SC2 Campaign: How do you get all the upgrades and missions?

Mr.
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper

Re: SC2 Campaign: How do you get all the upgrades and missio

Post by Mr. »

I don't know. I did what AA7 said. I got to the Zeratul missions as quick as I could. I did those, then I finished up the artifact missions, so that the option to go to Char was there. Then I replayed the second Zeratul mission on Casual a few times, and made lots and lots of money selling the research. My tech was maxed out at the time, I'm not sure if that was necessary or not. For some reason, the money I made went up the more normal missions I had finished. The first time I did it, I only got around 100,000 credits for it, but after I had finished all but the Char missions, I was getting 250,000.

Haven't tried it after the patch.

EDIT: Just tried it again. Still works.
Xelxiuz
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)

Post by Xelxiuz »

You got it even using the Char menu? Cause it doesn't work for me and apparently only works on the Hyperion/Lab.
Mr.

Post by Mr. »

Mr. wrote:After I had finished all but the Char missions, I was getting 250,000.
When I tested it earlier, I loaded up a save file from before going to Char, and tried it again. It still worked, but yes, in the Hyperion lab.
Maglok
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Maglok »

Tell me did you first get the research to full before doing it?
Xenon
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee

Post by Xenon »

I just filled both researches and it works now.

Just hope Blizzard doesn't see this. :P
Mr.

Post by Mr. »

Maglok wrote:Tell me did you first get the research to full before doing it?
I suppose so, sorry.
Cliff747
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by Cliff747 »

OK third time through the campaign. I've graduated to normal. The money trick still works, but you don't get as much money. I'm now getting 80K for Protoss research points and 100k for Zerg. But that may be due to the difficalty setting.
You must be set to go into the Char section. If you do it before you only get the value of the research points, but that's extra money too.
I'll be a while at normal diffecalty, I'm having problems with 'In Utter Darkness', so any help there would be great.
Maglok
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Maglok »

On normal they dont bring all that much detection. Build 4 more warpgates, warp in 6 DTs a few times, also invest in immortals against the hybrids. :)
- Maglok
Audio engineer and writer
SC2 campaign dev ranting: The Bunker blog
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

In that mission on Brutal I basically just spammed DT's until void rays became available. I put Colossi on the forward ledges and built additional cannons when I was sitting on a ton of cash and no gas (which was fairly often). Kill Overseers when they appear, let the DT's destroy everything, move colossi whenever they get attacked by air. Other times I made Zealots when my probe got himself killed but they die in an instant to hybrids.

As soon as VR's appeared I began air upgrades and building VR's regularly from my two gates, making more dt's as needed. Grabbed only the land attack upgrades. Focus VR's on hybrids. Then, once Carriers became available, I just spammed carriers and built a third stargate that also made Void Rays. At this point, with carriers being slow to build, I began to start losing ground in the front. But the carriers killed everything that came out - just keep them away from the ranged Hybrids until you get the mothership. Focus all of your carriers on Overseers as soon as they spawn - losing a carrier is a fair price for keeping all of your dts alive, which by now I'd be relying exclusively on to kill most of the land units that came in.

FF worms as soon as they appear, ignore the stuff that pops out. I built a few cannons inside my main base later on to distract mustaches when they flooded out and such. You can TRY to farm the mustaches for kills if you want - the first time I died because of those but got something like 300-400 kills for burning the mustaches.

Once the mothership came out my main was in fair jepordy. At this point I was aiming just to keep the stargates alive to make more void rays and carriers. Eventually my main dies to hybrids and I'm just sitting there with my air units. I was able to hold out for quite a while like this. Use Vortex aggressively when big packs of hybrids show up. Corruptors aren't very dangerous usually, but the Hybrids become a real threat when they get tons of overseers. I suck at multitasking but I'd say hotkey VR's to a second hotkey and just shit-click the Hybrids. In particular your VR hero does a massive amount of damage to these guys when fully charged and upgraded. Micro the MS away from FF and try to keep carriers alive. At this point there was a giant stack of zerglings and such at the back of my dead base - I brought all of my ships over to hover on top of them and farm them for kills. Otherwise I positioned my dudes at the ledge between the two inner ramps so I could vortex one ramp and kill the other. Just be careful with vortex - more often than not over half of my interceptors would fly into the vortex as well.
Mr.

Post by Mr. »

Hell, all I did for that map on brutal was spam colossi and carriers when I got them. As soon as the map started, I built two extra forges and one extra cybernetics core, and spammed upgrades with them. Then I started pumping out colossi, and making zealots when I had extra minerals. I made some extra phoenixes because, oddly enough, you can lift the hybrids. That was actually a big part of my strategy. Lift the hybrids, let the colossi take out all of the zerglings and hydras and whatnot, then take out the hybrids one or two at a time. I had enough colossi that they would destroy anything on the ground, and enough phoenixes to handle the air units. Then when I got carriers, I just spammed those, and seriously didn't have to do anything except keep my guys in a big mob, and let the zerg/hybrids run into it.

Yes, this was on brutal. And I managed to get 750 kills over the 2500 that you need.

ALSO, don't try to defend all three entrances. Keep an eye on which side has units massing up outside of it, move your army to that side. For the beginning portions, they only come from one side at a time.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Yeah I found out you could lift the hybrids early on but I was so gas starved for some reason that I just opted to make VR's instead.
Xenon

Post by Xenon »

My strat is pretty much the same as Mr.'s, but I've only tried Normal as of yet.

I tried farming mustaches once but it didn't appear to give kill credit.

Also, the research bug appears to pay you for the total number of excess samples you ever got, which is why it varies.
Cliff747
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by Cliff747 »

I was looking for fast missions to get money quicker. I was under the assumsion that you needed a mission with research points. I just replayed Liberation Day and got 180K. So now it becomes any mission will give you bonus money.

Thanks for the tips guys. I spamed colossi and VR's in casual but it's harder in normal. I guess I'll have to try it with DT's and upgrades too.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

What's this upgrade bug you be talkin aboot?
Mr.

Post by Mr. »

Read this thread.