First Impressions (spoilers obv)

IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: First Impressions (spoilers obv)

Post by IskatuMesk »

A bit hot = normal. It's called actually using your card! Oh my goodness!
GreatGodSajuuk
Terran Battlecruiser Janitor

Post by GreatGodSajuuk »

@ Xelxiuz
Well my card has no problems on it, though it came with a decent cooling solution so ye.
[imgwh 621x144]http://i.imagehost.org/0709/TuningFail.png[/imgwh]
Xelxiuz
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)

Post by Xelxiuz »

IskatuMesk wrote: A bit hot = normal. It's called actually using your card! Oh my goodness!
You must remember I've been using a cardboard box as a computer this entire time with tin wire as my internet connection. The concept of a computer almost sounding like my car's engine revving is very foreign to me. It was probably why everything I used during my WoW time kept dying cause they were pretty damn silent.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Wow. All of the protoss voice acting/editing is terrible.

The second zeratul mission with the
spoilerssssss
HYBRID OF POWER
was the most disappointing thing I've seen yet. His animations were fucking terrible and he was a pushover. I just massed cannons and until the very he did nothing to me.

His main base on the other hand was a major bitch to punch through. Carriers and shit. Mined out the two bases I had, ran out of resources, made several fruitless attacks on his nexus. He rebuilt everything, I was about to give the mission a second try. Glowfuckface is sloooooowly leveling my main base I've all but abandoned with his shitty ass 5dps and random nuke. I decide to use my remaining stalkers to try to push past the base and to the three preservers.

Two stalkers get past until the archons reset. I proceed to kill all 3 of the preserver prisons with both stalkers. Every time a prison died and the hybrid teleported back, he'd just run off back to my main base again. The most BASIC THING for any kind of objective like this... and they overlooked it?! Two stalkers... won the entire mission. What the fuck.

Horrible.

The giant mining laser was fucking hilarious. I just walled 'er up with tanks and chilled.
Xelxiuz

Post by Xelxiuz »

IskatuMesk wrote: Wow. All of the protoss voice acting/editing is terrible.
You say this as if it was a surprise. I'm pretty sure by the time Legacy of the Void comes out no one will give a !@$% about Artanis and friends because with the treatment they were given they might as well be fodder.

I mean hell they could take Uninfested Stukov and Old Geezer Dragoon as a comedy duo and I'd be satisfied if they ended up saving the universe at the end. No one's gonna remember Fenix clone's voice, and well anyone can do Alexi's accent.
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

IskatuMesk wrote: The giant mining laser was fucking hilarious. I just walled 'er up with tanks and chilled.
That's what you're supposed to do.
-- Razorclaw X
Creator of Wanderers of Sorceria and Vision of the Future
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

I mean, I didn't even bother with the ramps or anything. Eventually the splash killed almost everything I had, except for my bundle of tanks.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Well, I finished the Zeratul missions... and...

What the fuck has Metzen done to this game? I can hardly believe they would ever consider using this writing or plot. It's so... fucking TERRIBLE! Did the bad guy, who's just a reskinned protoss, say "I love it when a plan comes together"? And the planet goes... black? Right... I sure hope he isn't the main villian in the end because he is fucking terrible. And now he's a "Fallen One". ... wah?

I think they aimed to make the story as terrible and cliche as possible. If that was the intention, they damn well succeeded in it.

To think this is how my beloved Starcraft has fallen... I don't even have words to describe it.
Thalraxal
Protoss Stargate Concierge
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Post by Thalraxal »

IskatuMesk wrote:Well, I finished the Zeratul missions... and...

What the fuck has Metzen done to this game? I can hardly believe they would ever consider using this writing or plot. It's so... fucking TERRIBLE! Did the bad guy, who's just a reskinned protoss, say "I love it when a plan comes together"? And the planet goes... black? Right... I sure hope he isn't the main villian in the end because he is fucking terrible. And now he's a "Fallen One". ... wah?

I think they aimed to make the story as terrible and cliche as possible. If that was the intention, they damn well succeeded in it.

To think this is how my beloved Starcraft has fallen... I don't even have words to describe it.
While I really enjoyed the End of the Universe level, the Fallen One is as dumb as a sack of rocks.

Seriously. You're bragging about how the Protoss screwed themselves over by killing Kerrigan to a species that can WARP SPACE AND TIME WITH THEIR MINDS. A species that has had members with the ability to see into the future and write vague and cryptic prophecies about it. Fallen One needs to learn when to shutup.

Oh, I'm sure he was certain that no one would possibly look into the future and see his victory and listen to him lay out what needs to be done to stop it. Oh, no. That'd never happen. ::)
GreatGodSajuuk

Post by GreatGodSajuuk »

"I love it when a plan comes together" is actually an easteregg line. It's a reference to John 'Hannibal' Smith from the The A-Team.

