Hire the Serious Sam voice actor for your mod today

DrumsofWar
Protoss Infested Terran (Unemployed)
Protoss Infested Terran (Unemployed)

Hire the Serious Sam voice actor for your mod today

Post by DrumsofWar »

The professional voice actor has hit some hard times so he's hiring himself out for a dollar a word to anyone willing to pay.  So if you want a little extra spice for your mod or custom content, it might be worth getting a little extra touch from the self-nicknamed John J Dick.

Here's the VA's gravelly voice in action:

And the full details as to why he's doing all this: http://www.violencemedia.com/

Source: RockPaperShotgun
Last edited by DrumsofWar on Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Oracle
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Re: Hire the Serious Sam voice actor for your mod today

Post by The Oracle »

A year late in response but I did. He plays a few characters in Episode 1.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Hiring for mods doesn't sit well with me.
The Oracle
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by The Oracle »

Hiring for a mod which will be given free to the community is even worse :P
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Well, a mod is always free, so that's a given. Otherwise it isn't a mod.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Personal choice. This site is fully free, yet I've paid for help, and you all reap the rewards from it. Same goes with mods, if Oracle wants to pay some actors or some 3D artists because he doesn't know how to to do it himself, and knows that paying will result in faster or more guaranteed work than free requests, then that's his creation to pay for and perhaps it's the fact that it IS his creation that he'd like to see completed that he'll pay to push it a bit further in development. He doesn't have to release this to the public, but is going to, to share his creation, because he enjoys it enough to feel others should as well. Whether or not he paid to have some help, is irrelevant.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

I could pay people. I could pay Sarge to skin all of my shit or make CGI and I'm sure he'd do a damn good job I couldn't do in 10 years.

But having grown up with virtually no money to spend, and now having the most amount of money I'll ever have with disability which is still meager, I'd rather pressure myself to become better and learn things on my own. If I can't learn them, then I feel I shouldn't be making a project, same with anyone else. Now, Oracle obviously has loads of cash I'll never see in a lifetime and he's spent more money on this project than I'll ever own, which he can obviously spare. But if I had the choice, and the same money he has, I'd probably avoid doing that.

I'd rather people work for me because they believe in me or in my work than just for a paycheck. I feel the work becomes more personal and achieves a greater quality because of that. When I see someone throwing tons of cash at something I have a hard time seeing it in a positive light. It means that Oracle will probably finish his project and I'll never be able to finish anything, but that's because of my own personal failures. If I wasn't brain damaged I could do everything he's paying people to do. It'd take longer, but I'd be able to do it. And I wouldn't be pressured by it.

Becoming monetarily involved in anything related to what I do is not something I have ever considered. I don't even accept donations, which have been offered on many occasions. Becoming monetarily involved puts an entirely new level of pressure on yourself and on your "team". They don't care about you or your project, they just want their paycheck. Otherwise they wouldn't be charging you for their work. That's not the kind of mindset I think any kind of a project should have unless you are making it for commercial purposes in the first place. Which you can't do with a mod/campaign.

Also you get revenue off of ads so it isn't a total loss on your part.

Of course my opinion means nothing, though. I'll never accomplish anything, meanwhile Oracle will finish his campaign in due time and be revered as a legend and a revolutionary. No one will remember my name, but they'll remember his. It's because he could remain dedicated enough to take that risk and enter that environment without doubting himself or caring about the mood behind it. So I guess that makes me an idiot.
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

IskatuMesk wrote: I'd rather people work for me because they believe in me or in my work than just for a paycheck. I feel the work becomes more personal and achieves a greater quality because of that.
Hah, yeah. Unfortunately, the grown up world doesn't work like that. Money makes the world go round, my friend. And it should.
IskatuMesk wrote: Becoming monetarily involved puts an entirely new level of pressure on yourself and on your "team". They don't care about you or your project, they just want their paycheck.
And this is a bad thing how? You'll get things done more easily and a lot faster if you pay people. Belief in a product or a person only goes so far. It won't see anyone through the entire production process, let alone multiple productions.
IskatuMesk wrote: Of course my opinion means nothing, though. I'll never accomplish anything, meanwhile Oracle will finish his campaign in due time and be revered as a legend and a revolutionary. No one will remember my name, but they'll remember his. It's because he could remain dedicated enough to take that risk and enter that environment without doubting himself or caring about the mood behind it. So I guess that makes me an idiot.
With respect, I don't think anyone will remember the name of a mod crafter. Nobody knows who Chris Metzen is outside of these community forums. We're spending all this time on something nobody will care about in 10-20 years. Maybe even 5, who knows?

And that makes us all idiots.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Belief in a product or a person only goes so far. It won't see anyone through the entire production process, let alone multiple productions.
And that's why you shouldn't ever be relying on random people and only yourself and those you really actually know.