Post by RazorclawX »

-- Razorclaw X
Creator of Wanderers of Sorceria and Vision of the Future
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: Heart of the Swarm opening cinematic

Post by RazorclawX »

I don't think I like the way this is going. If it really is going to be Kerrigan on her quest to kill Mengsk it's going to suck (especially if they use that animatic that got leaked a while back with the craptacular 'ending')

I think it's too much of a given that Terrans get turned into street pizzas by Zerg... we need more Protoss street pizzas.

ED:

Oh yeah, read some spoilers on "Flashpoint", a story that happens between the two games. Apparently Dr. Narud steals the big glowy artifact, Valerian is now working with Raynor and they''re all hiding out from the Dominion. Yep, it's certainly going to go that way.
-- Razorclaw X
Falchion
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist
Location: Bragança Paulista, Brazil (Da most borin' place in the world)

Post by Falchion »

Dude, couldn't stop laughing for over an hour. Especially at the TvZ rush versus the tank line.

Really, is THIS the AI we'll face in HotS? My LP's gonna be hilarious, honest...

/edit And I'm talking about how pathetic this intro is.
How I became a troll in a single post (And you can too!!! :D ): link

UntamedLoli
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy

Post by UntamedLoli »

It's like they are getting worse and worse at making cinematics.

Immediately afterwards, I see this:

Falchion

Post by Falchion »

Hunter_Killers wrote:It's like they are getting worse and worse at making cinematics.

Let's make a list:

- Laughable one liners.

- Michael Bay-esque action.

- Siege Tanks useless, lack of Marauders, Marines being stomped on and a Battlecruiser crashing atop of a city.

- Wilhelm Scream.

Says ALL there is to be said about post-2000 Blizzard.

Also, pay no attention to the 'Toss broad exploding, please: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OiLrDatZzg

IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Hunter_Killers wrote:It's like they are getting worse and worse at making cinematics.

Lol @ "take notes". Yes, I'm sure they're taking notes on what not to do. They can start with keeping the entire lower half of frequencies in audio, since we're not using a built-in ipod speaker. Next, hire a writer. I hear they are cool dudes.
GnaReffotsirk
Zerg Larva Herder
Zerg Larva Herder

Post by GnaReffotsirk »

I don't get it. Why does it suck?
Falchion

Post by Falchion »

GnaReffotsirk wrote:I don't get it. Why does it suck?
Short Version? WoL's story was a trainwreck. A trainwreck where the paramedics have to improvise because they couldn't decor the script properly and the wounded forget their lines.

Also, as Ricky stated, there's a genuine chance they might use that leaked ending from about two years ago. MIGHT, I said, as we'll only see how far the lard goes when the floodgates are opened due March. ¬¬

UntamedLoli

Post by UntamedLoli »

The audio work is sub-par and missing entire sections of the frequency range that should be there, like everything else they've done. If I ever had to watch an entire movie of this it would be ear rape. The dialogue is generic.

The actual scenes are mindless. Hey, this tank can shoot while driving away, lets make a Viking need to land and spend most of its time spraying the ground.

Ball of tanks and marines doing nothing at all. Random marine gets stepped on, but oh wait, the force isn't even that far ahead yet for that to occur on the zoom out.

Then throw a random explosion to finish it off and show it was a fantasy/dream/nightmare.

There was absolutely nothing going on in this that made me give a shit. It made little sense from a gameplay or cinematic perspective.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

What makes it good? The fact they threw money at it?

There's a billion generic CGI videos out that look as good or better. That doesn't mean they are good. Blizzard's cinematics department stopped being special snowflakes around 2002.
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

I don't know ... this video seems to have been "Call of Duty-ed" especially at the beginning compared to even previous Blizzard videos. I admit never having seeing any CoD videos but it still give me that kind of odd feeling that Activision was just too behind that video or something.

It just seem to be lacking regardless if you compare it to older Blizzard videos OR to ultra-flashy non-substance style videos. I even cared more about the WoL trailer than this and that's even after viewing the WoL one right after this HotS one.

I guess HKS nailed the best in specifics. Heck, if *I*, who tend to not notice the subtle cinematic details, actually notice those two Marines just get pushed by those Zerg with zero sound at all and like a cheap pushover, some negligence did happen.
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

Hunter_Killers wrote:There was absolutely nothing going on in this that made me give a shit. It made little sense from a gameplay or cinematic perspective.
The whole thing was Kerrigan having a dream about being the Queen of Blades and destroying Korhal.

The problem with that is we're almost certainly getting that horrific ending that got leaked with that ridiculous "the zerg are free to choose their own destiny" thing and STILL have Kerrigan in control of the Zerg, just like before.

But the real problem I have with Starcraft II is how ridiculous the Terrans are-- they should be on the verge of total annihilation by now. They can't possibly have a population to be able to take millions of casualties within four years like they are right now and still be able to get flattened by the Zerg on a regular basis. The fact that Blizzard keeps insisting on this is silly.
-- Razorclaw X
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

You'd think the Terrans, being a militaristic race and everything by this point with years and years of warfare behind them, whose soldiers are battle hardened criminals and super genetically enhanced guys... would actually resemble a military force in tactics, cohesion, structure, architecture, and prose. Except, every time they are presented in sc2 (cinematics or not), they're mindless at best. There is no suspense of belief whatsoever.
Falchion

Post by Falchion »

IskatuMesk wrote:You'd think the Terrans, being a militaristic race and everything by this point with years and years of warfare behind them, whose soldiers are battle hardened criminals and super genetically enhanced guys... would actually resemble a military force in tactics, cohesion, structure, architecture, and prose. Except, every time they are presented in sc2 (cinematics or not), they're mindless at best. There is no suspense of belief whatsoever.
Amen to that. Not to mention the only reason Raynor managed to get away with it so many times in WoL was that his enemies were incompetent. By Bluzzlard's design, of course.

mark_009_vn
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Post by mark_009_vn »

IskatuMesk wrote:You'd think the Terrans, being a militaristic race and everything by this point with years and years of warfare behind them, whose soldiers are battle hardened criminals and super genetically enhanced guys... would actually resemble a military force in tactics, cohesion, structure, architecture, and prose. Except, every time they are presented in sc2 (cinematics or not), they're mindless at best. There is no suspense of belief whatsoever.
In the year 2420, most common military tactics have been replaced by the A-move button, you should've know this by now...

"I'm begging you, let me work!" - Osamu Tezuka