Ret-Conning Greatly Weakens SC2 Story

IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: Ret-Conning Greatly Weakens SC2 Story

Post by IskatuMesk »

well apparently terran ships have shields now so fuck if I know what they can do
mAc Chaos
Zerg Zergling Groomer
Zerg Zergling Groomer

Post by mAc Chaos »

johnnythewolf wrote:
mAc Chaos wrote:Man am I glad I sat out on getting SC2. I can just tell a bad game when I see one. The only thing it had going for it was the hype and novelty of a new release after waiting so long. After WC3 Blizzard lost it's touch. Diablo II was their last great game, and the only possible good game they could make now is Diablo III if only because it's so much simpler. How could they fuck it up?

Just watch them, though.
Wait a minute, are you actually saying you even haven't TRIED SC2 and that you're just basing your opinion on other people's rants?
I've played enough games that I can tell if I'd like it from watching it in action.
http://sanctuary-inc.net/
johnnythewolf
Terran Starport Baggage Handler
Terran Starport Baggage Handler

Post by johnnythewolf »

I thought that too, yet that didn't prevent me from making bad choices, like sitting out Team Fortress 2 while buying Metal Gear Solid: Portable Fucking Ops (or its "multiplayer" counterpart, Portable Ops Plus). Videos don't really do justice to games; nothing beats actually trying them for real.

Shame I gave all my SC2 Guest Pasts; I could have sent one to you. :-\
Last edited by johnnythewolf on Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

I sat out team fortress and I don't regret it one bit.
Alevice
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Post by Alevice »

TF2 is awesome. Also mac, if you ever get a computer that runs sc2 and are still somehwta curious, I can give you as guets pass anyway.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Keep note, mAc's just pissy because his crappy video card can't run SC2.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Wait, macs have video cards? O.o
russianspy27
Terran Supply Depot Clerk

Post by russianspy27 »

Darn, I wish I was one of Blizzard's Execs...I'd spend the $ on a couple of good sci-fi writers (or heck, several good CC writers from here) and have them work their asses off on the game.

IskatuMesk, good point on how Black Isle was one of the last story-driven companies with value...though I still think Bioware tries and has potential, with all due cliches. At least they put effort into it, and with enough practice, may excel eventually.

I was thinking of getting Heavy Rain for PS3, but read that Cage messed up the ending again, like in Indigo Prophecy...
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

I think the problem is that Bioware tries too hard. Their trailers for Dragon Age were utterly terrible, and this is coming from someone who had such wild hopes and dreams for the title before they started talking more about it.

I've always heard that HoTU had a good story. NWN 1 had a decent story to it. Nothing amazing or fantastic, but it managed to avoid a lot of really bad overblown pitfalls. A pity that kind of logic seems lost these days.

Witcher 2 looks promising.
Falchion
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist
Location: Bragança Paulista, Brazil (Da most borin' place in the world)

Post by Falchion »

IskatuMesk wrote:I think the problem is that Bioware tries too hard.
Heh, almost like myself. Obviously someone ought to know it's a bitch finding a decent story without copying a style or anything. And I've gotta take the chances: I don't have the faintest idea of what others are doing.
How I became a troll in a single post (And you can too!!! :D ): link

russianspy27

Post by russianspy27 »

Grim Fandango is a very good game. The Longest Journey too...2nd one is OK, though not as good.

I feel like BioWare is all there is out there right now. I know Dragon Age copied many basic themes of LOTR-like fantasies, but I still felt involved in the lengthy and well designed game. The attention to details with lore scrolls lying thoughout the world and discussing history of every corner of the world, the decent dialogue, the adventure. It was not perfect by any means, but I felt entertained enough to look forward to DOA-2.

It's like living at a town with only chubby girls but there is one club that tries to only admit relatively skinny girls to its parties. You know the club may try too hard and the girls may not be models, but if it's the only club out there where one could get a decent hookup, so people like it anyway.
russianspy27

Post by russianspy27 »

Anyway, could you guys please read the OP of this thread - http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/374721415 - and post your thoughts on battle.net about it if you can? Thanks!
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Eh... I skimmed it and it's basically what everyone already knows but in a very wordy format I don't have the attention span to read.

What is there more to say? I've already said all I have to say here and there. Anything I post on battle.net is not really going to contribute. If they want my opinions they can watch the very short review video I'll be posting soon-ish.

I lol'd at the club analogy.
Chriso
Terran SCV Lube Technician
Terran SCV Lube Technician

Post by Chriso »

a
Last edited by Chriso on Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#steehlrain
Alevice
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Post by Alevice »

You could say the infestation pretty much infuses a devotion towards the swarm, regardless of wther the overmind is present or not. But I like to think that the infestation induces physical and psychological trauma not easily reverted by deinfestation.