Podcast: Starting Projects

Comment on our website's front-page headlines.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Podcast: Starting Projects

Post by Lavarinth »

Ever wondered what it takes to start a project? Better yet- Why they fail? IskatuMesk and Lavarinth delve into their personal experiences and share suggestions that could aid in those looking to start a project such as a campaign or mod.

Head on over to our Podcast section to check out our previous podcasts as well, or click here to get listening!
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: Podcast: Starting Projects

Post by IskatuMesk »

I AM NOT TIRED THIS TIME I PROMISE
bajadulce
Terran Dropship Flight Attendant
Terran Dropship Flight Attendant

Post by bajadulce »

good cast. lots of good points. One man show ftw was what I got out of it. ... damn and I was just about to ask for some help with a small mapping project; tho I was looking for a producer/director to help give directions and guide me with ideas, whereas I would be the drone/worker bringing the ideas to life. Oh well.

Q: So in the cast you say to NOT treat projects as a hobby, nor as a JOB. what's left then if it ain't work or play?
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

baja, it's definitely not an issue to ask for help or direction, but to request someone to completely overtake a task in your project is overkill, it's your dream- and unless you're willing to pay someone to do it, do it yourself. But naturally, welcome the opinions and suggestions of those around you, and accept the aid of those passionate towards your dream if you so find it fitting. Example- Your works are an amazement to me, I'd happily toss in some aid where I can, but you as the literal producer/creator of the project should not place yourself in a position to require my work in the event I die or opt out.

I'll let Isk answer your question.
- - Lavarinth
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

bajadulce wrote:good cast. lots of good points. One man show ftw was what I got out of it. ... damn and I was just about to ask for some help with a small mapping project; tho I was looking for a producer/director to help give directions and guide me with ideas
We left on bad footing a while ago, sir. But I am still going to answer this for you as best I can.

I forgot to cover the concept of outsourcing in the cast. I didn't write it down in my notes so I forgot like an idiot. I work entirely on outsourcing now. Basically, I don't bring people into a "team", I ask them if they'll be available to perform a service and then when the time comes ask them to perform that service (for example, you and the Duriel graphic, you weren't really conscripted into AO were you?).

Because you are already upholding the majority of the project and already have a very strong foundation to start with, it's much more reasonable for you to look around for someone to bounce ideas off of. I think you are experienced enough to not throw yourself balls-deep into some nature of a pitfall.
Q: So in the cast you say to NOT treat projects as a hobby, nor as a JOB. what's left then if it ain't work or play?
I like to think of modding as an expression of thought. You're in it for the fun, but you are treating it in a manner that allows you to devote energy and time to it without feeling guilty of not meeting deadlines. Never set a schedule for yourself, never set a deadline for yourself, but be prepared to invest significant energy into seeing your dreams come to life.
DrumsofWar
Protoss Infested Terran (Unemployed)
Protoss Infested Terran (Unemployed)

Post by DrumsofWar »

So modding should be treated as an art?
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Yes.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

DrumsofWar wrote:So modding should be treated as an art?
Would you have an alternative, DoW?
- - Lavarinth
GnaReffotsirk
Zerg Larva Herder
Zerg Larva Herder

Post by GnaReffotsirk »

Nice. Actually, this podcast is priceless.

I'm guessing new guys will not get this, as in comprehend and intuitively see what it all means. Except for the new guys that have some experience on other non-game projects.

I thought this is like handling kids! They could get too excited, too full of life, and then do and want everything now, then to your amazement they're in the back seat fast asleep just 200 meters from the house.

What Lavzz said about losing interest is something else I think, but yeah, the cast touched about preparing to plunge into a project and deciding whether or not a project is worth doing without having spend much just to find figure it out. At least for me, this was very much appreciated.

It seemed to me like it was an advice how to be efficient and have self-control and not get too impulsive.

:)

After listening to the cast, I thought this isn't for beginners but for the intermediate ones. Ones with some experience like myself. Some. Like one or two.

Can I make a request for a topic for the next podcast? About feedback, the community, the developer, and how to avoid evil hammers and be able to digest good hammers. Something like that.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

By all means, the cast is intended to include any and all feedback from everyone. The response by the community in regards to one's projects is definitely a good topic to cover.
- - Lavarinth
GnaReffotsirk
Zerg Larva Herder
Zerg Larva Herder

Post by GnaReffotsirk »

Yay! Looking forward to it! :)
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Dealing with feedback - yes I got a few topics in regards to that I didn't have time to cover there. Lav suggested one topic that can kind of mesh into that, so I'll add it to my list for the next cast.