[Voice Acting] Looking to improve.

Pr0nogo
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy

Re: [Voice Acting] Looking to improve.

Post by Pr0nogo »

Well thanks, Lav. I took what y'all said to heart here.

P.S. cast with me and nag Gemini to come onboard too because mesk is busy tonight and tonight's the only night I have off D:
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

I'm at work, brah. Haha.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Pr0nogo

Post by Pr0nogo »

All night long? ;-;
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

As an example of how long it can take me to do a voice, the Fear is something I've been working on since Black Sun began and The Great Destroyer took from early 2009 to late 2010 to reach the 2.1 recording which is, imo, one of the best recordings I have ever done.

TGD's 2.1 recording will never be used for anything, either.

Almost every time I attempt the Fear's recordings I literally read every part of TOA that involves the Fear which is over 100 pages atm.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Pr0nogo wrote:All night long? ;-;
We discussed this- I have a birthday party to attend, haha.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Too bad. If he didn't go offline I was going to record right now. Oh well. I guess I'll have to find someone else...

... I wonder what happens when I get both killer11 and ricky into vent. Hmmm. It would be the most amazingly confusing podcast ever.
Pr0nogo

Post by Pr0nogo »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32Qv1CWbAgc[/youtube]

These are old and do not have the shortened reverb on them. However, I still believe that they are of good quality.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

lolcpuoverheating

The third take is much, much better. I actually managed to understand almost all of it. When I get some free time I'll take a look at the unedited samples.
Pr0nogo

Post by Pr0nogo »

Here's my fourth attempt. I didn't really have much to go off of like the others so instead of changing it all I just changed the non-Dark Templar voices (including Templar Aldrin at the beginning of the Dark Templar segment).

Tomorrow I'll probably do a complete revoicing of this, as well as trying my hand at some in-game portions and maybe the second mission's briefing.

Something I noticed is that I have an almost-typical European deep voice. The fact that I have to overcome that vocal stereotype is something I'll have to keep in mind when I'm doing voices in the future. I was somewhat distracted this time around, unfortunately, so Scifar and Monoceros (the Carrier) sound somewhat similar.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5sTPJTtyBg[/youtube]
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

Hey,

Your Protoss voices are good. However, voices are a bitch to imitate spot on and yours aren't like Laconius' at all. Whenever the briefing starts, listeners expect the "original" voices to be there but instead they get an imitation.

As for the effects, Laconius' Protoss use heavy reverbs. Yours not as much.

I'd say invest in your own characters and their voices. We don't need you to sound like Laconius. :)
Pr0nogo

Post by Pr0nogo »

I'm not trying to imitate him at all, lol. I'm trying to make my own that sound just as good, if not better. I'm just using his briefing as the basis because I don't have any other long briefings that would work as an extensive example of my voice acting talents.
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

Pr0nogo wrote:I'm not trying to imitate him at all, lol. I'm trying to make my own that sound just as good, if not better. I'm just using his briefing as the basis because I don't have any other long briefings that would work as an extensive example of my voice acting talents.
I wasn't trying to make fun. Everybody's sound is different and it's really hard to imitate a person's voice and effects together. I've always had a "less is more" approach to voice editing. When listening to Lac's Protoss voices, I hear he doesn't use a lot of a effects. He's blessed with a cool guy voice. His effects are all there in Audition, no added magic or anything, but his sound can't be imitated. And it shouldn't be.

AuspexTurmalis' voices were and still are the best around. Even better than Blizzard's original Protoss voices, which sounds strange, I know, but is very true. His voices were more polished than Laconius'. No clipping, no swallowed syllables and no background static. But Laconius is the best I've heard since AuspexTurmalis. And they're both completely different.

So if you're going for that unique sound, stray from what others have done. You have a great sound. Your Cerebrate Torzul is a voice that I'd like to be able to produce - it's haunting and neurotic yet powerful and decisive. Personally, I don't like your Protoss voices all that much.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

I could probably do good protoss voices if I really wanted to. Other than Imrian, though, I've actually never tried.
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

I know you could, Imrian was very good. More Starcraft 2-ish, though. I create Protoss voices as a hobby, my disk is filled with samples of my experiments, but I wouldn't call any of them a real success.

However, I do think you never value your own work as much as others might. It's like everything you make, you KNOW how it was made and that ruins it.
Pr0nogo

Post by Pr0nogo »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Stfoqk9c-yM[/youtube]

From my StarCraft: Rivalry project. I re-did everyone's voice with my new microphone.

Voices (in order of appearance):
Cerebrate Torzul
Hybrid Mel'krieg
Dark Templar Del'rathien
Hybrid Mel'krieg (again)
Infested Scout