Anime: So whats good out there?

Moderator: Milldawg

WB
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: Anime: So whats good out there?

Post by WB »

Princess Mononoke, Howls Moving Castle, Akira (yes its old, but in case you havent seen it) Steamboy (haven't seen it, plan on it) and Spirited Away (again, haven't seen it yet, but plan to)

I never saw all of Cowboy Bebop, with all the projects im currently working on, its not like I have the time to do so now (or watch any of the billion animes Quantum wants me to watch)
Now with 50% more lol, 50% more win, and 100% phlail.
www.sc2campaigns.net - Coming Soon!!
muaddib
Terran Starport Baggage Handler

Post by muaddib »

samurai pizza cats, 1 classic, and hillarious anime i encountered, regarding a web site to view it, is beyond my grip and knowledge, at this juncture.  >:(
naruto, black cat, bleach, 1 piece,..death note was a bit wierd.
ghost in the shell: stand alone complex seasons 1-2,  and the 2 movies, i found pleasant.
princess monnooki, howl's castle and ,,, erm, the longest journy  were enjoyble to watch as well.
and, like warbringer, akira was , and still is awesome.
Last edited by muaddib on Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quirriff
Terran Barracks Laundry Master
Terran Barracks Laundry Master

Post by Quirriff »

Which one Piece are you refering to, The highly censored G rated version, or the real one?
muaddib

Post by muaddib »

i didnt know there were 2 versions  ???
might have been g rated though, less flaming :P
further more, i encountered a very outstanding, although a bit complex anime movie called: paprika.
i would say PG 14-16 on that one... :P
Marco
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Marco »

I don't know, I only watched one version of One Piece that was subtitled, but it was so unappealing that I turned it off before one episode concluded.  I guess I could give it another try.  I did turn off Bleach after the first episode too, but eventually went back to it after hearing people keep recommending it.  I don't know, something about that main character looking and acting completely retarded just made me shut it off.  I could tell it wasn't going to be a deep or thought provoking series.
The Music of Squad 303  (Celestial Reverie Music by Joel Steudler)

[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/anise.mp3]Anise McConnell[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/bryce.mp3]Bryce Littlefield[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/issac.mp3]Issac Rangel[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/tyson.mp3]Tyson Reznor[/url]

"That mutalisk must have seen your stoic beauty glistening in its eye and tried to die looking at an angel in heaven."
-- Bryce Littlefield
Milldawg
Zerg Defiler Nutritionist
Zerg Defiler Nutritionist

Post by Milldawg »

DUDE WATCH BASILISK

SERIOUSLY IT IS REALLY GOOD
Lingerance
Terran Refinery Attendant

Looking for an anime (not for the feint of heart)

Post by Lingerance »

A while back when CC was using the CC theme for phpBB (just before the Nova theme) there was a user (I think Palin?) who had an avatar of some anime girl who was hung from a noose and had broken pencils impaled into her eyes, Which anime was that?
Penguin?
The asterisk pony plays poker every Tuesday except after Mondays and only if the moon is pink.  His tell is he will always bluff while wearing a plaid tutu, the clouds are never monochromatic, catch them while white and fluffy, the black ones taste like robots.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: Looking for an anime (not for the feint of heart)

Post by IskatuMesk »

No, but there's no reason he couldn't have asked in the other thread. That's like people making topics about sc2 when there's already a gigantic sc2 topic right there.

edit - ALSO POST 666 LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO

edit II - Okay, I merged the threads and deleted the excess posts.

Unfortunately I lost my 666 post count, but that's okay... I'll get it by the end of today.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zilla-
Protoss Dragoon Shooting Target

Post by Zilla- »

So apparently there is a devil may cry anime, and being the whore for Dante that I am I watched episodes 1 +2, I'm still not sure of what to think except that it is very reminiscent of the games in that the missions seem like a simple thing to begin with but then shit hits the fan (ex. "HAY DUD TAK THIZ GURL 2 THAT HOUS BI TM KTHXBAI" or "LOLWINARACE") there are plenty of dudes getting shot and cut.

EDIT: K so, I got around to watching FLCL and i am pleased. The entire time I found myself laughing my ass off or actually shouting WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON. Although it makes no logical sense whatsoever it is by far the most fun I have ever had watching anime. If anyone knows a series with a similar "feel" or style please mention it.
Last edited by Zilla- on Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoelS
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by JoelS »

Someone already mentioned Claymore, but I will mention it again, because it deserves it.  It is brutal, and super good.  It starts off somewhat conventionally, but rapidly picks up steam and around episode 8 or so really becomes spectacular.  Lots of extremely intense action... but not at the expense of creating some very cool characters.

Also, watch The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.  Unless you hate anime.  In that case, don't watch it.  But especially if you liked, say, FLCL... watch it.  Its blend of humor, scifi, and weirdness is quite entertaining.
Grandma
Terran SCV Lube Technician
Terran SCV Lube Technician

Post by Grandma »

Zilla- wrote: EDIT: K so, I got around to watching FLCL and i am pleased. The entire time I found myself laughing my ass off or actually shouting WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON. Although it makes no logical sense whatsoever it is by far the most fun I have ever had watching anime. If anyone knows a series with a similar "feel" or style please mention it.
FLCL is fucking amazing in that it's so insane and nonsensical yet still incredibly entertaining. It's been a couple years since I saw it, but I still think it's the best anime I've ever laid eyes on.
Hello, mother leopard.
I have your cub.
You must protect her,
But that will be expensive...
10,000 kola nuts,
Wrapped in brown paper...
Midnight, behind the box
I'll be the hyena, you'll see.
VDJ
Terran Academy Student (50k mineral debt)
Terran Academy Student (50k mineral debt)

Post by VDJ »

Zilla- wrote: EDIT: K so, I got around to watching FLCL and i am pleased. The entire time I found myself laughing my ass off or actually shouting WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON. Although it makes no logical sense whatsoever it is by far the most fun I have ever had watching anime. If anyone knows a series with a similar "feel" or style please mention it.
Go for Excel Saga, Catsoup, Paranoia Agent. They aren't FLCL clones (if there are any), but have the same bizarre feeling to them. Oh yeah, even though Excel Saga is from the creators of Cowboy Bebop, it's nothing like it, it's just pure weirdness and parody (I suggest you watch CB before ES, so that you can fully understand some moments in the later). And Catsoup is the most psychedelic anime I've seen so far.
Zilla-

Post by Zilla- »

List of crap to watch:

Excel Saga: Seen first 2 episodes and I approve of the inanity, however I don't think it is possible to watch it for any real period of time simply because there is too much going on.

Basilisk: Promised milldawg I'd give it a chance because he has some sort of strange fetish about it, any second opinions?

Ranma 1/2: I've been intending to see this ever since I first picked up VotF all those years ago. I caught the first few episodes today and I am entertained so far. Reminds me a lot of Fushigi Yuugi.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya: Sounds promising, unfortunately I'm low on hard drive space for the moment and TV links expired it.

Escaflowne: I have heard nothing but goodness about it but still have yet to get around to see it.

Same goes for: I My Me, Rurouni Kenshin, and Neon Genesis Evangelion. I also want to revisit Sailor Moon, and other random crap that I vaguely remember from my childhood.
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Zilla- wrote:The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya: Sounds promising, unfortunately I'm low on hard drive space for the moment and TV links expired it.
It's good but it's important to know that the first episode is REALLY not revealing for the rest of the series. So if you find the first episode not of your taste, skip to the second episode ... the first episode isn't a prerequisite at all to understand the series (in fact, it would act better as a special odd episode around the mid-series).
Lingerance

Post by Lingerance »

Should also note with melancholy that the chronological order of the episodes is off; which is a bit awkward.

As for series I've seen an enjoyed:

Love Hina
Naruto
Negima (Manga only, one of the two anime makes looks like crap, dubbed and subbed)
Tekkamon Blade
Full Metal Panic
Full Metal Alchemist
Starship Operators
Rumbling Hearts (I say the subbed version before it was liscenced, don't remember Jap name off heart)
Ghost in the Shell
Trinity Blood
Hellsing
Steel Angel Kurumi
Beat to Death Angel Dokuro-chan (search Dokuro-chan; I used the translated name, no english version)
Divergence Eve (and Misaki Chronicles)
Samurai Champloo
FLCL
S-Cry-ed
Desert Punk
Pita Ten (Misha is my avatar)
Elfen Lied
Dirty Pair Flash
Ai Yori Aoshi
Bubble Gum Crisis Tokyo 2040
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Outlaw Star
Samurai X
Samurai Deeper Ryo
Genshiken (Think the spelling on that is incorrect)
Star Ocean
Rozen Maiden
Hyper Police
You're Under Arrest

I know I'm missing a bunch, grr, I acidentally formatted one of the partitions a bunch were on so I don't know.

I am going to watch Flame of Recca and Cutey Honey in the near future.

Also, if you ever want to find a good anime to watch wikipedia one that either looks interesting or you've enjoyed very much generally the anime entries cross-refence each other like crazy giving you a long list of animes that you might find interesting.

Zilla> Basilisk is awesome, it's like Romeo and Juliet except not horribly boring and with Ninjas and plot.
Last edited by Lingerance on Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Penguin?
The asterisk pony plays poker every Tuesday except after Mondays and only if the moon is pink.  His tell is he will always bluff while wearing a plaid tutu, the clouds are never monochromatic, catch them while white and fluffy, the black ones taste like robots.