First! Now let's talk spoilers (SC2)!

Moderator: Milldawg

IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: First! Now let's talk spoilers (SC2)!

Post by IskatuMesk »

Hunter_Killers wrote:Protoss forgot to expand so every time Artanis clicks on the Research New Technology button there isn't enough Minerals and Vespene gas.
TERRIBLE

Unfortunately that article doesn't really provide any technical details of how much of an impact they can withstand. There's a big difference between a 9mm and a 50 cal and then a 120mm, for example.
Xenon
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee

Post by Xenon »

Protoss have that whole unified thought Khala thing, development for new technology would be ten times as fast
I think that might actually be counterproductive. Groupthink FTL?

Does the other media mention anything about how thorough the "glassing" was? Obviously not very, seeing as there's mention of Zerg burrows being discovered and that the planets are already habitable and have large trees. Heck, to do a half-competent job you'd need to vaporize any oceans to get the stuff underneath.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

well I'm pretty sure mara sara and such got properly exterminated.

Maybe the zerg just came back? They are dicks like that, after all.
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

IskatuMesk wrote: Battlecruisers are slow as fuck (using the cinematics as a reference), and apparently instead of laser cannons the Behemoth classes largely relied on small kinetic guns. I dunno what the deal with that is, but in four years the Dominion is not updating an entire fleet that fast. Not to mention that as soon as you start the game, the news says something along the lines of "Instead of upgrading the fleet you've squandered trillions on..."
Blizzard has a short story where the Dominion actually recalled their entire fleet to Korhal for retrofits.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

So... are you telling me that somewhere along the lines there is a tremendous amount of CONFUSION? What happened, did they update or did they not? ARGH I hate it when people try to make random writing outside of the game canon... argh.
Stoker
Terran Supply Depot Clerk

Post by Stoker »

I'm looking at the Secret Mission from the stand point that Duran could very well be using Mengsk and the Dominion to push along his Hybrid plans, I was hoping to hear from Duran and Stukov at some point throughout the campaign. Them manipulating Mengsk into doing something stupid would be right up Duran's alley.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Stukov? He's just a pissed off uninfested Terran now, isn't he?
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Stoker

Post by Stoker »

Ah, reading up on the wiki you're right. Interesting, I would have thought Duran infested him having killed him.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Stukov was one of the first to be killed and reanimated via infestation, to my knowledge. Leading to the idea Duran dragged his dead corpse back to the cerebrate who performed the task before Duran went crazy (exposed his true plan).

The only thing that bugs me is I could of sworn Duran was speaking of a race of aliens who planned the creation of hybrids, while in SC2, this one Xel'naga alone claims to have planned it all.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Thalraxal
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Post by Thalraxal »

Stoker wrote:I'm looking at the Secret Mission from the stand point that Duran could very well be using Mengsk and the Dominion to push along his Hybrid plans, I was hoping to hear from Duran and Stukov at some point throughout the campaign. Them manipulating Mengsk into doing something stupid would be right up Duran's alley.
Duran probably does show up in the campaign: in the form of Dr. Narud, leader of the Mobius Foundation. There's a chance it's a red herring, but the names are pretty darn similar.

It's a shame Stukov (Infested or uninfested) didn't show up though, considering how much Blizzard's hyped his survival (That N64 bonus mission, and in the WebMaps of the Month Deception and Mercenaries II). Stukov's uninfestation is almost certainly still canon, since Artanis' purfication of Braxis was mentioned a few times (the "Story so far" during installation and on the Braxis page on the SC2 site) and that was a direct result of the mission to save Stukov.
Lavarinth wrote:Stukov was one of the first to be killed and reanimated via infestation, to my knowledge. Leading to the idea Duran dragged his dead corpse back to the cerebrate who performed the task before Duran went crazy (exposed his true plan).

The only thing that bugs me is I could of sworn Duran was speaking of a race of aliens who planned the creation of hybrids, while in SC2, this one Xel'naga alone claims to have planned it all.
It's been been eons since I last played Dark Origins, but as I recall Duran was pretty vague about who or what he was working for. While alot of what he said would hint at his allegiance being with the Xel'naga, Blizzard left it open enough that they really could have taken the origins of Duran and his Hybrids in almost any direction they wanted.
Stoker

Post by Stoker »

Oh, yea, I definitely think Narud is Duran. Kerrigan even says something to the effect of "I'm onto your little charade Narud" or something like that. It would make sense that Duran would want Kerrigan in the ground, so him working close to the Dominion in Moebious makes a lot of sense. Also while Mengsk might be the one that was watching and maybe was really pulling Tychus's strings, it wouldn't be too far off to say that Duran was ultimately behind Tychus trying to take a crack at assassinating Kerrigan. Duran was certainly positioned to mastermind it all if he is Narud.
Archangel
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector

Post by Archangel »

Well it makes sense from a pretentiously unclever "aHA! Look how clever we are!" angle of shoddy story-telling.

Mobius IS the one algorithm that basically represents traversing one course of action that leads you to a "surprise!" twist ending.

Really, I don't understand why we're still talking about this. Every part of StarCraft 2's campaign story was shit. Metzen has revealed himself to be a hack in hack's clothing. And thanks to all of us, he's now a ridiculously rich hack.
tipereth
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist

Post by tipereth »

Why did Kerrigan want the artifacts? Did she just get bored or something? The zerg invasion was like, a big part of the story, and they never gave any reason beyond 'Kerrigan wanted the artifacts'. And even then, that wouldn't have required a full scale invasion of Terran space.
Thalraxal

Post by Thalraxal »

tipereth wrote:Why did Kerrigan want the artifacts? Did she just get bored or something? The zerg invasion was like, a big part of the story, and they never gave any reason beyond 'Kerrigan wanted the artifacts'. And even then, that wouldn't have required a full scale invasion of Terran space.
Kerrigan was bored is probably as good a guess as any right now. There's been some speculation that she knew what the Artifacts could do, and either wanted them to prevent them from being used on her or because she wanted to use them for that effect. Since Kerrigan is supposed to be the Point of View character for Heart of the Swarm, it makes sense they'd save the answer to that question for that campaign, but it doesn't help the plot of WoL one bit.
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

Thalraxal wrote:
tipereth wrote:Why did Kerrigan want the artifacts? Did she just get bored or something? The zerg invasion was like, a big part of the story, and they never gave any reason beyond 'Kerrigan wanted the artifacts'. And even then, that wouldn't have required a full scale invasion of Terran space.
Kerrigan was bored is probably as good a guess as any right now. There's been some speculation that she knew what the Artifacts could do, and either wanted them to prevent them from being used on her or because she wanted to use them for that effect. Since Kerrigan is supposed to be the Point of View character for Heart of the Swarm, it makes sense they'd save the answer to that question for that campaign, but it doesn't help the plot of WoL one bit.
Exactly. If they wanted to keep things a mystery, they should have given a temporary explanation for it that'd later be retconned. That's how it works in a series. They didn't want to do it that way, they should have released the entire game at once.

That whole artifacts bogus is really beginning to piss me off, by the way. It's almost like Blizzard can't cook up a half decent plotline without throwing in that cheap plot device. They could have just called them 'Things' and it'd the exact same story start to finish.