First! Now let's talk spoilers (SC2)!

Moderator: Milldawg

Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Re: First! Now let's talk spoilers (SC2)!

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

As Narud being Duran ... do reverse the letters of Narud and it does become Duran.

And in addition :
Stocker wrote:Kerrigan even says something to the effect of "I'm onto your little charade Narud" or something like that.
So yeah, it feels kind of lazy on Blizzard's part as they didn't bother to have a brand new name for Duran considering Duran would prefer to hide himself better.
Thalraxal
Protoss Stargate Concierge
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Post by Thalraxal »

Ricky_Honejasi wrote:As Narud being Duran ... do reverse the letters of Narud and it does become Duran.

And in addition :
Stocker wrote:Kerrigan even says something to the effect of "I'm onto your little charade Narud" or something like that.
So yeah, it feels kind of lazy on Blizzard's part as they didn't bother to have a brand new name for Duran considering Duran would prefer to hide himself better.
I think Blizzard's goal was to drop a hint to the players that Narud was Duran with minimal effort on their side (Heaven forbid giving Narud a larger role and dropping hints that way). That said, I agree with you: the Samir Duran we know would choose a better pseudonym than "Narud". He would have jumbled the letters up.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Ricky_Honejasi wrote:As Narud being Duran ... do reverse the letters of Narud and it does become Duran.

And in addition :
Next time read the thread ;)
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
DrumsofWar
Protoss Infested Terran (Unemployed)

Post by DrumsofWar »

This is a late post since I only finished the campaign last week but I'd have to agree with Mesk that we should definitely expect more from Blizzard and Metzen for campaign making. There's plenty of games with deeply written stories (Freespace 2, Starcraft 1, and so on) that add miles of depth.

They were able to tell a much more compelling stories with less cinematics and less facetime of the heroes in the original game. There's probably dozens of posts online about how terrible a character Tychus was (A stone killer's going to civilly wait to take a shot on Kerrigan letting half a dozen people take him out first.) or how a population of several billion Koprulu Sector Terrans could just overwhelm the Protoss and Zerg with sheer numbers of infantry and ships.(Even a 10% draft rate would mean a billion-man military.)

But hey, the real stars of the campaign were the units and new editor capabilities. While the new units are nice, nerfing or not touching certain units really upsets the balance like Siege Tanks (higher cost, weaker but wider splash attack), Shield Batteries (low HP Protoss units are now disposable), or Zergling/Hydralisks (Zerg now have weaker early ground and overall anti-air).

The Challenge minigames were actually more fun than some of the levels however and demonstrated some more nice features. I felt they should have created more "stock" custom maps to better spur the community, but that may be coming in the form of a Blizzard map of the month.
omega20
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager

Post by omega20 »

I finished the campaign a few days ago, since I wasn't able to play it earlier, and I must agree with... well, god damn everyone. The plot was weaker than that of SC1 in many ways. How did a population of 32,000 terrans became one of around 13 billion in just 300 years? Hell, at this rate the Koprulu Sector will be overpopulated after 100 more years, if not before! And about Kerrigan... well, I kinda like the idea of she being deinfested; that'd be one of the two fates she could suffer (the other would be she being killed). But hell, not SO soon. There are still two campaigns to be released? Who's controlling the zerg now? Do Blizzard plans to have the newly deinfested Kerrigan controlling the Swarm? Good that this is sci-fi. In real life, no matter how much psychic or psionic or hell-born powers she has; 10 billion of zerg (just in Char) are still too many to deal with; they'd eat her alive.

The gameplay was good though. I liked the new mission types, and that there are not just B&D missions (I like them, but having a 90% of the missions in a campaign as B&D is a bit repetitive). The editor's capabilities are impressing. You can do pretty much everything with it. That, of course, once you actually learn HOW to use it! I'm having trouble even with such basic things like editing terrain; I can't just imagine what awaits me when I move to trigger editing...

About the voice acting, I liked all terran voices in general, as well as Kerrigan's voice; though in her case I think the original's voice fitted better the character. The Overmind's voice didn't sound like the original, and Zeratul's voice... well, without comments.

I hope the plot is improved after the release of the two next expansions. Otherwise, I don't understand how Metzen could have said this is his best work. As of now, I like SC1's plot way more than SC2's.
DrumsofWar

Post by DrumsofWar »

omega20 wrote:About the voice acting, I liked all terran voices in general, as well as Kerrigan's voice; though in her case I think the original's voice fitted better the character.
Keep in mind this is the new voice actor for Kerrigan.

Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

I rather her not talk and look like that.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
AA7Dragoon
Protoss Khalai Missionary

Post by AA7Dragoon »

This is an AA7 thread, DoW. You should know better.
DrumsofWar

Post by DrumsofWar »

This is the voice actor for Jim Raynor (from both games). Isn't he just as hot?

AA7Dragoon

Post by AA7Dragoon »

All right, you asked for it.

This is Brian Bloom. He is the voice actor for Matt Horner.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

those eyes penetrate every nook and cranny
omega20

Post by omega20 »

He looks so similar to the actual Horner...

AA7Dragoon

Post by AA7Dragoon »

They intentionally did that.
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

omega20 wrote:He looks so similar to the actual Horner...

Yeah, he does. I googled this guy and apparently he's done some moviework and photoshoots as well as voice work. He strikes me as a gay icon as well, but I'm not sure. I think it's really cool the video game industry "copies" the looks from good-looking human beings. Assassin's Creed's Desmond is also modeled after a male model.
omega20

Post by omega20 »

Legion wrote:Yeah, he does. I googled this guy and apparently he's done some moviework and photoshoots as well as voice work. He strikes me as a gay icon as well, but I'm not sure. I think it's really cool the video game industry "copies" the looks from good-looking human beings. Assassin's Creed's Desmond is also modeled after a male model.
It doesn't seem to be just him, though. This is Arcturus Mengsk's voice actor, for both SC1 and SC2.

And Gabriel Tosh's