Where's The Fun

Cliff747
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Where's The Fun

Post by Cliff747 »

That's it!! No more. Unlike SC1 and BW this Campaign is made for multiplayer. I just don't have the skills to play at fast and faster speed.

I have 1320 of the 1590 achivements points, whatever that means, and have completed 16 of 29 missions on Hard. But it's just a game, not life or death. Oh it was very satisfing to blink Zeratul around for six minutes for the Overmind Dead Body achivement, but still it' only a game.

I'll still try, but only halfheartedly, to complete the campaign on Hard.

For now it's back to playing against the AI. Even on Insane it's not as unforgiving as the campaign on Hard.

IMO the one bad thing is the set game speed. Change that and maybe us old men can play again.
Lwerewolf
Terran Refinery Attendant
Terran Refinery Attendant

Re: Where's The Fun

Post by Lwerewolf »

You don't need to be fast to beat it even on brutal. Just use the proper strategies :) Hint: Upgraded MM roll over pretty much anything.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

I understand what you mean, Cliff, and wouldn't be surprised to see this adjusted in the future for Hard, but for now gotta take things the way they are. At least you have us, the campaigners, to keep you interested in the future.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

The campaign was not made for multiplayer. It was made largely for "casual", low-level players. Thus the emphasis on turtling off of 1 base.
Xenon
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee

Post by Xenon »

I think the speed restriction is absurd too. I played a few missions on Hard and lost interest.

What's the deal with Blizzard trying to control how we play the game? (killing the ability to click on unit icons at the bottom of the screen is another example, and don't get me started on removing local hosting.)
UntamedLoli
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy

Post by UntamedLoli »

Because the speed difference is part of the difficulty? You are not forced to play on them if you can't handle it.
Xenon

Post by Xenon »

Certainly there are other ways to increase difficulty. The Warcraft 3 campaigns didn't force a higher speed on hard, did they? (I don't think I've played them on Hard, however.)

It seems more like that increasing the difficulty further instead of restricting the speed could frustrate players who are too "pro" to play on anything but faster.
UntamedLoli

Post by UntamedLoli »

WC3's difficulty system was mindlessly bloating health values.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

I think an increase in units, the AI's strategy, and other aspects could of equally been more effective than manipulating the game speed.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

Lavarinth wrote:I think an increase in units, the AI's strategy, and other aspects could of equally been more effective than manipulating the game speed.
Well, if you actually looked for a while in the editor... that's exactly what's going on. The game speed isn't even what makes Hard... hard. It's little things such as attack waves having more or different units (waves may now include High Templar or have 2 extra Zealots), computers using research upgrades (High Templar use Psi Storm against you), and the Supernova firewall just plain moving faster (this is especially apparent if you play on Brutal, the firewall moves at a ridiculously accelerated rate compared to Normal). Some of these things really don't make a mission that much harder-- the first Char mission is stupid easy on every difficulty, for instance.

The game speed is really the least of the changes being made.
Xenon wrote:Certainly there are other ways to increase difficulty. The Warcraft 3 campaigns didn't force a higher speed on hard, did they? (I don't think I've played them on Hard, however.)
They didn't. On the other hand, the game was set on the fasted speed by default, so it really didn't matter.
Hunter_Killers wrote:WC3's difficulty system was mindlessly bloating health values.
That only applied in general in WC3's easy mode and SC2's casual mode.
-- Razorclaw X
Creator of Wanderers of Sorceria and Vision of the Future
Cliff747
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by Cliff747 »

Well I've done two more missions on hard but now I'm back to casual and normal and having fun.
Maglok
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Maglok »

The health values are 'bloated' here and there. You need to gather more stuff, kill more stuff (protoss map 4) or defeat higher hp mobs (hybrid in protoss 3). More marauder kill packs, etc.

Am at 18/29 brutal, and it is really starting to be quite hard.
- Maglok
Audio engineer and writer
SC2 campaign dev ranting: The Bunker blog