Post by mAc Chaos »

I only buy good games.
http://sanctuary-inc.net/
Thalraxal
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Re: Thalraxal Makes a FFA Map: Forgotten Citadel

Post by Thalraxal »

mAc Chaos wrote:Make it a four player map. Just have the staring locations be the expansions in the top corners.
If this were SC1, I'd do that. But in SC2 they're just a little bit too hard to defend. Bases are much more fragile in SC2. I might rearrange the start locations so that 1-4 are at the central points, and 5-12 are the corners so you can play as 4 or 12 players though.
Lavarinth wrote:You don't even own SC2.
Fix your computer and buy SC2, mAc.
mAc Chaos wrote:I only buy good games.
Fix your computer, wait for the SC2 Battlechest containing Wings of Liberty, Heart of the Swarm and Legacy of the Void to be released and then buy it, mAc.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

It's a shame mac's so biased.. Just like he is with macs being superior to PCs. Mac, just suck it up, buy a video card that actually, you know, works and play SC2. Consider it like buying HL2 with the Source SDK, people make amazing games through it, you don't buy just the game. Oh wait- you wouldn't know about HL2 either...
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Alevice
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Post by Alevice »

Lavarinth wrote:Oh wait- you wouldn't know about HL2 either...
Now that they were released on mac, he might.
mAc Chaos
Zerg Zergling Groomer
Zerg Zergling Groomer

Post by mAc Chaos »

That's... news to me.
Thalraxal wrote:
Lavarinth wrote:You don't even own SC2.
Fix your computer and buy SC2, mAc.
mAc Chaos wrote:I only buy good games.
Fix your computer, wait for the SC2 Battlechest containing Wings of Liberty, Heart of the Swarm and Legacy of the Void to be released and then buy it, mAc.
Haha, I see what you did there. :P
http://sanctuary-inc.net/
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

www.ncix.com you'll thank me later mac <3
Thalraxal

Post by Thalraxal »

New for v1.04 or 1.05! I'm not really counting.

-Mineral and Geyser placement improved!

Thanks again to everyone who played last night and provided feedback. Much appretiated!

Ubel brought up the idea last night, although I'm not sure how much it would help. Would reducing the total number of Geysers make the map better for ground? Or, rather, make it harder to go mass air? I still think the problem is that SC2 favours air, but if there's something I can do to make mass air harder to do, I'd be up for it.

I'd be killing off the Geysers in the "inner ring" if I do this.

EDIT: I have also just discovered that Galaxy Edit will randomize the colour of some doodads that have already been placed when you reload a map. Arg.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Mass air is always going to happen in sc2, just as it always happened in sc1. That is the nature of FFA games.
Mucky
Protoss Khalai Missionary

Post by Mucky »

On top of that, removing geysers isn't going to do anything. It will just gaslock players, which removes a lot of ground options in addition to air options. The natural expansions don't help TBH, being far out the way they are makes it hard for players to defend themselves with ground.

The only thing wrong with the middle expansions is that it's a little too easy for Terran to hold all four of them. Tanks + turrets + planetary fortresses = set for LIFE bitches
AA7Dragoon

Post by AA7Dragoon »

It was fun playing your map. I like how it forces you to kill your neighboring opponent for the expansion. I agree, the middle expansion is a problem. I tried building an expansion there, and a carrier from the neighboring base automatically destroyed it. There needs to be some distance to distinguish betwen the high yield zones. Or just make it one high yield zone. You could even make it in a way where only one base can be built, but it gets access to 4 high yield mineral zones and multiple gas. That would cause some risky competition.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

I didn't like it cause I lost.

But no, good job making reapers unable to enter anywhere aside the main entrance. Two spine crawlers and some Zergling later, Ricky was dead in his tracks.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Thalraxal

Post by Thalraxal »

Mucky wrote:On top of that, removing geysers isn't going to do anything. It will just gaslock players, which removes a lot of ground options in addition to air options. The natural expansions don't help TBH, being far out the way they are makes it hard for players to defend themselves with ground.
Yeah, that was my concern about reducing Geysers. Two Geysers in Inner Ring expansions get to stay.
AA7Dragoon wrote:It was fun playing your map. I like how it forces you to kill your neighboring opponent for the expansion.
Thank you! Excellent, killing your neighbour was one of the things I was hoping to encourage in the Forgotten Citadel.
Mucky wrote:The only thing wrong with the middle expansions is that it's a little too easy for Terran to hold all four of them. Tanks + turrets + planetary fortresses = set for LIFE bitches
AA7Dragoon wrote:I agree, the middle expansion is a problem. I tried building an expansion there, and a carrier from the neighboring base automatically destroyed it. There needs to be some distance to distinguish betwen the high yield zones. Or just make it one high yield zone. You could even make it in a way where only one base can be built, but it gets access to 4 high yield mineral zones and multiple gas. That would cause some risky competition.
I've been debating what to do about the Central Platform. I was thinking of just removing the High Yield Minerals from it, and just make it all normal minerals, but that wouldn't really solve the problem. I think I'll go for the "single high yield mineral field" in the middle option. If I do that though, I'll probably put in the mineral fields in the foresty area around the Central Platform at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock (between the Watchtower Platforms) that I was debating about earlier.
Lavarinth wrote:I didn't like it cause I lost.

But no, good job making reapers unable to enter anywhere aside the main entrance. Two spine crawlers and some Zergling later, Ricky was dead in his tracks.
lol. You can thank Mesk for that. Sadly, my lone Photon Cannon was unable to save me from Ricky's Reapers. It might have helped if my army wasn't away fighting Quirriff and Ubel at the time...
Thalraxal

Post by Thalraxal »

Finally getting back to working on this map again. Working on redoing the central platform right now and looking for feedback. Currently I have a "two sided mineral field" thing going, with access from either side. Still trying to figure out the optimal placement for the geysers. I might increase it to four, placing two more north and south of the mineral field. The only problem that I see with the current layout is that it provides good incentive for Terrans to just drop two Planetary Fotresses in there. Oh, well. Better than four.