Path Branches

Created by RazorclawX, Wanderers of Sorceria tells an epic length story through multiple chapters and books for WarCraft III.

Moderator: RazorclawX

thearpox
Terran Settler (Unemployed)

Path Branches

Post by thearpox »

I'm playing Wanderers of Sorceria right now, and I'm up to chapter 3 (Great game by the way). I like to play with all the story possibilities laid open before me, so I've been using the official WoS page path branches. However, they end at chapter 2.

Does it mean there are no path branches in chapter 3 and beyond? Otherwise, are they covered anywhere?
Xeth-Ban
Fired! Blocking the entrance with a “supply fort” is an inappropriate use of company minerals
Fired! Blocking the entrance with a “supply fort” is an inappropriate use of company minerals

Re: Path Branches

Post by Xeth-Ban »

Plenty of path branches in book 3 and beyond as well, though I don't think they're listed in detail anywhere.

To name a couple of examples:

Book 3, Chapter 1 ---> How you handle the murlocs will have far-reaching consequences, stretching far into book 5

Book 4, Chapter 1 ---> Failing the siege machines quest will result in Abolisher suggesting another siege machine-based strategy later on.

Some are mentioned on the secrets page, though not with the "cause and effect" details of the path branches page.
thearpox

Post by thearpox »

So what are those consequences, with the murlocks, and so on? Could someone (Razorclaw X?) list them for me? I'm sorry if it seems like I'm demanding something, but I really have trouble with making decisions and then having some weird far-reaching consequences suddenly happening so me.

It's the trouble I have with almost all branching games, because they are in a Silicon Valley for me; they require you to choose and make decisions, but they do not feel enough like real life to actually feel like you are that character that is making them and not just distributing points (Both Deux Ex's, Planescape Torment, and The Witcher 2 are sample exceptions). For all that, WoS manages to come close, just not close enough.
Xeth-Ban

Post by Xeth-Ban »

The consequences are essentially that you will get the murlocs as minor allies in some missions and minor enemies in others if you help them out. I can't remember the exact missions, but they don't impact things THAT much, even if they can be a bloody nuisance or welcome help in certain missions.

If you slaughter them instead, they'll just not appear in any future missions. (I did that in NG+ because I wanted to crush Artesia with the Black Dream lol)

I would recommend just going with one set of choices in one playthrough and then another in NG+. More fun that way, IMO
thearpox

Post by thearpox »

The thing is, I probably won't be going back and replayeing it again (maybe on god mode). I don't usualy replay games, and I don't exactly have time for that. But thanks for the reply. By the way, does killing or sparing the town leader in the first mission affect anything?
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

thearpox wrote:So what are those consequences, with the murlocks, and so on? Could someone (Razorclaw X?) list them for me? I'm sorry if it seems like I'm demanding something, but I really have trouble with making decisions and then having some weird far-reaching consequences suddenly happening so me.
Just go with what you feel. There's nothing that's catastrophically bad, it just changes how things are done here and there. Some of them are relatively minor; for instance in Book 3 failing all the missions with Bannon actually unlocks another mission later.

Other than the ones mentioned, there's a big one at the end of Book 4, but that would be telling.
thearpox wrote:By the way, does killing or sparing the town leader in the first mission affect anything?
Nah. that's just for fun. He dies either way.
-- Razorclaw X
Creator of Wanderers of Sorceria and Vision of the Future
thearpox

Post by thearpox »

Alright. Thanks for the answers, Razorclaw and Bath. I suppose I will go play WoS right about now.
I really feel better now about the entire thing.