[UPDATE] HotS Multiplayer

Falchion
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist
Location: Bragança Paulista, Brazil (Da most borin' place in the world)

[UPDATE] HotS Multiplayer

Post by Falchion »

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/483387 ... _2012#blog

For people who want a shorter version of things:

- Shredder and Replicant are gone from Multi and there's serious discussion concerning the Mini-thor (Warhound). Should they keep the Thor in HotS, they want to test an AA spider mine, but they are also pondering if this is meaningful because of Terran Marines.

- Terrans are testing an extreme long range Missile Launcher meant to be anti-Siege Tank for TvT factory plays.

- Blizzard is having problems balancing Terran since they did all they could in WoL. They are focusing on Factory units, who they think they're light on options.

- Oracle, Swarm Host and Viper continue on, doing their job.

- Overseer stays on HotS. Viper is now a third, pure caster.

- Tempest is now a Guardian with AoE damage for ground and air. No intentions in returning the Carrier or Mothership yet.

- Replicant's ability prevented players from building certain units (i.e. Siege Tanks, Roaches, Mustaches, Thors, Immortals), causing it to be cut for genuine cockblocking.

- In addition to Abduct, Viper now can blind infantry, reducing their attack range to 1. Vipers can also 'eat' minerals for additional energy. (This makes it too unbalanced, like Replicant, IMO)

- New Nydus Worm types under development. One can shoot creep across the screen and make an attack highway and the other has a Reaper attack (Buildings only.)
How I became a troll in a single post (And you can too!!! :D ): link

Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Re: [UPDATE] HotS Multiplayer

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

While the Shredder and Repliant could be "okay" for campaign play, I was always very hesitant about them in HotS multiplayer.

Like a comment I saw, if you try to add something with more range than the most ranged unit (tanks) to counter it, you should go back to the drawing board.

Personally, I prefer that the Overseer stays. While Viper being able to give detection to a unit sounds good in theory, it's hard for yourself due to remembering which unit can detect then for enemies due to randomly your force and hope they kill the "hidden" detector.

Still dislike the Tempest having AoE damage. In mass games, everyone is much more likely to get Protoss just to mass the Tempest and then AoE everything.

Ultimately, I guess the best thing in all this is there should be more multiple Developer Updates over time (and not just a one-time show). Thus actually having an idea in mind of what's in Blizzard's mind regardless if it's good or bad. Honestly, it's better than them being completely silent except to "show off".

EDIT : Hmm, the update says "Siege weapon" for the Tempest and not necessarily AoE. "Siege" could imply a fairly high range, added "vs structure" damage or AoE depending on one's definition.
Falchion

Post by Falchion »

Ricky_Honejasi wrote:Like a comment I saw, if you try to add something with more range than the most ranged unit (tanks) to counter it, you should go back to the drawing board.
Well, you'll call me retarded, but there's something I'm making right now (Coincidence, obviously) that uses an air unit with a missile attack with a far longer range than the Siege Tank. I countered it's overuse then with a very short sight range, requiring scouts, and a ridiculously long attack rate, longer than a Siege Tank.

/edit Also, while Siege Tank is AoE, this missile attack is powerful vs 1 unit only, preferably structures.

Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Oh yeah, still in favor in keep the Carrier over having the Tempest for multiplayer. It just need to be buffed right. Warhounds might as well just be replaced by goliaths overall.
Falchion wrote: Well, you'll call me retarded, but there's something I'm making right now (Coincidence, obviously) that uses an air unit with a missile attack with a far longer range than the Siege Tank. I countered it's overuse then with a very short sight range, requiring scouts, and a ridiculously long attack rate, longer than a Siege Tank.

/edit Also, while Siege Tank is AoE, this missile attack is powerful vs 1 unit only, preferably structures.
Well at least you limited your unit's usage in some form or another. However since the sight range is kind of standard in SC2 multiplayer, odds are their long-range missile unit would have the same sight or so.
Falchion

Post by Falchion »

Ricky_Honejasi wrote:Oh yeah, still in favor in keep the Carrier over having the Tempest for multiplayer. It just need to be buffed right. Warhounds might as well just be replaced by goliaths overall.
How would you buff the Carrier, in your opinion?

Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Falchion wrote:How would you buff the Carrier, in your opinion?
While I won't claim to be an expert in terms of balance but I guess for standard multiplayer, it's a reduction from 120 build time to 90 that the carrier probably need most to be viable. Remember that you also need 32 build time on the carrier to build those 4 interceptors after that 120 build time. So you pretty much need 152 just to make a single carrier fully ready.

Hence being probably the #1 reason why most skip carriers in favor of void rays that do the most of a similar job. Void rays also don't need a fleet beacon either and so on.
mark_009_vn
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Post by mark_009_vn »

- Terrans are testing an extreme long range Missile Launcher meant to be anti-Siege Tank for TvT factory plays.
There have never been any tank push orientated TvT plays in WoL yet they considered making a counter for it? WOW WHAT A BALANCE BLIZZARD !

Blizzard's seems to have completely forgot how to balance entirely. Because to be serious, there is no way you could balance the game by adding and removing stuff just because you think it'd "works better for X race in Y situations". Balancing an RTS game, be any games, requires you to go down to the very core mechanics of the race, modify it until it is most flexible and tangible, then change the units until it fits to that core mechanics. Unfortunately for Blizzard, there isn't a very good core mechanic for the three races (I wonder if it even have it at all), so in theory, there is no way anybody can balance the game unless it is totally gutted and rebuilt from scratch.

Also I wonder where AA spider mines comes from? AA Hellion?

"I'm begging you, let me work!" - Osamu Tezuka
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

Falchion wrote: - In addition to Abduct, Viper now can blind infantry, reducing their attack range to 1. Vipers can also 'eat' minerals for additional energy. (This makes it too unbalanced, like Replicant, IMO)
They should just cut to the chase and call them Defilers at that point (not to mention I'd rather they eat other Zerg than Minerals directly, but by then the thing really is a Defiler).
-- Razorclaw X
Creator of Wanderers of Sorceria and Vision of the Future