Diablo 3 beta

Moderator: Milldawg

Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Re: Diablo 3 beta

Post by Lavarinth »

Only Belial impressed me. At first I thought "god, what is this? All the bosses are less entertaining than fighting mobs," then I thought back at D2 and realized it was pretty much the same situation. All the bosses just sort of stand there and take it.

I'm a Wizard, but I can tell you you missed something as I've just melee'd the bosses as well for achievements on Normal once I reached Hell. Butcher is only entertaining due to the arena, not the actual Butcher himself. Belial on the other hand is more dynamic due to his phases and having to run around. I'm not a big fan of the rinse-repeat process of gaming, but it was more entertaining than, say, Diablo or Azmodan were. I wish they actually had voluntary feedback forms per battle. That was one thing WarHammer Online got right: Complete a quest, fill out a survey if you want with details about it to let us now if it's stupid or amazing. If that were the case though, I'm sure most entries would just talk about Diablo's emotional trauma after so many deaths that he's gender-bending.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Hah. tor had a survey and every time it popped up I gave them ascii goatse.
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

Lavarinth wrote: I'm a Wizard, but I can tell you you missed something as I've just melee'd the bosses as well for achievements on Normal once I reached Hell. Butcher is only entertaining due to the arena, not the actual Butcher himself.
Yeah. I only say that because the Butcher reminded me of a boss in one of the Ys games while I was doing it.

ED: oh yeah, while I'm at it... I know Diablo isn't really known for its music, but it just sucks. Period.
-- Razorclaw X
Creator of Wanderers of Sorceria and Vision of the Future
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

RazorclawX wrote:
Lavarinth wrote: I'm a Wizard, but I can tell you you missed something as I've just melee'd the bosses as well for achievements on Normal once I reached Hell. Butcher is only entertaining due to the arena, not the actual Butcher himself.
Yeah. I only say that because the Butcher reminded me of a boss in one of the Ys games while I was doing it.

ED: oh yeah, while I'm at it... I know Diablo isn't really known for its music, but it just sucks. Period.
Whoa, whoa. I know Diablo for it's music. D1 and D2. D3, however, has not caught my ears at all aside Diablo's theme. I love the entire soundtrack of D1 and D2 (and own them), but D3's is.. Not as catching. Matt Uelmen definitely knew what he was doing.
- - Lavarinth
UntamedLoli
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy

Post by UntamedLoli »

The only thing I can remember of D3's "music" was badly placed guitar riffs every time a champion/unique/boss died that made it feel like I was playing CoD.

All the story and cinematic crap they mashed into the game takes away from playing too much. I really don't feel it has a place in the forefront for what Diablo is. Especially when you are forced into it each and every time.
Hercanic
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Post by Hercanic »

Hunter_Killers wrote:All the story and cinematic crap they mashed into the game takes away from playing too much. I really don't feel it has a place in the forefront for what Diablo is. Especially when you are forced into it each and every time.
That's why I have "Close All Windows" bound to my middle mouse button. It works to speed through all dialogue, including those without a caption box.
UntamedLoli

Post by UntamedLoli »

Space bar skips through just about everything, the problem is thats its even necessary. It's generally alternating between spacebar and esc whenever cinematics are involved.

I also have a new hatred for the respawn timer trying to get anywhere in A2 Inferno on my Wizard. Most of it is "Can't kill this, time to drag it into a corner!". It gets pretty old when you have to do it for most of the champion packs.

IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

I've watched HKS stream this game (amongst others) and I really have to wonder what the hell they were thinking with the broken hit detection. Most monster melee attacks seem guaranteed to hit you so long if they simply initiate no matter where you're standing when they swing. This compounds the broken stat ramping in inferno so much. That would be reasonable if this glaring problem didn't exist.

Oh blizzard.
Hercanic

Post by Hercanic »

Dear Blizzard:
Choosing to use the opening menu riff, of which we've been desensitized to by now, for the climactic slow-mo scene of Imperius striking Diablo across the cheek with his glaive is both unfitting and unimpactful. The same goes for cueing it randomly throughout the later levels of Act IV. I understand this was meant to be your central theme, but you have to change it up somehow for it to be at all interesting.

Diablo's mouth movements for speaking? Yeeeaahh, might as well not have had that. Looked goofy, like a sock puppet or something equally inarticulate. Also, should he seek a dentist? He seems to be missing most of his teeth from the concept art. Watch out everyone, or Diablo will gum you to death!

Speaking of Diablo, his design... meh. Feminine with bulbous spikes that restricted his movements and a little chicken neck. I didn't find him all that intimidating. He needs to be able to move, not strut with a butt wiggle.

Please STOP overprocessing voices to the point of being barely understandable!
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Blizzard's voices aren't so much overprocessed as they are just very poorly processed period. They really have not a single audio engineer on their entire team.

Proof -

HKS streamed to me the entirety of act 4 and it was seriously the saddest shit I've seen in this genre. Diablo's writing is exceedingly horrifically bad. The music and art direction clash in so many different ways. On Hell difficulty the AI is still just as buggy and broken as it was in freaking d2. They really had no idea what they were doing. Must have been crunch time every day all day.
YOU SHALL NEVER CLOSE MY HELL RIFT

AH YOU CLOSED MY HELL RIFT BUT YOU WILL NEVER CLOSE THE OTHER HELL RIFT

IF YOU CLOSE THE HELL RIFT IT WILL CONSUME YOU

AH YOU CLOSED IT BUT I DONT NEED THEM TO DESTROY YOU

YOU MIGHT HAVE BEATEN ME BUT MY DIALOGUE IS BAD
Also, those "micro cinematics" you get throughout act 4 were not thought out. They only recite shit you already know, they look cheesy, and you can spend more time decompressing them from the mpq than actually watching them. Like they wanted to bloat act 4's size but didn't want to put any actual effort into the game.

On the bright side, my guy's voice is probably one of the best sounding ones in the entire game! Yay!
Hercanic

Post by Hercanic »

Yeah, I was suprised by how prominent Iskatu is, that he isn't some random rare but an actual boss. He even looks cool.
mark_009_vn
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Post by mark_009_vn »

Hercanic wrote:Yeah, I was suprised by how prominent Iskatu is, that he isn't some random rare but an actual boss. He even looks cool.
I think Blizzard was just trolling him. :3

"I'm begging you, let me work!" - Osamu Tezuka
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

I sincerely wish this game was not server-side so I could mod it. I would clean up this town.
Mucky
Protoss Khalai Missionary
Protoss Khalai Missionary

Post by Mucky »

i'm so glad i didn't buy this game
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Hercanic wrote:Yeah, I was suprised by how prominent Iskatu is, that he isn't some random rare but an actual boss. He even looks cool.
Personally, I couldn't stand Diablo reciting every boss' name.. "Iskatu.. get him" "Boss 2.. get her" "Tyrael look it's Boss 3" ... Thought you were busy conquering heaven, why you peering over my shoulder, bro-err.. chick? err.. bro?
- - Lavarinth