Production stills from Purity of Form

IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: Production stills from Purity of Form

Post by IskatuMesk »

You can largely remedy that with Foliage brushes. However, once the bare areas of the map receive the proper doodading they require their pathing and collision will significantly change and this will effect balancing. Thus, it's a good idea to do that before you start changing unit positions and stuff around when everything is going to change again once you start throwing rocks and such everywhere.
johnnythewolf
Terran Starport Baggage Handler

Post by johnnythewolf »

That's blue fog, not water.
mAc Chaos
Zerg Zergling Groomer
Zerg Zergling Groomer

Post by mAc Chaos »

I thought it was water too.
http://sanctuary-inc.net/
wibod
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper

Post by wibod »

also it doesn't make a whole lot of sense for a military base to have trees all around it's front entrance, that would just obscure visibility and shooting shit in face ability (top right corner)
johnnythewolf

Post by johnnythewolf »

The trees aren't located at its front entrance, but you're right. I could try to replace them by dead trees to give the impression that they've been burned down during the base's construction.
Alevice
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Post by Alevice »

They would be choppped,not burned/\.
johnnythewolf

Post by johnnythewolf »

This isn't WarCraft. What do you think Firebats are good for, other than burning Zerglings? :D
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

I suggest a different fog than blue, aside that, another good tactic is to close your map for a few days, then open it back it to get a fresh start on terraining again, or focus on a different part of your map such as triggers.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
johnnythewolf

Post by johnnythewolf »

We said we would do it, and we did it. Part one is done:

http://www.sc2mapster.com/maps/purity-form/

HOW TO PLAY

Save all maps to the folder C:\Program Files\StarCraft II\Maps\ leaving their file names unchanged. (You must use this specific folder or the next map won't load.)

Open the Maps folder and drag the file PURITY_01_Begin.SC2Map onto your SC2 launch icon.

Enjoy.
High_Zealot

Post by High_Zealot »

I found a small bug. On the first mission where you have to bring your cc to that point, the hercules transport had health and I saved and killed it. I don't think anything happened when I killed it but I did load the save fairly quickly.
johnnythewolf

Post by johnnythewolf »

Duly noted. Thanks for the feedback!
Falchion
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist
Location: Bragança Paulista, Brazil (Da most borin' place in the world)

Post by Falchion »

Well, I've played and seen the cutscenes, and I'd like to make some detailed critique:

GENERAL:
  • - Voice Acting isn't bad, but it's also somewhat shoddy. You could consult with some Voice Actors here, look for tips and all that.
    - Lack of subtitles. Must be because of that problem other mappers are facing, on the lip-sync matter, as, despite putting the sound, the character mouth doesn't move. Seems to me you tried a work-around, but still I feel it ain't enough...
    - There's a serious coding problem concerning connecting the maps to one another. All maps I put on the test mode didn't set up the next map right, it was just the "Unable to load map." error.

Onto the missions and cutscenes:

INTRO:
  • Good intro, nice one about the western theme and all that, but the main building (Which I assume it was a Bar.), surrounded by manmade cliffs, like a SC 1 building innard map (See Meta's Aeon of the Hawk to understand), somewhat disturbed that coolness feeling. I think you should've made a gigantic bar building doodad (Making a stand building doodad and then pressing Numpad + like never before.) and set the building's innards somewhere else than the city's streets, on a map corner no critic would care to explore. Perhaps this was done to save time and effort, but I'll indulge you.

MISSION 1:
  • - It was a good strategy of you to make players face Dominion with full tech while they only had Vikings and Ravens at their disposal. But you forgot about limiting vehicle tech, as the players could mass Thors and simply wreck everything through out the mission. For infantry, I'd recommend only the usual multiplayer (Just Marines, Medics, Marauders and Reapers, no Ghosts.).
    - Curious lore thing on putting Automated Refineries, but I think the Dominion shouldn't have them. This would show the Purity of Man's results in tempering with Protoss tech. Somewhat.
    - Gameplay showed up some decent massed assaults in some periods, but, after those, it was just one Marauder/one Raven runs. Some triggering could help fix the holes.

CUTSCENE 1:
  • - That was a good fix up of the intro Cutscene, about the bar thing. Apart from that, the map seems normal.

MISSION 2:
  • - On a personal note, through out all the WoL campaign I didn't saw a decent micro mission like the one you did. Good job on putting up upgrades and the ability to build Colossus, but you shouldn't let players build Observers. That would make the probe, which the player should protect, too left out, as, all the player would need to do is build an Observer, leave Klingsen and the probe somewhere else, and clear the way.
    - The only thing I found too hard on this mission were those five Carriers. Two should be enough to remind the player to watch their steps, but five, with the current forces the player has, is simply over the edge.

CUTSCENE 2:
  • Nothing to talk about. All normal.
How I became a troll in a single post (And you can too!!! :D ): link

johnnythewolf

Post by johnnythewolf »

Mission 2 is also a personal favorite of mine. Not only does it encourage you to make good use of Vikings (my favorite Terran unit so far) but it also reminds me of that one mission from BW where, as Artanis, you must break through the UED blockade.
Last edited by johnnythewolf on Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
High_Zealot

Post by High_Zealot »

Is there any chance the map doesn't load because it's meant for "Program Files" and not "Program Files (x86)" though that may not be in because when I loaded the intro, it loaded the next map fine but not the one after it.
johnnythewolf

Post by johnnythewolf »

I doubt it. Like I said, to ensure the next map is properly loaded, you MUST follow the instructions. It doesn't matter if all the maps are in the same directory, they must all be specifically located in the "maps" folder, or else it won't work.