Contest Ends: July 31st, 2012

Moderator: Milldawg

Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

(Brood War) Ghosts of the Past

Post by Legion »

Name: Legion
Direction: I want to create a campaign for SCBW that tells the story of a distant Terran world ruled by a dark regime. The player assumes the role of a resistance fighter known as Andrew Lake.

The campaign will feature different mission types and plot tricks that will have the player switch sides at times and even go back and forth in time. I aim to give this a deep storyline, which is more important to me than hours and hours of gameplay.

Ghosts of the Past will feature an original soundtrack, original sound and ambience and maybe some graphical alterations.

Ghosts of the Past

The remote Terran fringe world of Novac is home to a totalitarian regime. The citizens of Novac have been trying to overthrow their government for decades.

You are Andrew Lake, self-proclaimed freedom fighter from a long line of self-proclaimed freedom fighters who are all buried in the Novac wastelands.

Fight the good fight. Switch sides. Deceive, inveigle and obfuscate.

The Ghosts of the Past are come!
Last edited by Legion on Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Church
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager

Re: (Brood War) Ghosts of the Past

Post by Church »

Impressive, I look forward to it. I can do beta testing, if need be ;)

I'd love to hear any of the soundtrack that's done. By the way - what music program are you using? I might like to check it out. :D
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

Jim_Raynor wrote:Impressive, I look forward to it. I can do beta testing, if need be ;)

I'd love to hear any of the soundtrack that's done. By the way - what music program are you using? I might like to check it out. :D
Good beta testers are hard to find. Thanks for the offer!

What I use to compile the tracks is Garageband. I then run it through Audition for final touches and last-minute editing. There's lots of better applications out there, I imagine. Whatever suits you best.

ps.
I am aware of the fact that Lavarinth hasn't approved of my submission, I just figured I'd answer Jim_Raynor's question since it's one of a general nature and I like exchanging ideas and stuff. :)
Campaign Creations
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Campaign Creations »

Approved, and thanks for your submission.
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

Minor update- An excerpt of the soundtrack for my campaign.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

I like it. It's simple, but ambient, and is reminiscent of the original Terran music but remains true to its own path.
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

IskatuMesk wrote:I like it. It's simple, but ambient, and is reminiscent of the original Terran music but remains true to its own path.
As my campaign is primarily centered on the Terrans, I decided to go for that slow beat and "space western" kind of sound which I liked so much in SC1.

Keeping it simple is perhaps the most important thing here. There are a lot of campaigns out there that use custom or borrowed music which is way too distracting when you're playing the game.

Good that you like it, IskatuMesk. You're rightfully very picky about these things.
Linaze
Terran Barracks Laundry Master

Post by Linaze »

A lovely piece of simple music. If your music is representative for your campaign's general quality, then I won't score first place, so to say. :p
Taeradun
Protoss Khalai Missionary
Protoss Khalai Missionary

Post by Taeradun »

cool music

(obligatory "you should host your music on soundcloud so I can stream it rather than waiting 5 whole seconds for it to download first" post)
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

Taeradun wrote:cool music

(obligatory "you should host your music on soundcloud so I can stream it rather than waiting 5 whole seconds for it to download first" post)
I'll look into it for when I want to show you guys my next track. :)
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

Tracks 1 and 2 of my campaign's soundtrack are now available on SoundCloud (Thanks to Taer for the heads-up).

http://soundcloud.com/latestuser

The other two Terran tracks and the briefing track will also be there soon.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Soundcloud doesn't seem to work for me despite white listing it so I'll have to rip the files with jdownloader now. Luckily for me that's like a two-click process.

This track has kind of a funk style to it I see, a bit hard for me to put into words as I am not too familiar with this genre. It strays further from the more traditional terran instrumentation that I am familiar with. At first I am skeptical how well it will fit in the context but somehow it seems the track would fit most in a cityscape sort of environment with a more casual/luxury undertone to it.
HelpMe
Terran Dropship Flight Attendant
Terran Dropship Flight Attendant

Post by HelpMe »

I like the tracks, that's some professional work there. The beginning of track2 sounds terribly familiar, but I can't for the life of me tell why that is. Like I've heard something similar before. Argh I can't remember.

Oh wait. I know what you're doing. You're drawing from the collective subconscious of music. That's why it sounds so familiar. Ha, gotcha. Damn I'm smart.
Linaze

Post by Linaze »

Love the latest track as well. I too remember it's intro from somewhere else...
Anyway, how many tracks are you planning to produce for your campaign?
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

Thanks, guys, for all the feedback!

The thing is, I work with samples a lot. The sample I used for the intro in track 2 is one I've used before- in a soundtrack I made for an unreleased campaign... This is also the reason why you'll find certain "thematic" loops/samples returning throughout this soundtrack. Tracks 1 and 2 share a slow guitar riff that I thought suited both songs without it becoming annoying (hopefully). I feel that when you're playing the game and you hear some of the same pieces of music return in a different musical environment, it'll contribute to what I'm trying to achieve. Music in this sense is supposed to be decorative and shouldn't distract like a movie soundtrack or an actual song would.

I guess what I'm trying to make clear is that hopefully the music will sound like one long track. :)

As for the number of tracks- I'm doing 5 tracks. 4 in-game tracks and a briefing part.

Edit.

Track 3 is available.