Anyone beat Last Map on Brutal yet?

Whiplash!
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Anyone beat Last Map on Brutal yet?

Post by Whiplash! »

I've gone though all the missions on brutal but the last one. I am having a few issues with it and only got to around 80%. Is anyone else at this point?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
AA7Dragoon
Protoss Khalai Missionary

Re: Anyone beat Last Map on Brutal yet?

Post by AA7Dragoon »

I've played it on normal so far, what's the difference that is happening at 80%?  I know before there's an Overlord rush.  At about 80% I remember the Nydus worms come up a lot more frequently.  Is that's what happening?  What are you using for defense and picking off the Nydus worms with?

I had fully upgraded mass tanks over all the cliffs and bunkers.  The extra 40 damage and friendly fire reduction is essential.  As for Nydus worms, a small fleet of banshees did the trick.  Battlecruisers were too slow but nice to keep a small fleet with the defense matrix ability on hand when Kerrigan shows up to wipe out your tanks.

Oh, and I also kept a string of marines, marauders, and medics patrolling the inside of the base from bunkers left to bunkers right to clean up any Nydus worms that poked up from inside the base.  They mixed well with the tanks.
Last edited by AA7Dragoon on Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have seen the Desler.  I have tasted of his milk and honey.
Lwerewolf
Terran Refinery Attendant

Post by Lwerewolf »

Took out the air support - ground only takes out the nydus and the vikings are almost no good vs. Kerrigan. MASS tanks, bahshee/tank/battlecruiser heroes, somewhat mass infantry, about 9-10 banshees on worm hunting, all attack upgrades with the 5% atk speed per upgrade bonus(all atk upgrades to 3 - MUST), tanks upped with both upgrades. Generally about 3 bunkers per side and 10-12/even more tanks. Where you put the siege breakers ain't extremely important really. Also, 3 bunkers per side - had mine most of the time empty (with that turret above) - only time they went town was at the start till I got the tanks in place and when Kerrigan viisited, however they make for a nice distraction. Otherwise when she visits - 2-3 battlecruiser (your starting ones plus the hero one, no DM/missile swarm for me) yamato plus the banshee squadron plus 12345h4x3245325 tanks plus bunkers = lolowned. Actually not but that's why you save your nova for situations like this. Plus the 3 factories/2 rax w/ reactor ;) That's about it. Restarted once cause I got vikings by mistake (reached 90% like that), then got 2rax reactor/3fac tech/2 star tech and a second armory (both atk ups at the same time). Then just spam (don't forget mule/SCVs). And about the worms in your base - LOL. Either tanks blast them to hell the way I put them (bring the upper position a bit back to the choke - the other seems to be fine) or the banshees own them. The overlord invasion - rofl.
Well I think that's about it. A bit sleepy so sorry for spelling/rushed/w/e. GL :)
AA7Dragoon

Post by AA7Dragoon »

Oh, yeah, I forgot about the choice you have to make.  You wiped out the Zerg air, right?  I can only imagine Brood Lords making it hell for you otherwise.
Lwerewolf

Post by Lwerewolf »

They won't if you upped the vikings (splash + range = damage = insane). Problem is they do next to nothing versus ground and kerrigan :D
The Cobaininator
Terran Supply Depot Clerk
Terran Supply Depot Clerk

Post by The Cobaininator »

I beat it at brutal. I used a crap load of tanks on cliffs and behind bunkers with perdition turrets (the flamethrower things) in front of bunkers for melee zerg. Whenever there was an overlord rush, or a kerrigan attack, I used a combination of battlecruisers and the artifact.
Xelxiuz
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)

Post by Xelxiuz »

I can't believe no one chose to cheese it by permastunning Kerrigan with Thors/Fungal.
Ardis
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector

Post by Ardis »

