Contestants Finalized - Contest Begins Now!

Contest Begins: November 21st, 2011
Contest Entry Cut Off Date: December 31st, 2011
Contest Monthly Updates Start: January 1st, 2012
Contest Ends: July 31st, 2012

Moderator: Milldawg

Hercanic
Protoss Stargate Concierge
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Re: Contestants Finalized - Contest Begins Now!

Post by Hercanic »

This appears to be the source of confusion:
Campaign Contest Rules wrote:
REQUIREMENTS:
... All contestants participating will have to meet the following simple requirements to have a valid entry to this contest:

• Scheduled "check in" updates must be made at least once a month. Please keep in mind this in the most minimal amount of check ins, and more discussion will grant further points, a break down is stated in scoring.
Campaign Contest Rules wrote:
JUDGEMENT:

• PROFESSIONALISM: Overall, your completed project will not solely be played because it was created. It must be presented properly and professionally to your potential players. Introducing someone to your project with a quick synopsis with a download link will quickly attract more players than a title and download link. Inside your project, players will continue playing if you follow through with your pitch and your attention to detail of it. In this situation, are you following the lore properly and are you getting a good grasp of the characters and how you are presenting them. This criteria also has a few points dedicated to monthly updates to define professionalism in keeping your potential players updated. Participating in the general community discussion as well as the entries of other participants will help make up lost points or grant minimal bonus points. This criteria is judged from a 1-10 scale, 10 being the highest score (with a possible max of 13 after 3 bonus points).
On the one hand, monthly updates are listed as a requirement. On the other, they are given a point value, with more points for greater discussion. The underlined bit is key, because it implies there is a point value for fulfilling a base requirement. If something has a point value, it can be assumed to be optional. Not doing it carries the loss of those points, but you could make them up in other areas. Requirements, on the other hand, are a binary option: do them or don't compete. By attributing points to a requirement, you are polluting your rating system, because all entries would invariably have those points by default (because those that don't aren't judged, as they aren't valid entries).

I admit I was confused by this myself, and made the assumption that updates were part of professionalism: I could miss an update and only be docked points in that category.

I think a clarification in language is needed, because I can see at least two intentions:
  1. Update once a month or be disqualified. More frequent updates, and participation in other contestant’s threads and the broader Campaign Creations community, will result in Professionalism points.
  2. Update once a month or be docked in your Professionalism score. More frequent updates, and participation in other contestant’s threads and the broader Campaign Creations community, will result in bonus Professionalism points.
HelpMe
Terran Dropship Flight Attendant

Post by HelpMe »

Thanks Hercanic for addressing this thoroughly. Now I guess we just wait for the bigshots to clarify the situation.

Personally, I think that even if a contestant has no means to make an update or nothing new worth showing, he should at least make a token post saying what he's been struggling with etc., just so we know he hasn't abandoned the project. I don't think that's too much to ask, really.
IskatuMesk wrote:For every hour past an update deadline you lose an organ.
D:
Laconius
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Laconius »

Hercanic wrote:More frequent updates, and participation in other contestant’s threads and the broader Campaign Creations community, will result in Professionalism points.
TIME TO START SPAMMING THREADS WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Ours is a thought-tormented age.
Pr0nogo
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy

Post by Pr0nogo »

I presume professionalism points are docked by 9,001 for ticking off Lav.
HelpMe

Post by HelpMe »

I wonder how many active contestants we still have. :shock: