Zerg

DrumsofWar
Protoss Infested Terran (Unemployed)
Protoss Infested Terran (Unemployed)

Re: Zerg

Post by DrumsofWar »

Has anyone found squirting Creep off-site outside a base and then entrenching a bunch of Crawlers viable or just one of those conditional once-in-20-games sort of stratgies?

Also, nice post by Mesk and by Mucky with SCIENCE!
New-/Hydrolisk
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by New-/Hydrolisk »

Mucky wrote:Erm, excuse me? Where's your hard data?
in my pants, next to my head
(but srs, it's coming from my experience. which is soft data, ffuuuu)

I'm actually surprised someone actually went through and got data though.

-

I'm going to compare the averages of the first two types. The first and second attempts for the extractor trick will be merged, since Queens and Roach Warrens both cost the same amount of resources. (See attachment.)

From the chart, I gather that the differences are pretty marginal and insignificant.
Truncating to the ten-thousandths place, gathering rates are 0.4058m/s and 0.4494m/s.
At 05 minutes into the game w/stated rates: 121.7277m and 134.8052m. (Difference: 13.0774m.)
At 10 minutes into the game w/stated rates: 243.4555m and 269.6104m. (Difference: 26.1549m.)
At 15 minutes into the game w/stated rates: 365.1832m and 404.4156m. (Difference: 39.2323m.)
At 20 minutes into the game w/stated rates: 486.9110m and 539.2208m. (Difference: 52.3098m.)

soooo it looks like Extractor tricking will let you make an extra Drone or Zergling at 20min in to the game...
THAT'S DEFINITELY GONNA WIN THE GAME.
Though, really, the differences in time and minerals can now be stated to be very marginal. The only really big advantage I see coming from this is an extra Drone for building something.

ugghuuu, what a pointless journey...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mucky
Protoss Khalai Missionary
Protoss Khalai Missionary

Post by Mucky »

The biggest factors are how you split your drones at the beginning, and making sure you rally your drones to empty mineral patches.

What are those rates supposed to mean? I assumed m/s meant minerals per second, but 0.4058 and 0.4494 minerals per second seems awfully low.

Also, it just occurred to me... even if the actual loss for canceling an extractor is 6 minerals, for most purposes you're essentially losing 10 minerals. Everything in the game is in multiples of 5, so not only do you pay 6 minerals upfront, you have 4 minerals that you can't ever do anything with. You would need to cancel more buildings throughout the course of the game to get your mineral count back to being a multiple of 5, and even then there's no guarantee that it'll work out that way.
New-/Hydrolisk
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by New-/Hydrolisk »

Yea, that's true. I don't really find it coming back to haunt me though. Eh, long term vs. short term benefit I guess. If you extractor trick, you'll essentially be losing out on a mineral retrieval, while otherwise, you get 50 extra minerals around end-game faster.

Since I send out my 9 drone and usually lose it though, I prefer keeping to extractor tricking to make up for the drone's loss.

Yea, m/s is minerals per second. They do seem a bit low. What I did to clarify is divide the minerals

wait shit I think I fucked up somewhere.

I divided the last entry of the minerals column by the last entry of the seconds column. In retrospect, it was a pretty stupid thing to do.
superdoughboy4
Terran Missile Turret Rotary Tester
Terran Missile Turret Rotary Tester

Post by superdoughboy4 »

Minerals, timing, Zergs, Drones, Zerglings, pools, ovoelrid.sd, , sdoo m n umbe rnumb bnumeb NUMBERS! GTFO NUMBERS! FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEL!