Post by Taeradun »

hey so would anyone still be interested in this launcher idea? lol
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: Found A Work-around for Campaign Deployment

Post by IskatuMesk »

Your avatar is arousing.

I would be interested if I wasn't looking at having to rebuild a large chunk of my project that 1.5 deleted, and if the game had 3d support. Unfortunately... I really wouldn't want to ask of you to make work in the investment of a project that is very unlikely to come, so I can't throw in my support anymore.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Taeradun wrote:hey so would anyone still be interested in this launcher idea? lol
Go on...
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
GnaReffotsirk
Zerg Larva Herder
Zerg Larva Herder

Post by GnaReffotsirk »

Yeah, I am. If possible.

The new SC2 version kills any hope of large offline based campaigns.

How selfish blizzard has become.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

New sc2 version? Did they change something?
GnaReffotsirk
Zerg Larva Herder
Zerg Larva Herder

Post by GnaReffotsirk »

I think they changed the entire thing, granted I had to download like gigs of update. What happens now is when you run the shortcut, the SC2 loader thing comes up then checks for update, then gives you a play button.

Drag-and-drop thing doesn't work anymore. In the past, you just get to playing the map after drag-and-drop right? Now I have to log on and stuff, then nothing happens.

I don't know if this happens to everyone else though.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

You can always just run the menu map in the editor and push the test map button, no?

Clumsy, yes, but that's what you get when dealing with incompetent companies.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

While clumsy, that should still work, technically, and you could always make a blank "Launch" map with a trigger to just load the first map to prevent a player from seeing the actual map.

EDIT: If that still works.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Gradius
Terran Missile Turret Rotary Tester
Terran Missile Turret Rotary Tester

Post by Gradius »

Meh. I'm just going to stick to online publishing. Global play is coming, and Blizzard will probably let us load maps online....eventually.

The only downside is I can't use copyrighted music. =/
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

A single map of mine would exceed their space limit.

That's not including the mod that contains the unique responses and everything related.

oh voice acting, woe is you.
Taeradun
Protoss Khalai Missionary
Protoss Khalai Missionary

Post by Taeradun »

GnaReffotsirk wrote:Now I have to log on and stuff, then nothing happens.
oh whaaaaaat
Gradius wrote:The only downside is I can't use copyrighted music. =/
you can't anyway, hth
GnaReffotsirk
Zerg Larva Herder
Zerg Larva Herder

Post by GnaReffotsirk »

Gradius wrote:Meh. I'm just going to stick to online publishing. Global play is coming, and Blizzard will probably let us load maps online....eventually.

The only downside is I can't use copyrighted music. =/
True Grad. Thing is, using custom stuff like models and cinematic stuff will take huge space, and Blizzard hasn't given anything to this yet.

I have some ideas to justify their position, but I hope they do something for dedicated people that add content to their product. However few these people might be, I believe in the end there should be a space for people who at least asks for a spot.

But yeah to be honest, I don't feel a bit encouraged by Blizzard. It seems they don't want people to do good stuff with their game beyond what they allow.

Still waiting for the startools though.
UntamedLoli
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy

Post by UntamedLoli »

The only reason is control, otherwise we wouldn't be having this discussion in the first place.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Blizzard has never had any attachment to the custom content community, much less modders/campaign makers. The absolute most they've ever done is tell us "you can't do that" when someone named something containing the words "expansion" or "add-on". There's also the Sc2wc3 conversion they shot down because they were afraid it would compete with wc3 itself. The editors are just feature bulletpoints cobbled together out of their shit inhouse tools at the last minute in a desperate hope to make a bid for the niche squandered by like-minded stupid companies (bioware, EA, lmfao @ C&C3's editor). Not a single one of them actually care about us. The odd developer might, but the company as a whole does not. One developer doesn't make a difference. As with Blizzard, it's clear no one cares at all. All of the people we had that entered the company broke contact and won't utter a single word, or got moved on to locations of such irrelevance that it doesn't matter.

The people I talked with in irc were undoubtably interns sent there to pat us on the back and say "it's okay". Absolutely nothing has come from the efforts people like Ahli and myself went into giving them information, and there's no reason to think there will be. To think the amount of routes I've gone through, the amount of people I've sent information through into Blizzard, and not a single peep from the entire system.

You'd think with Andy Bond and co, the first people who made tools in Brood War, that there'd be some shred of competence or communication. But, no. I know exactly what's going on. Want a hint? Nothing. They don't care. They have no reason to care. We aren't casuals, so we aren't even on their radar.

Garbage company, garbage engines, garbage attitude. Anyone serious about this stuff, while having the skills necessary, has moved on or is hacking the game to meet their requirements just like the good old days, but it just isn't worth the trouble. The rest are merely in denial if they think the situation will "improve".

Blizzard doesn't care what we think or do, much less respect us. Anyone expecting favors from them is delusional.

/edit

So, if you want campaigns, try the test map idea. Make a menu map controlled via banks that links you to all the missions. See if test map will let it link up. If so, you've got your sloppy workaround. It's the only way unless you reverse the exe, and I'm sure no one is left in the community with the skills to do that.
GnaReffotsirk
Zerg Larva Herder
Zerg Larva Herder

Post by GnaReffotsirk »

Wow. Now I know.