Next Patch to Add Chat Channels.

Falchion
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist
Location: Bragança Paulista, Brazil (Da most borin' place in the world)

Next Patch to Add Chat Channels.

Post by Falchion »

This is official, source is from SC Legacy:
On the European Battle.net forums, Zhydaris, a Blizzard Community Manager, talked a little bit about the next patch that is due before the end of the year and is set to incorporate chat channels. StarCraft: Legacy has translated the information:

I agree, but... the answer is quite simple and I state this because of past experiences... Blizzard is, without question the most stuborn company at the moment of anouncing something beforehand and the reasons are only two, In my own opinion... First: The information behind their work changes continiously and so does the news they would be about to give out.

Zhydaris: The point is that this applies to everything, from balance to chat features.

Before we even make a change to x or y feature, we evaluate every possibility. This takes time, and we would like to remain silent untill we reach our final decision.

This is done to keep information objective and real, everytime it is possible to do so obviously.

In this particular case, the development of the Patch has been possitive and we would like to estimate towards a release at the end of the month. The Patch, if everything happens according to what we expected, will contain the chat feature, some minor balance adjustments, and a new characteristic we haven't anounced yet; and I expect that you are quite satisfied by the patch, as it has been quite demanded by the Italian Forums. Currently, the clan feature is still under development and we don't have any details to share, but I would like you all to see the great importance of it and that, just like the chat feature, we would like to deliver a feature beyond the expectations.

Finally I'll state that, from what I have seen untill now, in your questions here and in other threads, the chat system will not let you down.

This is it for now, so be patient, you all know that I'm always happy to share with you all the information in my power, but only when there is no risk to create unrealistic expectations or when said information is only 100% real or close to it.

What could the mysterious "new characteristic" in this patch possibly be? It will be interesting to see, and it is also good to know that the clan feature is now in development.

My reaction:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

*takes some time to breath*

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...
How I became a troll in a single post (And you can too!!! :D ): link

Xenon
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee

Re: Next Patch to Add Chat Channels.

Post by Xenon »

Which year is "the" year? I remember a similar promise for a War3 patch...
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

To be honest, I feel that a patch related either to "fix" the popularity system (many more map categories, being able to "favorite" maps to join lesser known maps, etc.) ... OR ... to change the popularity system back to a SC1/War3-like system (recently hosted games are shown first but probably only shown 1 max per map) would be MUCH more critical to do right now.

That's especially since I recall that their first version of their SC2 chat system would be dumbed down anyway. In other words, a limited number of static public chat channels and that's it (as in being unable to create your own private channel name).
Dtox
Terran SCV Lube Technician

Post by Dtox »

i REAAALY hope blizz will start incorporating maps from professional map makers into the ladder leagues......

thats what kept a good portion of SC1 alive for so long, so many unique and expertly made maps.
herpin mah derp like yeah
Xenon

Post by Xenon »

Patch notes released.

Of course it completely ignores the popularity system and the forced-publishing system. Sigh.
Fungal Growth no longer affects air units.
Whaaaaaaaaat.

Edit: They made the popularity based on minutes played. Now people can boost by leaving the game idle (or barring that, using a bot to spam meaningless orders). Smooth.
DrumsofWar
Protoss Infested Terran (Unemployed)
Protoss Infested Terran (Unemployed)

Post by DrumsofWar »

Honestly, this is a pretty good patch.

The chat channels aren't conducive to clan creation yet but it's a nice start, and the other tweaks to the UI, replays, and ladder add depth to the game.

Protoss get some beef in their air power, especially Void Rays contending with Thors and buildings. Don't get the fungal growth thing but there's a WHOLE ton of additions to the editor.
Xenon

Post by Xenon »

Apparently the public test realm won't include the updated editor. Or user-made maps. At all. Maybe the chat channels can be used to set up MapCraft games, however.

There is some nice stuff in there, and chat channels are a good start, but they didn't do anything significant about the deal-breakers.
Hercanic
Protoss Stargate Concierge
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Post by Hercanic »

On the European Battle.net forums, Zhydaris, a Blizzard Community Manager, talked a little bit about the next patch that is due before the end of the year and is set to incorporate chat channels. StarCraft: Legacy has translated the information:
Zhydaris: The point is that this applies to everything, from balance to chat features.

Before we even make a change to x or y feature, we evaluate every possibility. This takes time, and we would like to remain silent untill we reach our final decision.

This is done to keep information objective and real, everytime it is possible to do so obviously.

In this particular case, the development of the Patch has been possitive and we would like to estimate towards a release at the end of the month. The Patch, if everything happens according to what we expected, will contain the chat feature, some minor balance adjustments, and a new characteristic we haven't anounced yet; and I expect that you are quite satisfied by the patch, as it has been quite demanded by the Italian Forums. Currently, the clan feature is still under development and we don't have any details to share, but I would like you all to see the great importance of it and that, just like the chat feature, we would like to deliver a feature beyond the expectations.

