Warlords and Merchants is now public!

Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Re: Warlords and Merchants is now public!

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Krazy wrote:Why would mesk posting new videos change anything? Just link or embed the videos relevant to you.

You could even create a playlist of w&m games from mesk and link to your playlist. That way you could keep them in order etc.
I guess part of it might be since he is an offensive commentator (personally I like it that way but not everyone) thus due to that it might be a touchy move to post direct links to his videos on the B.net forums. That's considering how Blizzard is with censoring and such in general.

Then again, Mesk did post one of his videos (the one about how much B.Net 2.0 truly sucks in his all swearing glory) on the b.net forums and he wasn't even banned (also not even a warning if I recall). Thus, I guess I could get away with that. To the worst, Ill probably just be forum banned (but not game banned which is the important thing anyway).

Also, thanks for remaining me that I can make a playlist on my own Youtube account for his W&M videos. That's a thing I completely forgot since I am not one to usually do such things.
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

And so ... I did create the W&M playlists based on Mesk's videos (while obviously saying it's his videos) :

W&M Game 1 (by Mesk) : http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 00C6F4DA32

W&M Game 2 (by Mesk) : http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 25733C217A

EDIT : Also posted on my B.net forum thread.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

If you want me to make a W&M video worthy of advertising you're going to want to send me a replay that is genuinely interesting. Unfortunately that means I'll probably have to play again judging by the feedback thus far. Sigh.
Alevice
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Post by Alevice »

Make certain you get coverage by sc2mapster if you want a somewhat decent popularity boost
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

IskatuMesk wrote:If you want me to make a W&M video worthy of advertising you're going to want to send me a replay that is genuinely interesting. Unfortunately that means I'll probably have to play again judging by the feedback thus far. Sigh.
While it would be nice, the problem is if we didn't have a very decent game of W&M over the multiple FFS games, what are the odds that the next W&M game over FFS would be THAT decent game? Even if we do, by the time you do properly cast it and upload, it might be already "too late" in a sense.

Plus anyway, those videos should be enough to give an idea ... if people actually see the thread which already kind of burrowed the next day after my post without any replies.

EDIT : I just noticed, this very CC W&M thread already do have 5x more views than the b.net W&M thread. So considering the amount of population on both sides, I guess it kind of tell you that trying to hold the b.net W&M thread is probably a big waste of time.
Alevice wrote:Make certain you get coverage by sc2mapster if you want a somewhat decent popularity boost
To be honest, I have no clue how to get such coverage from them. In addition, since I never had handlings with them in any sort, I really don't want to have to play "politics" in some form with them. Finally, I rather prefer that W&M would be solely on the CC flagship too.

Ultimately, I am not surprised with my situation. The popularity system just sucks that much. Heck, even the most popular maps (that are any real worth to be popular) can get really tossed (as in from very played to semi-played to barely-played) on the side as soon they are not page 1 or 2 for any stupid reason.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

People don't go to the B.net forum for anything other than to troll or vainly whine at a company that doesn't care. Eventually they burn out and drift away or become soulless half-trolls.
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

IskatuMesk wrote:People don't go to the B.net forum for anything other than to troll or vainly whine at a company that doesn't care. Eventually they burn out and drift away or become soulless half-trolls.
Yep, I forgot that and/or I was a bit too much hopeful for that aspect. So time to scratch keeping that SC2 W&M thread alive for good.
Alevice
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Post by Alevice »

You could just log into their chat channels and ivnite them to "playtest" your brand new map that you just relased and shit.
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Alevice wrote:You could just log into their chat channels and ivnite them to "playtest" your brand new map that you just relased and shit.
Could be interresting ... as soon I get my main computer back. Said technicians only seems to give evasive answers about to the status of my computer despite being there for a week. Their quality of service might end up being more shitty than I thought.

So in the meantime, how to access their chat channels?

EDIT : In other news, W&M still seems to maintain a 20 popularity or so despite barely boosting it lately. In other words, people that actually play it.
Alevice
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Post by Alevice »

Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

So as I just casually boosted W&M then there was a hard popularity reset for custom maps.

Thus as far W&M is concerned, it was the best possible time to attempt to mad solo boost it (rehost every 5-6 minutes over long hours). Thus, I did it tonight over a good 6-7 hours in a big attempt to actually make it jump in that damn popularity list and hopefully high enough so it stays high with pubbies games for a short while.

At this moment, it's now at page 1 of the Melee category and at page 3-4 of All categories with 73 of popularity. I expect it to be around 90 before I go to sleep.

If it end up failing (as in that the popularity massively drops 1-2 day later) then odds are there will be little that was actually possible (short of bots, pacts, etc.) as I would gave a real big shot in one of the best case scenarios. Even if it goes well, I expect it would mostly to make the map more known down the road but the next reset will wipe it out.

In other news, with the plans of having news about W&M, I updated the first post of this thread with most of the info I post on the W&M b.net thread.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

why would you spend 6-7 hours boosting a map? ffs just work on the map itself or something... who gives a fuck where it's at in some stupid list. Once people get stuck on a certain fad it's very hard to break them away (re: dota and tower defense).
Alevice
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Post by Alevice »

By dota and tower defense oyu probably mean battlecraft and storms of the imperial sanctum
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

yessir
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

IskatuMesk wrote:why would you spend 6-7 hours boosting a map? ffs just work on the map itself or something... who gives a fuck where it's at in some stupid list. Once people get stuck on a certain fad it's very hard to break them away (re: dota and tower defense).
1) W&M was still recently made public so I might as well want to try to make it any known and played. The laptop manage to be borderline okay to boost popularity.

2) I still don't have my main computer (only a laptop with 1 core at 1.6 ghz + onboard video) making it very difficult to use the editor AND SC2 at once to edit and test my map properly without big slowdowns, long loads and such.

3) While I expect negligible gains for that all time spent boosting, I guess I do need to test it at least once in a best case scenario to see the upcoming concrete results. After a failure then there will be no shadow of a doubt in my mind that boosting that much is plain useless. Even at best, it would be just short-lived "glory" that isn't worth all those hours (over and over).

As for the fads, I am forced to agree with you. :p