New Protoss Portrait - Xanon - Dark Templar

Your destination for all things related to the Legacy of the Confederation series, including StarCraft, Brood War, and StarCraft II editions.

Moderator: The Oracle

The Oracle
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

New Protoss Portrait - Xanon - Dark Templar

Post by The Oracle »

http://www.campaigncreations.org/blog/b ... u=316&b=45

First Protoss portrait for LotC is complete.
Maglok
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: New Protoss Portrait - Xanon - Dark Templar

Post by Maglok »

I like that. They look like you decided they will not be animated and ingame as models but as pictures?
- Maglok
Audio engineer and writer
SC2 campaign dev ranting: The Bunker blog
The Oracle
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by The Oracle »

@Maglok:

Oh no, the models will be in-game and animated. The images I'm showing you guys just aren't rigged yet is all.
AA7Dragoon
Protoss Khalai Missionary
Protoss Khalai Missionary

Post by AA7Dragoon »

Very cool, Oracle! The preview video looked great too!
Maglok
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Maglok »

The Oracle wrote:@Maglok:

Oh no, the models will be in-game and animated. The images I'm showing you guys just aren't rigged yet is all.
The older male doctor seems to be 'smoothed' that can't work ingame can it?
- Maglok
johnnythewolf
Terran Starport Baggage Handler

Post by johnnythewolf »

I didn't know Ulzeraj was canon, as I always thought the Enslavers campaign was just some kind of canonically-dubious sidestory. Why did you decide to include him?
The Oracle
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by The Oracle »

@Maglok: We'll find out

#Johnnythewolf: Well, LotC's not canon, so that does give me a lot of leeway. Ulrezaj was actually a big part of the Dark Templar trilogy novels also. Not that that means anything as Blizz retconned SC1/Broodwar and their novels to hell and back. I do believe Ulrezaj will be a part of Legacy of the Void.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Maglok what do you mean by smoothed? Smoothing groups do work in sc2 or you can just make stuff higher poly. *shrug*
johnnythewolf

Post by johnnythewolf »

The Oracle wrote:@Maglok: We'll find out

#Johnnythewolf: Well, LotC's not canon, so that does give me a lot of leeway. Ulrezaj was actually a big part of the Dark Templar trilogy novels also. Not that that means anything as Blizz retconned SC1/Broodwar and their novels to hell and back. I do believe Ulrezaj will be a part of Legacy of the Void.
AFAIK, they did not, at least regarding the novels. Blizzard's policy has always been that the games' chronology takes priority.

I'm just surprised that you choose to use that character in particular; while we're at it, is Allen Schezar in LotC as well?
The Oracle
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by The Oracle »

@Johnny

The character Ulrezaj doesn't appear in the campaigns until Episode 3. And even then, just for one mission. The purpose of his presence is more to help resolve Xanon's character story more than for Ulrezaj himself.
Maglok
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Maglok »

IskatuMesk wrote:Maglok what do you mean by smoothed? Smoothing groups do work in sc2 or you can just make stuff higher poly. *shrug*
It looked like it had that 'make edges rounder' smooth. if 3dmax or so does that usually that means it increases poly. Though I have no idea if it can work, i just never see that in Blizzard models. Not my area of expertise. :)

The lore on the other hand. Ulrezaj, yeah, complicated. :) Definitely some form of canon at the moment though.
- Maglok
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Maglok>

There's a few ways you can "make edges rounder". The way you're talking about is basically Turbosmooth and yes you can put that into sc2 if you want to. The game will accept very high poly models and those models look fairly low poly as they are, turbosmooth with 1 iteration won't raise it that high. The other way is through smoothing groups. It won't give as "clean" a result as a model with good edge flow and turbosmooth, but it prevents the edges from being "sharp".

So for example on any kind of a ship or building, I want it set to have no smoothing groups so it does have those hard edges. But on something like skin you can give it smoothing groups.

Smoothing groups are functional on this guy's wings and shoulder armor and such, but they don't work with multi-object materials yet so his chest armor and skin doesn't have smoothing groups, thus they have hard edges and look really mangled. He remains very, very low poly.