[Question] How to make BW Wireframes?

Falchion
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist
Location: Bragança Paulista, Brazil (Da most borin' place in the world)

[Question] How to make BW Wireframes?

Post by Falchion »

I've been on some decent progress thus far, but I'm quite stalled on the matter of making unit/building/stuff wireframes for Starcraft: Broodwar. Even Zerg custom wireframes.

I've tried looking for tutorials on how to make them, but the search browsers just got even more flooded on how to make Starcraft II wireframes, and I'm only interested in Brood War on the moment.

If anyone has an answer or light to shed on this, I'll be deeply appreciated.

NOTE: Talking about making NEW wireframes, not replacing them.
How I became a troll in a single post (And you can too!!! :D ): link

Church
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager

Re: [Question] How to make BW Wireframes?

Post by Church »

To the best that I know, you cannot add new wireframes. You have to replace existing ones.

Wireframes are basically 'attached' to a unit anyway. So, for example, if you are replacing the Torrasque unit, you would edit the specific Torrasque wireframe - which is not the same as the ultralisk one. Not sure which is which, though, so that might take some trial and error.
Taeradun
Protoss Khalai Missionary

Post by Taeradun »

they're in the GRP files that are in a wirefram folder or something, with the GRP frame index corresponding to the unit's index in units.dat

look at an existing wireframe for reference, take a frame of your unit sprite at the appropriate angle and resize it as necessary, then trace over the top in a new layer with the colours from the reference wireframe, fill in the background behind it and make adjustments as necessary for the associated transport & group wireframes

simple
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Taeradun has explained this perfectly.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Taeradun

Post by Taeradun »

there could be a bit of confusion with the palette though; you need to draw the lines in the colours with the right palette index (there are 4 colours for terran/protoss wireframe, 4 for zerg heat map and 2 for protoss shields) and if you export the GRP with the standard units palette the colours don't really stand out, but I think most GRP editors also have a built-in icons & wireframes palette that makes them contrast better