Starcraft 2 Modding limitations

Dtox
Terran SCV Lube Technician
Terran SCV Lube Technician

Starcraft 2 Modding limitations

Post by Dtox »

Im curious (since i dont know much about modding), what is it about SC2 thats so limiting in terms of modding?
herpin mah derp like yeah
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: Starcraft 2 Modding limitations

Post by IskatuMesk »

Blizzard bans you if you attempt to mod the game. End of story.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Ignore Isk's pessimistic attitude, he's always like that.

To be more descriptive:

You can mod anything within a map for the time being. There's no limitations. However, modifying the MPQs, or attempting to launch an SEMPQ may get you suspended and/or banned.

EDIT: On top of that, there's nothing that needs to be done outside a map to accomplish whatever anyone wants done, honestly. Also, there's plans to release a mod loader which will allow you to customize the remaining portions of the game, such as the game menus and.. well, the game menus.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

I think it's unfortunate Lav's entire argument hinges on ignorance and he clings so closely to this ignorance despite being presented evidence to the contrary on numerous occasions.

You sadden me.

Watch this video. I explained the differences plain as day.

http://www.gameproc.com/SMesk_MapsareNO ... -muxed.mkv

Just because you have no interest in custom content doesn't give you the right to constantly slander the people that do.
Quirriff
Terran Barracks Laundry Master
Terran Barracks Laundry Master

Post by Quirriff »

While it is possible to have campaign modules for single player games. It's impossible to have multiplayer modded games of Starcraft 2 because of the size limits and that blizzard could ban you.

It's a danm pain in the neck by blizzard, I'm guessing they're going to introduce better custom game/mod support "At a later date" like they implemented region switching and name changing.
But like region switching and name changing I'm sure their will be a catch.
Falchion
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist
Location: Bragança Paulista, Brazil (Da most borin' place in the world)

Post by Falchion »

Quirriff wrote:While it is possible to have campaign modules for single player games. It's impossible to have multiplayer modded games of Starcraft 2 because of the size limits and that blizzard could ban you.

It's a danm pain in the neck by blizzard, I'm guessing they're going to introduce better custom game/mod support "At a later date" like they implemented region switching and name changing.
But like region switching and name changing I'm sure their will be a catch.

By later date, you mean NEVER, right?

Blizzard would never admit people modding their content and not paying for it. As far as I'm concerned, the Blizzard we knew would want freedom of that, yes, but the executive joint won't permit it, as long as modding's for free. Blizz is nothing but puppets of money, now.
How I became a troll in a single post (And you can too!!! :D ): link

IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

If you wanted to ignore every single logical mechanic and just call a map a mod, you're still screwed by the size limit and the censorship no matter what you look at.

Other limits include map size limits, creep limits (can only have 1 kind of creep), the rendering engine is very limited, material control is still non-existent (important when it comes to custom terrain bro believe me), the cliff limits, ect.

I mean after playing with the material editor in the UDK the simple lack of such controls in other games that have the gall to call themselves modern is just... awful. So in sc2 you're stuck with everything looking glossy unless you want to abandon normal maps altogether.

This is all stuff I covered in my AO2 blog I'm sure you've watched by now.