Mucky
Protoss Khalai Missionary
Protoss Khalai Missionary

Re: What... the FUCK... IS THIS???

Post by Mucky »

Falchion
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist
Location: Bragança Paulista, Brazil (Da most borin' place in the world)

Post by Falchion »

Y'know, if Starcraft was an RPG, I'd have the perfect name for it.

The Protoss Wang Ring.

Despite being painfully installed, yet delivering absurd amounts of manliness power, this artifact of titans may only be used by Bluzzlard's most cocky.
How I became a troll in a single post (And you can too!!! :D ): link

Thalraxal
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Post by Thalraxal »

That is totally a Corsair.
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

They better put the Corsair back in, it's not like you can do anything else with their sound files in the Galaxy Editor.
-- Razorclaw X
Creator of Wanderers of Sorceria and Vision of the Future
Hercanic

Post by Hercanic »

For the Zerg unit, it's be cool if it was an artillery unit that could launch other small ground units, like Banelings for some boom and Zerglings for some lolz. Would require ragdolls. It'd be the new Consume, with an element of the deceased Reaver.
Thalraxal

Post by Thalraxal »

RazorclawX wrote:They better put the Corsair back in, it's not like you can do anything else with their sound files in the Galaxy Editor.
Blizzard did promise to make all the old SC1 units avaliable in Galaxy Edit. Sadly, promising and doing turned out to be two totally different things.
Pr0nogo
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy

Post by Pr0nogo »

As if adding insult to injury, Blizzard has removed several units present in WoL (like CARRIERS) in HotS, because "we don't want to waste disk space."

Correct me if I'm wrong, guys, but... EXPANSION packs don't usually REMOVE stuff, right? They normally EXPAND what's in the base product.
Thalraxal

Post by Thalraxal »

Pr0nogo wrote:As if adding insult to injury, Blizzard has removed several units present in WoL (like CARRIERS) in HotS, because "we don't want to waste disk space."

Correct me if I'm wrong, guys, but... EXPANSION packs don't usually REMOVE stuff, right? They normally EXPAND what's in the base product.
To save disk space? Is this serious? How is that possibly an issue in this day and age?

If done right, removing units would be beneficial to the game. One of the biggest problems Blizzard had in beta is that they outright refused to drop a unit under any circumstances, even if they had to completely redesign it from the ground up to the point where it no longer even remotely resembled its original intention.
Pr0nogo

Post by Pr0nogo »

They dropped the Tempest, though. That should have been in.

If they removed the proper units from campaign/melee, but KEPT THEM IN THE DAMNED EDITOR, nobody would really throw a fit. The fact is, however, that the units they're removing will not be present in the editor, nor the campaign, nor melee.
Alevice
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Post by Alevice »

Source for that?

Lats I recall, they are just removing them from standard melee. And it is not like they will delete files from the wol data files.
Pr0nogo

Post by Pr0nogo »

My friend paid for the livestream of Blizzcon and he's shooting me data every now and then. I consider him a reliable source since he's paid for the past like three Blizzcon livestreams, but you guys can wait until it's posted on YouTube (I'm sure some nerd somewhere recorded it all).

edit: link courtesy of Jim_Raynor
http://www.youtube.com/user/Starfish5202
Thalraxal

Post by Thalraxal »

Pr0nogo wrote:They dropped the Tempest, though. That should have been in.

If they removed the proper units from campaign/melee, but KEPT THEM IN THE DAMNED EDITOR, nobody would really throw a fit. The fact is, however, that the units they're removing will not be present in the editor, nor the campaign, nor melee.
The original Tempest was dropped well before beta because of the backlash that it wasn't the classic Protoss Carrier. It certainly could have stayed in (that improved ground shield thing was kinda neat), but Blizzard probably felt that having two carrier units would be redundant.

Removing them from the editor doesn't even make sense, considering how many maps it would break, and probably Wings of Liberty. We already have the data, so they might as well let us keep it.
Pr0nogo

Post by Pr0nogo »

Well the whole deal is that Wings of Liberty's multiplayer will probably be defunct once HotS debuts, and to play that campaign you'll need to launch WoL instead of HotS. How you'll do that, I'm not sure. Maybe they'll make us install SCII three times, just like we need to buy it three times. :D
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Pr0nogo wrote:Well the whole deal is that Wings of Liberty's multiplayer will probably be defunct once HotS debuts, and to play that campaign you'll need to launch WoL instead of HotS. How you'll do that, I'm not sure. Maybe they'll make us install SCII three times, just like we need to buy it three times. :D
Technically, they split the data into different "mod" files. Two for the WoL multiplayer melee and two for the WoL Campaign data.

Personally, I mostly expect HotS to have two new melee "mods" files for HotS multiplayer and two new campaign "mods" for HotS.

Then the simplest thing is if you want to play WoL, the exe will restrict you to your WoL "mods" while in HotS, the melee only use HotS ones while allowing HotS custom maps to use all 8 "mods" (2 WoS melee + 2 WoS Campaign + 2 HotS melee + 2 HotS Campaign).
Pr0nogo

Post by Pr0nogo »

That's a terrible and convulsively convoluted system. And it's probably what's gonna happen.