Moderator: Milldawg

Church
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager

[SCBW] Resonance -- Completed

Post by Church »

Resonance on ModDB

Name: Jim_Raynor
Direction: Resonance tells the tale of Lieutenant Kevan Storm of the Koprulu Liberation Front. Sent on a covert ops mission with his squad to the frozen Dominion wasteland of Floe, his primary objective is to scout the area and assess whether or not it would be profitable to destroy the Dominion encampment there. A surprise assault from the Zerg appears, and his ship crash lands, killing his men... and forcing him to work with the Dominion forces of Floe.

As the events of Resonance unfold, Storm will begin to find his true allegiance... as well as become part of a much larger plot that begins to unfold around him.

DOWNLOAD RESONANCE - 158.6 MB
Note: Using the level skipping cheat (there is no cow level) will cause the missions to desynch and return to the original Brood War Terran campaign.

Remember to play on normal speed settings, one notch above the center. This is mandatory. Many of the timings of the cutscenes rely strongly on the speed being at normal.
For bug reports and questions about Resonance, contact Jim_Raynor at jimmahfox@hotmail.com

IF THE GAME CRASHES AT THE CAMPAIGN SCREEN:
Pr0nogo wrote:Ey, my copy of it crashed when I got to the title screen. It was on an XP computer, so I don't know if that was the cause (because I think it worked fine when I had run it on my Vista). I renamed/deleted rez\expcmpgn.bin and it worked when I selected the UED campaign. Just a little heads up.

Chapter 1 - Floe Screenshots
Chapter 2 - Vim and Vigor Screenshots
Soundtrack Preview
Development Log 1
Last edited by Church on Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:15 pm, edited 15 times in total.
HelpMe
Terran Dropship Flight Attendant

Re: [SCBW] Resonance

Post by HelpMe »

This sounds like a nice and structured plot, Jim. It's good to know in advance where you're taking the story, it makes things easier. "Floe" is a fitting name for a land of ice as well.

Just one thing though, you might wanna correct the "asses" typo to "assess" (though I admit it raised my interest by a notch or two, lol). ;)

Btw I'm struggling with finals this week but soon I'll be able to put more time into our modding thing. ;D

In the mean time, get to work on this Resonance of yours! Cheers
Church

Post by Church »

HelpMe wrote:This sounds like a nice and structured plot, Jim. It's good to know in advance where you're taking the story, it makes things easier. "Floe" is a fitting name for a land of ice as well.
Thanks! There's have more to come, soon. :]
HelpMe wrote:Just one thing though, you might wanna correct the "asses" typo to "assess" (though I admit it raised my interest by a notch or two, lol). ;)
BAHAHAHAH OMG LOL I DON'T KNOW HOW I MISSED THAT
AAHAHAHAHA
HelpMe wrote:Btw I'm struggling with finals this week but soon I'll be able to put more time into our modding thing. ;D

In the mean time, get to work on this Resonance of yours! Cheers
Cool, take your time dude!
And yes, Resonance is on its way! ;)
Taeradun
Protoss Khalai Missionary

Post by Taeradun »

Jim_Raynor wrote:Koprulu Liberation Front
aww hell yeahhhh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXEOESuiYcA
Campaign Creations
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Campaign Creations »

Approved, and thanks for your submission.
Church

Post by Church »

Working on a series of stories about Kevan's training. Here's part one. More soon! :gah:

Hmm, seems my tabs aren't working. Ah, well.

---

Kevan had only been on the shuttle to Abaddon for a few hours, but doubts were already creeping out of the caverns of his mind. He took another look around the small dropship. The reddish-black roof was low, the seats were hard, and the men were all tall and gruff. A quick count – only eight men seemed to fit inside. An alert sounded over the comms system. “Descent begins in five minutes.”

A big man nearby sat up straight and chuckled. “Well, it is about time.” He had a deep, rumbling voice. “I’m looking forward to kicking some Dominion ass.”

A tough looking guy next to him grinned toothlessly, and reached over and hit his arm lightly. “Yeah, man, we’re gonna have a hell of a time.”

Kevan shook his head a bit. These guys had only joined for the glory. He paused a moment and reflected why he himself had joined. His home planet was a backwater world, heavily oppressed by the Dominion Government. After a new tax law was issued, his family became bankrupt. Watching his mother starve to death, he had vowed to his father that he would make the Dominion pay for what they had done.

Now, almost a year later, Kevan had joined the Koprulu Liberation Front. The KLF was an arm bent upon destroying the Dominion for revenge on all they had done to them. He ran a hand through his hair and began to feel extremely out of place, not for the first time on the voyage. He was short, skinny, and needed a haircut. Most of the other guys on the ship were tall and muscular.

