lol

DrumsofWar
Protoss Infested Terran (Unemployed)

lol

Post by DrumsofWar »

While Googling, I found this rant by some Total Annihalation fan from many many years back trying to rant why it's better than Starcraft 1. I found it so funny that I wanted to share.
Dem0nS1ayer
Terran Science Facility Guinea Pig
Terran Science Facility Guinea Pig

Re: lol

Post by Dem0nS1ayer »

Yeah I saw this so long ago. That guy has to be the most retarded gamer in the history of gaming nerds.

"total annihilation is better because they have super units that can shoot from half-way across the map!"
lol.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

That is the same argument Supreme Commander players use. I mean that. They really are a bunch of dumbasses.

Except for the odd guy in the group who has actually played starcraft. Then their stupid comments come from trying to pass off as "good" because they had like 100apm. durr hurr I can have 300apm! Look at me, I'm Boxer!
Xenon
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee

Post by Xenon »

Yeah, a lot of TA fans had irrational hate of Starcraft. I think that around 2000 TAUniverse had a news post that claimed that the death of the Starcraft mod "Aqueous Rift" was good news and that hating Starcraft was "keeping their affairs in order" or somesuch.
Krazy
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper

Post by Krazy »

I average like 30 apm and I'm still quadruple diamond. Not like I need to be higher for ffs anyway, since once the lag starts it's like we're playing 30 fpm.
Church
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager

Post by Church »

"In Total Annihilation, most weapons as well as units are an object in the game, meaning that a Big Bertha could very well hit a bomber flying past or a nuke could hit a fighter flying overhead. In Starcraft, all weapons are mere graphical effects, and nothing like this can ever happen."

I'm sorry, but this one doesn't even make sense.

EDIT: Oh, wait, no, I'm just an idiot, I understand now. He's trying to say TA isn't graphics!
DrumsofWar

Post by DrumsofWar »

I never understood why certain RTS fandoms thought their game was the anti-Starcraft, especially C & C. Blizzard arguably took some concepts but Westwood shot itself in the foot with its twenty dozen rehashes of the same game and closed tech tree.

EA tried to take a page from Blizzard with multiple races (and paid actors in cutscenes) but wound up being mediocre at best. I actually thought the one game, engine and feature wise (but not gameplay wise), that could hold up was Rise of Legends but its repetitive campaign and confusing learning curve hampered it greatly.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Nothing about Command & Conquer, TA, or Supreme Commander were ever noteworthy. They were merely stepping stones to Starcraft.

Now, Earth 2150 and Conquest: Frontier Wars. Those were good games.
Xenon

Post by Xenon »

Jim_Raynor wrote: I'm sorry, but this one doesn't even make sense.

EDIT: Oh, wait, no, I'm just an idiot, I understand now. He's trying to say TA isn't graphics!
He means that the projectiles use collision detection.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Which sc can sort of semi have... d2 can have it! :D
DrumsofWar

Post by DrumsofWar »

IskatuMesk wrote:Nothing about Command & Conquer, TA, or Supreme Commander were ever noteworthy. They were merely stepping stones to Starcraft.

Now, Earth 2150 and Conquest: Frontier Wars. Those were good games.
My list of overlooked good RTS would have to include Celtic Wars. On first glance, it seems like a simplistic medieval version of Warcraft 3 with 2D graphics but it has that incredibly crucial are of "It's easy to learn but then it gets slowly complex in an awesome way" that made Starcraft 1 melee so great.

I actually found playing Insane AIs very tough as you had to defend towns while maintaining both supply and reinforcements so you could cut your way to an enemy capital and besiege it. Space Empires V was very fun and given the simultaneous strategic turns and realtime tactical combat, it more or less was an RTS anyway.
Church

Post by Church »

Xenon wrote:
Jim_Raynor wrote: I'm sorry, but this one doesn't even make sense.

He means that the projectiles use collision detection.
I'm aware, I was being sarcastic.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Celtic Wars sounds very familiar but I know I haven't played it. I'm curious just to see if it has music I'd want in it. *finds*

/e aaaa it's hard to find
DrumsofWar

Post by DrumsofWar »

Get demo. The theme song is fairly good although there's a few other nice pieces, but its soundtrack isn't that extensive hence me not mentioning it in your Greco-Roman-Egypto thread.
wibod

Post by wibod »

Nexus: The Jupiter Incident 4 lyfe