Contest Monthly Updates Start: January 1st, 2012
Contest Ends: July 31st, 2012

Moderator: Milldawg

TassadarZeratul
Terran Supply Depot Clerk

Re: Campaign Creations Campaign Contest

Post by TassadarZeratul »

I was working on Iconoclast, and had some ideas I rather liked from a mod perspective. Unfortunately, it ended up being something I doubt I can make an AI for, let alone a campaign. Would it be allowed to remove Iconoclast from this contest and use an alternate idea (which I already have)?
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Yes, just make the new post and note the reason for double entry and I'll lock your old thread.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
TassadarZeratul

Actually, I got a laptop, which runs Windows 7, for Christmas; it is capable of running SC2, so I can use that instead of Brood War, so I can make it for Brood War SC2 and have a working AI, so never mind.

EDIT: Typo!
Last edited by TassadarZeratul on Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

wut?
TassadarZeratul

Ah, my dear son, you have asked a noble question indeed. To find the answer, you must climb the tallest mountain in the world, find the mystic guru who lives at the top, and beat the snot out of him until he tells you, because he's a jerk like that.

...Serious answer: I thought I was going to have to change to a different concept, because there wasn't a way to make an AI for the one I had in mind, but then I got a computer that can run SC2. Therefore, I won't have to change concepts like I thought I was going to and had previously said I was going to do.
Taeradun
Protoss Khalai Missionary

Post by Taeradun »

So... you're sticking with your Iconoclast plan, but changing it to be in SC2 instead? I thought that's what you meant, but it was a bit confusing where you said "so I can use that instead of Brood War, so I can make it for Brood War" even though I could tell at the time it was probably a typo and the second "Brood War" was meant to be "SC2". I guess instead of starting a new thread you'd better just update your existing one and have Lavvz re-approve it.

Nice to see someone else making something for SC2; unless there are any more last-minute entries it's a bit disappointing there's only 1 other SC2 entry (and 1 Wc3 entry) with the rest of us silly people sticking with Brood War - although in my case I chose Brood War because I spent so many years modding it but never actually released anything of my own. So for my campaign I'm going to mod the crap out of it (it's gonna own >:D)

edit: holy crap another SC2 campaign :D
TassadarZeratul

Heh, yah, that was a typo. Thanks!

It's nice to see people using Brood War, incidentally. I would be if I could somehow get an AI to work for it... ;0
Taeradun

Post by Taeradun »

Yeah, I know what you mean, especially when you're making major changes to the gameplay. One idea I came up with while brainstorming (that didn't end up getting included in my campaign plan :() was for a vacuum or toxic gas environment, where all units had an energy count that recharged when in range of a supply depot or slowly drained otherwise, and if it hit zero the unit died of suffocation. Since that mechanic itself would've required a GPTP plugin, I figured out an addition to make AI units move back to a depot when low on oxygen so the AI didn't have to cheat, but it probably would've been a bit disruptive if run alongside a conventional AI script (this was all theorycrafting, I didn't actually develop the plugin at all).
TassadarZeratul

Actually, that would work fine. You'd have to spam the order, but, when done via plugin, that's not a problem.
Evilhog

Post by Evilhog »

Uh... Guys, am I a little bit late? I've just posted a topic with my entry for the contest. So, is that OK to apply for participation on the day of entry cut off?..
Anyway, I'm going to accomplish my campaign even if I won't take part in the contest :) .
Pr0nogo
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy

Post by Pr0nogo »

Evilhog wrote:Uh... Guys, am I a little bit late? I've just posted a topic with my entry for the contest. So, is that OK to apply for participation on the day of entry cut off?..
Anyway, I'm going to accomplish my campaign even if I won't take part in the contest :) .
I'm pretty sure that that was a given from the start. Besides, four contestants have just signed up and it's not even four in the morning. I'm sure that Lavarinth will accept these ones, even if he hadn't planned on it.
TassadarZeratul

Uh, question: If I'm entering with my own project, but also helping someone else out with their entry, is that a problem? (...It was a rather sudden decision on both our parts.)
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

No, it's not.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

Wow, this place could be more alive.
Falchion
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist
Location: Bragança Paulista, Brazil (Da most borin' place in the world)

Post by Falchion »

Legion wrote:Wow, this place could be more alive.
Hardly likely that'll happen. People fail to make it up to the deadlines and demands. I know this 'cause I did it with Memories of a Queen and Trial by Fire.
How I became a troll in a single post (And you can too!!! :D ): link