Editor Question - Attaching units to another unit.

Archangel
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector

Editor Question - Attaching units to another unit.

Post by Archangel »

OK, so I need to attach some units to another unit. This seems to be a thread all over the place, except they're all entirely for fanboys wanting to make that stupid omegalisk thing.

The one tutorial for THAT monstrosity assumes that's the only thing anyone would want to make, so it doesn't bother explaining what the heck you're doing or why.

Who knows how to do this? I'd love you long time.
Maglok
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: Editor Question - Attaching units to another unit.

Post by Maglok »

Something like this: http://sc2mod.com/board/index.php?page= ... hreadID=89 ?

I know there was also a tutorial around where someone pasted the Tank portrait on a tank.
Maglok
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Maglok »

http://sc2mod.com/board/index.php?page= ... hreadID=89
Like that? There is also one floating around with a tank portrait being attached to a tank or something.
Mr.
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper

Post by Mr. »

I think this is what you're looking for: http://sc2mod.com/board/index.php?page= ... hreadID=89

Also I've heard rumors of someone putting the tank portrait on the tank somewhere.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Obviously what he meant was something more like http://sc2mod.com/board/index.php?page= ... hreadID=89

Mr.: That wasn't an attachment, that was him mending two models together to show the simplicity of meshing model files together, I believe.
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

That topic is useless because it assumes you want to make it with triggers every time.

You don't even need to do that.
Archangel

Post by Archangel »

Pretty much that. I'm working on a mod for my campaign and I'd rather this be a unit in the mod, and not some unit made in every map of the campaign.

RCX, do you know what I do need to do? That'd be mightily helpful.
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

I'll let you know once I figure out the spaghetti cluster fuck the Leviathan is. The Leviathan's tentacles aren't actually part of the model and each tentacle seeks out its own target (the tentacles aren't units either, but they all have Actors, which is what is more important), but it's also kind of hard to look at at the moment.

Of course if you can figure out how they're all attached to the Leviathan first, you've got a leg up on everyone else. It has to do with the Leviathan's attached Behavior (aka its passive effect), which is where the spaghetti monster comes in.

(I'll get to this later, I'm trying to figure out how to make turrets move)
Last edited by RazorclawX on Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xenon
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee

Post by Xenon »

The Leviathan doesn't use attached units; to what extent does your project require the sections to be actual units?

I'm using triggers for this in my own project unless something better comes up. It looks choppy without blend due to the 1/16 game time second limit but I'd rather have that than the segments flying through a rapidly turning unit.

Also the limit is .0625 sec, not .03125 sec. Triggers just execute twice every .0625 sec if you use a .03125 sec wait the last time I checked (but that was in beta).
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

When I think about it, it's probably easier to decipher the Shrike turret on the bunker instead. That is also an attachment to the normal bunker the same way the tentacles are to the Leviathan.
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

I managed to attach the Leviathan's tentacles to the Omegalisk. Without triggers. The real problem with this is the attachment points seem kind of fickle since not every unit has all the ones available.

The main thing you need to do is to go to the unit's Actor and add entries to their "Events -> Events" list. Add an entry using "Actor Creation" as a header, then for its action select "Create" on the dropdown menu and then add the Actor "Leviathan TentacleA" on the list. Now go to Leviathan TentacleA's Actor and change the "Hosting - Host Site Operations" entry from "SOpHardPoint" to "SOpAttachOverhead". Go to the Omegalisk Unit and add the Behavior "Leviathan Ground Attack Scan". Boom, Omegalisk with a tentacle.

Obviously that'll ruin the Leviathan. On the other hand AFAIK ONLY the Leviathan can make use of SOpHardPoint, and almost everything can make use of things like Overhead and Origin.
Archangel

Post by Archangel »

This sounds positive. I'm just not entirely sure of the principle here.

What I'm trying to make is a Terran structure with a shitload of guns on it. I'd like the guns to be placed around the structure (I'm not sure if they would default to the center or not).

So what's the difference? Can I look at this the same way as the Leviathan? Should I?
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Might need some additional hardpoints for that but not sure how those work yet.
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

Archangel wrote:This sounds positive. I'm just not entirely sure of the principle here.
It depends on how Blizzard is defining attachment points. Once we figure this out it should be a lot easier... maybe.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

They are from the model. The hardpoints are contained in the m3h file. You can add/edit more with NiN's m3 tools but they still don't support particles or ribbon meshes so they'd probably break more than they fix.