Finally I'll state that, from what I have seen untill now, in your questions here and in other threads, the chat system will not let you down.

This is it for now, so be patient, you all know that I'm always happy to share with you all the information in my power, but only when there is no risk to create unrealistic expectations or when said information is only 100% real or close to it.

What could the mysterious "new characteristic" in this patch possibly be? It will be interesting to see, and it is also good to know that the clan feature is now in development.
"Translated" by SC Legacy? What exactly does that mean? Was it in another language, was it transcribed from voice recording, or did SC Legacy simply lift if from a forum post at Battle.net? If either of the first two, the person who wrote this needs to at least use spellcheck. "Until" has one L (untill), "positive" has one S (possitive), "every time" is two words (everytime), and "announced" has two N's in a row (anounced).

This may seem like an insignificant quibble, but the more people see incorrect spelling and usage, the more likely they are to duplicate it. For an official news post, I expect some quality control, at least at the level of a quick paste into MS Word.

If this came direct from the B.net forum, then my advice goes to the paid Blizzard employee. :P
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Xenon wrote:Edit: They made the popularity based on minutes played. Now people can boost by leaving the game idle (or barring that, using a bot to spam meaningless orders). Smooth.
I think a minute-basis might be the lesser evil in all honesty (unless we see that it still sucks way too much). At least maps with long games have a chance to climb up rather than just quick maps. At the very least, I can give credit for trying to quickly change any rather than just plain not do anything until (maybe) a big patch for major popularity system changes.

In addition, "botting" for popularity will be much less annoying. I rather let my computer open during the night for W&M than having to create/quit every 5 minutes over 8 hours (like a real job's day) and feel that my efforts were wasted even in the short run (after 2 days). The drawback might be that more people will be tempted to do it.
Dtox

Post by Dtox »

EET EEZ TRUE!!

chat channels in new patch!! (public test at least, start up SC2, download the update, then run it from your directory)

:D:D:D:D
herpin mah derp like yeah
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Dtox wrote:EET EEZ TRUE!!

chat channels in new patch!! (public test at least, start up SC2, download the update, then run it from your directory)

:D:D:D:D
It's a bit vague so ill go precise.

Basically, if you go download the latest "patch", you won't change number (1.1.3) but instead download the PTR (StarCraft II Public Test.exe) which will be added on your Starcraft II directory. After that, you can optionally run it and download the PTR patch (about 100 MB this time) then concretely play the PTR on their public test realm.

The only criteria is creating your real SC2 account before November 11 to be eligible.

Note that you can't upload custom maps on the PTR and such. It also doesn't include PTR editor changes.
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

So I just poked up real quickly and things I noticed or that I will comment on for the PTR :

1) It requires you to make a character. Oddly, I am still Honejasi.300 even on the PTR (same on the normal NA realm). Not sure if it "carries over" the character code from the NA realm or if it's just their "default" first number for my name.

2) There is now a small button next to the friends button, this is the channel button.

Channels are essentially like the group chats we are used to but with the difference that you can type in the channel name to join up. Yes, it means you can have private channels.

In addition, you can be in multiple channels at once rather than be restricted to one channel at any time.

Channel names have a name filter. For example, they refuse the name "shit" as a channel name. Annoying but with their censorship it was to be expected.

Obviously since I am alone, I can't have a clue of how many people can fit in a channel but if Blizzard have half of a brain, it should be more than the previous 12 of small "chats". If it can be 50+, it would be perfect.

Quite frankly, that's probably the best implantation possible on their part for channels. For the lesser known maps, it might be finally their first chance to have at least a small hub for each of them.

3) I had a minor "freezing" crash after an alt-tab due to the default "full screen" (instead of "windowed (full screen)") not liking my computer as usual (game settings from NA realm to test realms can be different). When I relogged, I was still back into the same three channels I opened instead of manually retype them to be back in.

4) The popularity system now does show "X hours played" or "X minutes played" instead of "X games played".

Like I said, I barely tested and just quickly poked around and out. Although it gives an idea of what's coming.
Xenon

Post by Xenon »

Fortunately there's an "invite to game" option if you're in a game lobby and you right-click on a player in a chat channel (as long as they aren't in a game already). Finally you can invite dudes without being required to friend them.

MapCraft apparently needs to be updated to work. Crud.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

MapCraft?
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Xenon

Post by Xenon »

This.

A utility to replace the map stored in the cache with a specified one, causing it to be loaded instead.

Unfortunately, when I tried replacing the cached map like this in the test realm, it just came up with a "cannot load map" error. This is a very bad sign.