Kevan was pulled from his thoughts as a woman stepped from the cockpit into the seated area. She reached up and grabbed a handhold above her head. “Hold on to your socks, girlies.” Some of the men grumbled, and she smiled. “We’re entering the hot zone.”

With a sudden jerk, the dropship and Kevan’s hopes plummeted toward Abaddon. This wasn’t the time for second thoughts, of course, but Kevan’s mind was full of them…

---

The dropship and the others nearby eased into the KLF starport. Docking carefully, all ships were immediately scanned for Dominion agents. An official looking man nodded and signaled with his hand.

A sharp hissing noise was heard, and, with some clanging, the dropship doors opened. A huge mess of people exited them, and they were directed to a waiting room.

Kevan felt very claustrophobic, but pushed his way through. He looked at the mess around him and wished he were somewhere else.

The large man from the shuttle shoved him out of the way. “Move it, kid. I’m walkin’ here.”

An man with a strong Italian accent yelled out, “Larry! Larry, get over here! Name calling is soon!” The room was loud.

Kevan raised his eyes to a podium ahead. A thin man stood in front of it, and said in a loud voice into the mic, “Silence.” He looked around the room. Nobody seemed to be silent.

He motioned to a dark skinned man next to him. The man stepped up to the mic and yelled, “Everyone, shut the hell up!” Now, there was silence.

The thin man took his place in front of the podium. “Thank you, Lars.” He turned his attention to the strange looking congregation before him. “First, I would like to extend my deepest thanks to everyone in this room. I am Commander Todd Jones, and I am the leader of this contingent of the KLF. We fight for a better future, and we will succeed.” He smiled warmly at the men. “Now, we will go over the list of trainees. As your name is called, step through there, and you will be assigned to your bunks. In the morning, we will have preliminary tests to fully understand your skills and choose where to place you.”

Lars handed Commander Jones a list, and Jones began to read off names. “Adams, John.” A man raised his hand, and proceeded to the next room. Jones nodded and continued the list.

“Andrews, Kyle.”

“Armstrong, Ashley.”

“Baker, Frederick.”

“Baker, John.”

“Banks, Isaac.”

“Bates, Thomas.”

“Baum, Mary.”

The list went on and on. As, Knight, Arnold and Lester, Harvey passed through, and Lindel, Charles, and Lutz, George, Kevan found himself unconsciously tuning everything out, until –

“Smith, Benjamin.”

The large man from the ship shoved past Kevan. “I’m here.” He passed through the doors.

“Smith, Timothy.”

A man not much taller than Kevan passed through the doors, and Kevan began to hold his breath.

“Storm, Kevan.”

Kevan wetted his dry lips and said, “I’m here.” He passed through the doors.

A man with glasses looked up. “Hey.”

“Hi,” said Kevan. “I’m Kevan. Storm.”

“Yeah, I know,” said the man. “Let’s see… you’ll be bunking in room 4a, quadrant C. Your bunkmates are already in there waiting. Have a good stay. Good luck, and aim high!” The man smiled.

Kevan nodded shakily, and set off down the hallway. His aims weren’t overly high at the moment.
Last edited by Church on Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Church

Post by Church »

I've got a new, hopefully expandable, music program; MuseScore.

Here's a little somthin' I whipped up recently. This will be the briefing theme for Resonance. Enjoy, and let me know any thoughts/critique you have.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUTXMtRFFLg
Last edited by Church on Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Taeradun

Post by Taeradun »

you should probably look into getting some better samples and switching to different music software if necessary, since that sounds like a basic MIDI file which is pretty painful :\ I liked where you were going with it, though :)

also ideally you should use a site like soundcloud or youtube to host your music previews, or at the very least convert to MP3 if you're going to stick with slow filelockers
Church

Post by Church »

Okay, uploading to Youtube. Edit: Done.
Taeradun wrote:you should probably look into getting some better samples and switching to different music software if necessary, since that sounds like a basic MIDI file which is pretty painful :\ I liked where you were going with it, though :)
Unfortunately, I saved this using MuseScore's exporter, so this is about as good as it gets. I'll look around for some new software, though, and I'll see what I can find.
HelpMe

Post by HelpMe »

Didn't notice you had posted a music piece. Like Taeradun said it sounds a bit grating, probably due to the sound quality. The tune itself has a cool mojo to it, I like it. It's appropriate as a briefing track, I can picture it in conjunction with the titles. Keep at it. :]
Church

Re: [SCBW] Resonance [Dev Log 1]

Post by Church »

Hello, people.

I'm working on a big development log as we speak, but there's really no way I can get it done within the month, sorry! You'll have to make due with this boring text post.