But the fallen one is still lame as hell.
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

IskatuMesk wrote:Well, I finished the Zeratul missions... and...

I'm disappointed as well. In many ways, Wings of Liberty fails to capture the atmosphere and style of its predecessor. I disliked the Zeratul missions, even though the protoss used to be my favorite race, lore-wise. The hybrid guy, "Maar" I believe his name was, was one of the worst surprises. Who the heck is this super dude? Where does he come from all of a sudden? WTF is he saying?! :)

I don't know about Metzen, but it really seems like this game was developed by a completely different team of designers. Except for the logo and some name checks, this game has little to do with Starcraft and Starcraft: Brood War. The overal voice acting is at best mediocre. Raynor is the same, Tychus and the other terrans (I didn't bother to remember their names) are way cool. The protoss voices are so bad. I still can't believe it, Blizzard used to be all about that shit and now they're just careless. That Archon voice, man, COME ON! Why didn't they just use the old ones instead? Some of the best voices, like Zeratul, Artanis and the Overmind, are ruined.

The story so far is getting cliche and dull, but that'd be okay if the rest made up for it.

*sigh* Any ideas when the next instalment is out?
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

A year or so apparently.
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

IskatuMesk wrote:A year or so apparently.
I guess there's the map editor to tide us over. I'm putting all my faith in mods/campaigns now. I don't do multiplayer and the official campaign is quite short. Of course I could play it again to get achievement points and whatnot, but I can't be bothered really. :)

Something tells me there's not going to be a big campaign creation revival, though.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

It's going to be a remake of wc3 in that there will be very few large projects for the game, campaigns and mods especially. In fact I will be surprised if we see a single mod since currently the only way to run a mod entails editing mpq files and potentially being banned as a result.

Campaigns are currently not possible without a bit of backdooring due to the absurd publishing limits which, if such limits are enforced if/when official campaign/mod support comes out, will continue to suffocate custom content.

On top of this, Blizzard release a ruleset for publishing which, while it is mostly just "legal jargon" as Dread so elegantly put it, has already been exercised to ban unaware offending maps with the most minor of offenses (Waves in a defense map momentarily formed a shape on the map which resembled a swastika - map is banned and author is not informed why until he presses the issue repeatedly).

http://us.blizzard.com/support/article. ... rhtml=true

They can and will ban your entire account for,
Racial/Ethnic/National
This category includes both clear and masked content which:

* Has any racial/ethnic connotations
* Has any national connotations
And,
Refers to extremely violent real life actions or events
Armageddon Onslaught makes multiple references to WW2 (specifically Nazi experiments for telepaths and such, and history for WW2 is considerably rewritten). This alone would get it banned, not including the insane amount of violence that happens in any given AO engagement due to the presence of, you know, demons.
This category includes both clear and masked content which:

* Is a mildly inappropriate references to human anatomy or bodily functions
* Is a reference to illegal drugs or activities
* Has neutral or positive racial/ethnic/national connotations
* Has any connotations of major religions or religious figures (i.e. Jesus, Christianity, Buddha)
* Is otherwise considered inappropriate for the game world
It's what it says on the tin - total control over all custom content and arbitrary decisions on what they feel is appropriate or not. You can say it's just to cover their ass in court in case something funny happens but they're already banning maps as I said and as someone else already posted a topic about.

SC2 is the end of major custom content in Blizzard games.

This is all ignoring the fact that the editor makes map editing far more time consuming and irritating than WE ever did.

I just want a private realm (Shadowflare!) and a functional editor. Battle.net 2.0 and its bullshit can go fuck itself. It's a pity, because this is the best engine I've seen out of an RTS thus far. It's really open, albeit confusing. But everything on the outside menaces with spikes of giant cave spider carapace.
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

IskatuMesk wrote: This is all ignoring the fact that the editor makes map editing far more time consuming and irritating than WE ever did.
Correct. I think it's weird they set so many rules, but I have no intention of "violating" them, so that's not what's holding me back. It's just, I'm having a hard time understanding what I'm even looking at when I crack open the editor.

I've been browsing this sc2.curse.com website, but all I'm seeing is a bunch of remakes of SC1 missions and some brave attempts at original campaign maps. I've never tried anything noteworthy with the Warcraft editor, but I'm afraid I'll never learn this. This is mostly my problem, of course, but I can't be the only one. Everyone who's got some half-decent stories in their heads for a nice campaign isn't a programmer. Or whatever you have to be to GET this editor! :D

I think "time consuming" is right. Back at the turn of the millennium, we were kids with way too much time on our hands and the SC1 editor wasn't so hard. Like I said earlier, I'm not expecting a revival of those days.

I can't wait till the Big Names bring us the good stuff. Blizzard clearly didn't deliver the experience I was looking for... Maybe you will, [insert Oracle's, Desler's, Auspex's or a NEW name]...