First! Now let's talk spoilers (SC2)!

Moderator: Milldawg

IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: First! Now let's talk spoilers (SC2)!

Post by IskatuMesk »

Um... Brutal is easy. I don't know why you think you'd ever play through the campaign a second time just for that.

Far more is wrong with the game than just voice acting. See above.
But you know what? I HAD FUN PLAYING THE GAME. Along with lots of other people. Deal with it.
This is such an irrelevant bullshit comment. I'm surprised Bill, I didn't expect you to post redundant flamebait like that. Either make a real argument or don't post? Oh wait, there's nothing to argue with! Dur hurr hurr herp derp
Falchion
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist
Location: Bragança Paulista, Brazil (Da most borin' place in the world)

Post by Falchion »

Rocco wrote:Duran and Dr. Narud have a really, really similar goatee, mustache, whatever facial hair bullshit thing going on.
SPOILERS!!!
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

wut???????
Mr.
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper

Post by Mr. »

You're right, there's nothing to argue with. I am annoyed about how you get offended by the fact that people like this game.
I think people are just too accustomed to settling for less. It disappointments me greatly that people will just suck up whatever they're handed and be content with it without question.
Allow me to reiterate my previous point.
I HAD FUN PLAYING THE GAME. Along with lots of other people. Deal with it.
What else is there to say? Oh right, there's this:
Sc2 is just a big string of butchered tropes and cliches with voice acting that gives me migraines sprinkled on decent mission design in a non-linear clusterfuck that leaves you empty and lacking of substance. For 90% of the campaign you are just chasing around mundane bullshit without a care in the world using the most basic and primitive of dialogue seen in gaming since the 80's, and even then I can think of Roguelikes decimating this game's sense of immersion through text in a single pass. There's nothing to praise here, just content that incites various pressure facepalms. Perhaps in rhymes, like a rap. Maybe that was Blizzard's intentions all along, upon which case I have to applaud their genius. If their goal was to see how shitty of a story they could make and see if people would still suck it up just because they're Blizzard, they've gone above and beyond the call of duty to achieve amazing results.
I don't care.

It was a shitty story, yes. But I played the game, and I had a lot of fun doing so. Does that mean that I "sucked it up"? What would it mean to not "suck it up"? What would one have to do for that? Should I hate the game, even though I thought it was really fun, because the "epic" story didn't deliver? Because I don't. Am I supposed to write Blizzard an angry letter, telling them that they'd better rewrite Wings of Liberty, and rerelease it with a better story?

Or should I boycott Heart of the Swarm? I'm not going to. Because I want it. I'll get the collector's edition, too. By the way, I'm expecting the story for that one to be retarded, too, with the exact same voice acting. But I'm also expecting more really fun missions, and new units, and more multiplayer to be played, and more editor capabilities, and HOPEFULLY a better battle net. But I am aware of what I will not be getting, and that is a science fiction masterpiece.

On that note, yeah, Battle net gives me some reasons to hate it, but not enough to outweigh all the fun I've had playing it.

So really, my point remains.
I HAD FUN PLAYING THE GAME. Along with lots of other people. Deal with it.
You hate it. That's great. You can rant about it as much as you want. In fact, I enjoy reading your rants about it, because I tend to agree with most of it. The only thing, however, is that I put much less weight on the story and the voice acting than you do. I can look past these things because really, they just don't bother me that much. So please keep talking about what you hate about this game. But don't insult me for enjoying the game, despite its many shortcomings.
Rocco
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager
Zerg Ultralisk Waste Manager

Post by Rocco »

I'm sorry, but isn't this thread all about spoilers?
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

lololol tears of fanboys, keep em coming

Sorry Bill, obviously you didn't read my post very well. Because if you did you'd know that I thought the mission design was decent.
sprinkled on decent mission design
But that was the only thing out of the entire campaign that's worth mentioning. That's nothing to argue about, that's just facts. I'm not going to insult you for enjoying the game. I'm going to insult, berate, and laugh at every single individual who blindly clings to the delusions that anything other than the mission design themselves and pretty shiny are even comparable to the original much less "good". Because I know, and they know that Wings of Liberty is nothing compared to what it could been if it had real people working on it and not washed up nobodies. And the fact it missed every opportunity to do something cool and say something memorable intentionally is hilarious all in its own.

I dunno bro, I play campaigns for story. Warcraft 2 gave me that. Diablo 1 and 2 gave me that (though not much of it, enough to be immersed, that's all I ask for). Starcraft gave me that... kind of. Brood war sort of shot everything. Starcraft 2 was just a trainwreck.

Sc2's missions have key flaws though. They are too easy. Any difficulty I encountered came not from the mission design but from circumstancial events, like bad pathing, unit AI, and other such things. Overall I thought the missions were decent, if too easy.

They are all 1-basing missions for the most part. That drums down into a repeditive, slow gameplay that doesn't even come close to expressing what the game is capable of, even in its butchered watered-down state. They are, in the end, still very poor and a shadow of what was possible with this game. Better than the crowd, but not noteworthy.

