Podcast: The First Map

Comment on our website's front-page headlines.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Podcast: The First Map

Post by Lavarinth »

With the never ending conversation between Lavarinth and IskatuMesk relating to creating projects, they begin to delve into the creation of your first map, among a multitude of other projects. Having dealt with the creation of a various recent projects, Pr0nogo was invited to join in on the discussion to get input from the community.

Head on over to our Podcast section to check out our previous podcasts as well, or click here to get listening!
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Pr0nogo
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy

Re: Podcast: The First Map

Post by Pr0nogo »

Sorry about any background noise; my mother and her boyfriend payed me a surprise visit.
Hercanic
Protoss Stargate Concierge
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Post by Hercanic »

Sweet! Listening now...

My response to the first 5 minutes, about whether to advertise your project during production or keep it secret until near completion: Personally, I've found the anticipation of releasing something cool, but keeping a low profile until ready, has kept me excited and motivated.

In the indie game industry, we're seeing a buy-during-alpha/beta system becoming popular, where you can watch and play the game throughout its development, with examples such as MineCraft, Project Zomboid, Overgrowth, and others.

Lav, I have a solution in mind for your panther issue.

When developing a campaign, I'd recommend starting with your middle missions. Your first work tends to be the weakest, as you will learn more and improve your skills during development. You save your accrued knowledge for the beginning and ending missions, which naturally leave the greatest impact on your audience.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

I think the concept of selling betas is retarded and blizzard should stop this trend here and now.

Indie companies just call their alphas gold in the first place so it's not like it's anything new, there.