I beat it on normal with little difficulty, got rid of Nydus worms because I didn't want them popping up in my base to get blasted by tanks and splash my own buildings or something since I couldn't afford to upgrade them. I filled six bunkers (three at each base) each with one firebat, four marines and a marauder (upgraded capacity bunkers), surrounded them in Perdition Turrets (flame throwers, Zerg research) and upgraded Missile Turrets, a few psi disruptors (Zerg research), three non-upgraded tanks (two normal and one siege breaker at each entrance) had a bunch of upgraded Goliaths* (normal and merc) and a few battlecruisers (including the merc battlecruiser) hovering around the artifact for anything that flew in from that direction and had one battlecruiser hovering over each entrance. I had upgraded Vikings and Hel's Angels (Merc Vikings) patrolling the sides of my base to deal with any Blood Lords that were trying to pelt my base from range and overlords trying to sneak stuff in and a bunch of merc infantry with a few medics patrolling through my base to get anything that was dropped by the few overlords that managed to sneak past my Vikings. Whenever Kerrigan showed up, I just got all my battlecruisers to Yamato Gun her the moment she was in range. And I was floating resources most of the time, so I'm sure I could have added to those defenses to use in harder modes.
I'm not unstable.
Unstable implies that I could BECOME more dangerous than I am now.
RazorclawX
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by RazorclawX »

Xelxiuz wrote: I can't believe no one chose to cheese it by permastunning Kerrigan with Thors/Fungal.
No one thought to make a bunch of Ghosts and Snipe her all at once with them, either.
-- Razorclaw X
Creator of Wanderers of Sorceria and Vision of the Future
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

I only beat it on normal and I decided to take out ground support for the earlier mission.

My main army? 10-14 Battlecruisers (had +100 energy start/max for casters) along with filled bunkers in the middle. I also did pick science vessels and had 5 of them to heal my battlecruisers. I bought the missile turret splash which are quite nice to kill muta waves.

Also for my base defense, I had like 14 bunkers (with the turret upgrade on them) on the bottom-left with 3 of them filled and then only 3 bunkers on top filled up.

When Kerrigan appeared, I used like 8+ Yamato shots on her. Usually she managed to use that spell to instant-kill a unit which I always did get a battlecruiser but it's kind of a small price to pay to get rid of her asap.

When the occasional blood lord popped, I usually Yamato'ed them with a single battlecruiser.
Xelxiuz

Post by Xelxiuz »

RazorclawX wrote:
Xelxiuz wrote: I can't believe no one chose to cheese it by permastunning Kerrigan with Thors/Fungal.
No one thought to make a bunch of Ghosts and Snipe her all at once with them, either.
Fungal is "free" with the towers (Perhaps going past 200 cap? Not sure) while Thors help better than Ghosts. Psionic Lash I believe also does better damage than Snipe and Spectres offer better coverage due to doing bonus damage to armored which is the only real resistance. Light is decimated by tanks/thors, and no one really wants to make vikings since they don't do jack against Kerrigan.

Actually I have no idea if you can spam snipe on Kerrigan in brutal, I thought it only does 45 damage (Does it do bonus to psionic? I forget) and she can clearly survive several yamatos. That said two thors per side stun locking with upgraded tanks which do 100+ per hit seem far more efficient and practical against waves also =/

Also they fixed the shift queue snipe so you can't stack up energy and machine gun snipe with ghosts now, there is a delay in case that was what you were referring to. Otherwise I would have done so T_T it was one of my more enjoyable moves. The worst part was though that I wasn't sure if you could cast with ghost/spectres while inside bunkers and I didn't have the macro to put anything more than the starting marauder/marines in bunkers T_T so I had to fill them up with spectres. seeing as their range seemed more effective.

And of course, I'm an idiot forgetting spectres can also permastun. Sigh.
Last edited by Xelxiuz on Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
AA7Dragoon

Post by AA7Dragoon »

I was able to beat the Air version on Hard, and I hated it.  Nydus worms are so much easier to deal with.  The moment they pop out inside your base, your tanks will kill them.  Mutas and Guardians everywhere were so annoying.
Xelxiuz

Post by Xelxiuz »

It was kinda obvious considering the hard counter to broodlords is vikings/wraiths which are significantly weaker or even useless against Kerrigan and ground units than say, banshees which basically act as your death squadron.
Xenon
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee

Post by Xenon »

Xelxiuz wrote: Fungal is "free" with the towers (Perhaps going past 200 cap? Not sure)
What? do you mean MC'ing Infestors with the Hive Mind building?
Xelxiuz

Post by Xelxiuz »

Xenon wrote:
Xelxiuz wrote: Fungal is "free" with the towers (Perhaps going past 200 cap? Not sure)
What? do you mean MC'ing Infestors with the Hive Mind building?
Yeah, though I don't think it ever worked on Leviathan but maybe that's cause he never got in range. I could never tell with that stupid building.