Again I don't care if you enjoyed it or not. At no point did I say you shouldn't enjoy it. I said you shouldn't try to present it to be something it isn't. You met that with a most Ad Hominem response, to which I cut out your knees and pissed in your shoes. You can keep it up, if you like.
GreatGodSajuuk
Terran Battlecruiser Janitor
Terran Battlecruiser Janitor

Post by GreatGodSajuuk »

Oh btw. The BEST thing I like about sc2 is how for example if you own a LA version of the game. you CANNOT choose English as a language. This especially sucks when someone you know buys it as a gift without knowing that. Sure she'll look for NA version now but it totally ruined the whole gift part...
Alevice
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Post by Alevice »

I expected that language issue and decided to get the NA installer (that and because of the region locking too).

Also, it seems that I was the only one who was absolutely bored by the wc3 campaigns.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

They were boring because the world and setting are boring. Blizzard just needs to hire actual writers and many of their problems will evaporate.

But again, stuff being too easy lets your mind wander.
Mr.

Post by Mr. »

IskatuMesk wrote:Sorry Bill, obviously you didn't read my post very well. Because if you did you'd know that I thought the mission design was decent.
No, I'm definitely aware that you thought that the mission design was decent. But what I'm saying is, you're looking at it from a completely different angle from me, and a lot of other people. You value the story more. I value the gameplay more. We can both agree that the story is balls. So I can see why you don't like it. But even you say that the gameplay is decent, and I think it is quite good. Therefore I do like it.

And I agree with Krazy that, the single player, at least, is better than Starcraft 1. For the multiplayer, I'll get back to you in a few years.

But that was the only thing out of the entire campaign that's worth mentioning. That's nothing to argue about, that's just facts. I'm not going to insult you for enjoying the game. I'm going to insult, berate, and laugh at every single individual who blindly clings to the delusions that anything other than the mission design themselves and pretty shiny are even comparable to the original much less "good".

Again I don't care if you enjoyed it or not. At no point did I say you shouldn't enjoy it. I said you shouldn't try to present it to be something it isn't.
But see, that's the thing... who IS presenting it to be something it isn't? I don't know of anyone who has said "Man, Starcraft 2 had the best story of any game ever." At least, not here, anyway. Are there people out there who think that?

EDIT: I have no idea why I took it personally. I guess I misinterpreted your statement at first. I apologize.
Last edited by Mr. on Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

There's a few people here who say stuff like that (I'm looking at you, Magic! I'll gut your biscuits...). I read through this entire thread and had like a 10 page reply loaded up that basically attacked every single post in some shape or form (should have seen how much I dropped the blonde bombshell on Bioware, hoho! Someone would have certainly gotten uppity about that), but then decided just to summarize it in that paragraph. Which I guess kind of eliminated all of the bullet points and specifics I had gotten into where I was addressing specific posts and points... but yeah.

There was a post where Oracle was concerned that Blizzard had taken elements from his story, and I was going to say that the times now are far different than when he made that campaign. Now it's all the rage to abuse that kind of a story, but back then it wasn't, so he shouldn't take it as such. Additionally, the SoW team was absolutely convinced that Blizzard was stealing each and every one of their ideas for sc2.

Most people are aware that the story is not all Metzen cracked it up to be, what a shock that was. But some people made veery peculiar comments.

And I wanted to see what would happen if I summarized all my thoughts into one big angry ball.

When I look at sc2 and I think the gameplay is ok, unfortunately everything else brings it down anyways for me. I am a modder, a writer, a voice actor, and I resist the urge to call myself a graphics artist and insult everyone who genuinely is. I see things as a whole, and I see the potential that was abandoned and the corners that were hacksawed off, and I have to say, "Holy shit, what the fuck did they do to this?"

Gameplay and everything else contribute to an overall experience. If you're the kind of guy that focuses on just the one element then yeah, it's good and you'll enjoy it. But I have a hard time enjoying it because I keep seeing everything else.

/e IT'S OK BRO NO HARD FEELINGS ^________^
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

Alevice wrote: Also, it seems that I was the only one who was absolutely bored by the wc3 campaigns.
The WC3 campaigns were alright except for maybe the Night Elf campaign, which by the time you get there you just want the game to be over.
Xelxiuz
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)

Post by Xelxiuz »

The Oracle wrote:Okay okay, fair enough. Tell me this then. Do you think it's completely outside the realm of possibility that with many other similarities as well as the Oracle similarity, that somewhere in Blizz, the term 'Roach' was latched onto as a result of someone playing LotC? After all, Zerg are called 'Roaches' all through that campaign. Just curious.
Like I said it's not entirely unfeasible but the chances are so slim it's like saying they named the Xel'Naga after my name and my overuse of the N word changed into something more rated E.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Blizzard doesn't play custom campaigns/mods. And if anyone in there does, they keep quiet about it.
Xenon
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee

Post by Xenon »

Just out of curiosity Mesk, can you give an example of what you would like in a plot for SC2?