Re: Warlords and Merchants Discussion

Post by IskatuMesk »

or siege cruisers.
Krazy
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper

Post by Krazy »

Flyinging zerglings to counter siege cruisers.

make it happen people
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Just making flying butter and be done with it.
Mucky
Protoss Khalai Missionary
Protoss Khalai Missionary

Post by Mucky »

Flying butter used to be in the game, but then it got removed.
mark_009_vn
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Post by mark_009_vn »

I wanna XB-42! :P

"I'm begging you, let me work!" - Osamu Tezuka
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

So much rage surrounds W&M. At least one person becomes enraged every time we play it. I just have that kind of personality, I suppose.
Krazy

Post by Krazy »

Maybe it has to do with constantly stating the positions and strengths of other player's positions during a ffa?

There was a lengthy discussion about merchants/observers doing this sort of thing, and although I know it's a "strategy" for players who are still warlords, regular updates every 20 minutes is a bit excessive.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Yes, but you see, I was not an observer nor a merchant. I also was doing nothing but making ghosts the entire game until the very end, talking to one guy who turtled and occassionally drive-byed me with battlecruisers full of reavers, and another guy who occassionally emptied my only mining base with hellions.

I suppose there's a sort of a gray area there, as according to the sc2gg guys their FFA's regularly consist of people outright allying and backstabbing each other over and over. Obviously, merchants and observers abusing things is a little retarded, but where does the line get drawn for warlords? Thai loli consistently reports positions and warns people about getting attacked and he never plays warlord, yet mucky/myself seem to be the only people who really notice.

If it bothers you that much then sure, I won't do it anymore. But people are honeypicking this shit and if we want to set a line somewhere we have to do it forcibly.
Krazy

Post by Krazy »

51 minutes of that replay - EVWeb sees your gold expansion in center, running through it with SCVs.

52 minutes - EVWeb builds photon cannons to defend YOUR expansion

54 minutes - EVWeb attacks one of my expansions.

I actually had thought you were joking in vent, but that EVWeb really did actively defend you that game.

But I guess you want to set the standard for our games to be standard blizzard pub-match standards, so sure.

I know I can't really talk since me and Ricky will from time to time more or less gang up on Mucky when the situation requires it, but I guess the difference I was feeling was more that I won't attack someone because Ricky asked me to, whereas EV did, in turn with actively defending you.

I don't know what hard and fast rules to set up, my general rule is to just not do things that are sufficiently bullshit to make people not want to come back the next week.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

To be honest I stopped really giving a shit about playing this map seriously a very long time ago. I very, very rarely put in my all and treat the game seriously anymore and I doubt anyone else does the same. I willing ignore people and go after ricky if I get the chance, I try to ignore mucky unless I see he's vulnerable, ect. Meanwhile, I get teamed every second game I play because somehow despite playing like an idiot I still somehow manage to pull victories out of this map. Until mucky started playing again almost every game was 2v1 or 3v1 against me. The first thing Laconius' friends do when they play the game? Team on me. Yes, it's irritating and yes, you get mishappy.

This was literally the only game I think I managed to convince someone to defend me, which felt kind of cheesy I suppose, but I figured hey what the hell, let's see what I can get people to do. The rage I got in turn felt rewarding enough. At any point I expected to die if you had figured out a more intelligent search pattern instead of throwing bulks of units in a single direction and not sweeping, but by the time you started figuring out what was going on your single-minded crusade had apparently worn you thin enough to just ragequit.

/e Ah wait, there was that game with ridiculously broken AC's. I don't think that involved as much defending as it did parasitical maneuvering, but there's been a few games like that if I recall. I think regulating that kind of behavior would be difficult.
Krazy

Post by Krazy »

Yeah, sorry, it's my bad, I should have started calling out all remaining positions you could be on vent to make sure that Q would finish you off instead of doing something silly like accidentally attacking EVWeb. I'll be sure to work on my teaming abilities meta play.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

That would have been your best bet. You might have torn Q between moral decisions and caused him to kill himself.
Xenon
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee

Post by Xenon »

Nah, I didn't want to finish Mesk off. Most of the times I destroyed his bases they just happened to be in the path of my units. I was looking for whoever seemed to have the most stuff, and mass cannons are too annoying to leave alone.

I tend to run out of resources at the end because building bases and setting workers to gather becomes too tedious for me to bother with, especially considering how fast the late-game units can level them.
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Personally, I tend to go more with that for myself :

- For Warlords, they can do whatever they want including calling positions of other warlords', trying to get other Warlords to attack other Warlords, etc. Just remember it's a FFA so no real alliances.

Perphas the only thing that would be damn lame is when there are ultra-obvious mid/long-term alliances since it's supposed to be some kind of FFA. For example, HKS being 100% circled by Mesk and Mesk not doing a thing to HKS or even protecting him OR both "allied" Warlords sync'ing their attacks a bit too well on purpose vs another Warlord.

- For merchants, don't call out any positions and avoid saying things (especially really game changing cases) that will affect the game beyond trying to sell your wares.

I won't claim to be an angel but I believe I am reasonably okay at it. At times, I might slip by accident in favor of one Warlord then reslip on purpose in favor of the other one to try to equalize the "bullshit" and so on.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

lol ricky, we all know you 100% ignore everyone else and focus on me if you're warlord :3