I'm just about finished the first map and I have some terrain done for the later ones. All that's really left for chapter one is a few finalization things with the voice acting.

Also here are some screenshots for the ravenous fans!

Last edited by Church on Thu May 31, 2012 7:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
HelpMe

Post by HelpMe »

Well, well... Kevan's portrait looks really cool. Good idea to take the wraith's portrait and modify it, the result is pretty convincing.

Floe is looking nice as well. I hope you're not going crazy on the doodads. Remember, balance is key. ;)

I've already told you this, but the premise for this campaign is one of the reasons I'm looking forward to it. We need more unfamiliar, out-of-ordinary stories. It makes things more unpredictable.

Keep it up! :]
Church

Post by Church »

Thanks! The portrait itself was actually made by TheBest. I am currently waiting for confirmation that I can use it.

The thing I struggled with the most with selecting his portrait was finding a portrait where his face was visible yet it still felt ghost-like. This portrait suited my purposes perfectly. We'll have to see if I'm able to use it, though! :D

Yes, balance, I know ;) It's fun to just throw a bunch of doodads somewhere sometimes, but I'll do my best to keep it realistic at the same time.

One of the things I've liked the most with campaigns is plots that are really new, and I'm hoping to pay a tribute to that. Things like Life of a Marine, The Flame Knives, and a whole bunch of others are some of my biggest inspirations. Maybe someday I will be able to create something that lives up to those!
Ling666
Terran Settler (Unemployed)
Terran Settler (Unemployed)

Post by Ling666 »

The portrait makes me think that wraith-ghosts would be scary O.o Imagine a wraith with the ability to call down tactical nukes ;D
"Who is more foolish: The child afraid of the dark, or the man afraid of the light?" - Maurice Freehill
Church

Re: [SCBW] Resonance (Dev Log 1)

Post by Church »

Development Log
I've been working away at Resonance for the past little while, but I've kept a lot of what I've done under wraps. Today I'm going to showcase some things, starting with my terrain philosophy, and then gameplay, and then move on to music, and conclude with a little plot preview. Hopefully, these will give you a bit of something to look forward to!

1. Terrain
Before starting Resonance, I had almost no experience with ice terrain. The last time I did any work for it was with Gas, and that terrain was sub-par, to say the least. After deciding that I would use the ice planet Floe, I knew I had a bit of a challenge on my hands.
With terraining ice maps, there are a whole bunch of options. Certain tilesets have so few terrain choices and so few doodads that there's not a whole lot you can do to look unique. Ice terrain is to the opposite extreme - there are so many options, it can be hard to choose what theme you want to create with your map.
I wanted to give Floe a distinctive look, and I think, so far, I've succeeded in that aspect. I have a balance of frozen lakes, and snowy cliffs, with a whole bunch of abandoned structures lying around, to really show how the Dominion presence has affected the place. I'm pretty satisfied with what I've created for it, and it's helpful to use this as a benchmark for what style to create in the later Floe maps.

2. Gameplay
The first chapter of Resonance, Floe, is a fairly average mission for the gameplay. When the mission starts, you control Storm in your exploration of the map, before meeting up with the Dominion and getting more troops. Generally, the gameplay speeds up as you go along, to give the player time to get used to the environment.
You never gain control of the Dominion base, so essentially, you get some troops and order them around to complete your objectives. This is not exactly 'new gameplay,' for sure, but I try to keep enough fancy stuff in it to keep you interested.
Kevan is no ordinary ghost. He has a proper ghost suit, but the KLF was unable to get their hands on a proper C-10 Canister rifle. As such, he was provided with a Shock Rifle. Storm's rifle can do substantial damage to the Zerg, and has a chance of causing their muscles to 'freeze up' and make them immoble for a short time. I'm planning on giving him a new spell as well, soon.

3. Music
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2Rn-tDbkhY
Because of the negative response for the sound quality of MuseScore, I've opted to return to MusicShake for the time being.

With designing the music in Resonance, I wanted to make a type of song that would be distinctive, memorable, and not too distracting. I've used a lot of synths in it, and it might just be me, but I think it goees well with the ice setting. Creating the music has been one of the most enjoyable aspects of Resonance so far.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwqbTU6B6JY

4. Plot

Resonance is about Kevan Storm, as he is forced into a Dominion world and lies to save his life, and the choices he has to make when they are thrust upon him.

The short stories that I've begun to write will lead into Resonance. They will be about Kevan's training within the KLF headquarters on Abaddon, the discovery of his psionic powers, and explanations for each of his squad members - which, incidentally, die when Resonance begins. This should give a bit of an insight to the type of world I'm creating with Resonance, and make a little excitement for it!
Last edited by Church on Thu May 31, 2012 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.