I definitely can't claim that they are my best work (far from it), Zhadun's the only one I edited protoss-wise that wasn't mine AFAIK though I did some com static. The news anchor was a last minute kind of deal and, yeah, I agree it certainly wasn't the strongest. I did none of the writing, however. Crainy was telling me he would have rather had me helping with the writing after he saw my Apex demos, but by then the production was largely finished for him including 99% of the voices, so I think he understands a lot of those flaws.

The whisper yelling was pretty hilarious, yeah.

I'm surprised I did as well as I did because I am really not accustomed to voicing protoss.
Pr0nogo

Post by Pr0nogo »

Hercanic wrote:Pr0nogo, when your character first introduces himself, after the audience is subjected to the poor performance of the marine commander, it's like a breath of fresh air. There were a few trouble spots in delivery down the road, but overall I bought that this was a Ghost talking.
The problem I have with my voice acting in this project is that I know for a fact that I could do so much better, given the opportunity. It really bothered me that he refused my second takes - mostly because I feel like it misrepresented my skills, but also because I wanted him to have competent voice acting from me, and not just 'okay' or 'better than the rest of the garbage that did the other voices'.

Ah well. That's the problem with signing on to development teams as one of two competent voice actors, I suppose.
Archangel
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector

Post by Archangel »

Yeah, if only we knew of other voice actors who were actually good. IF ONLY. IF ONLY THERE WAS ANOTHER VOICE ACTOR IN THE WORLD THAT WAS ACTUALLY GOOD.

WHERE IS THE OTHER VOICE ACTOR?!

WHERE IS HE?!

THIS IS HOW WE GET ANTS, LAVARINTH!
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Are you talking about Falchion? He's a really good actor, I think.
Archangel

Post by Archangel »

*cries*
Pr0nogo

Post by Pr0nogo »

Almost as good as Judicator Mike.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.