Starcraft II goes Gold!

Moderator: Milldawg

Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Re: Starcraft II goes Gold!

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

GreatGodSajuuk wrote: Correction. They can't stop private servers, it's a pointless effort.
They can't stop all private servers but ultimately they ensure to get the majority of their potential customers' money which for a game business would be one of the most important parts.

Anyway since a real debate on piracy-related matters risks to be unhealthy ... so guys, how's the campaign so far (obviously without spoiling the campaign itself)?
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

GreatGodSajuuk wrote: Correction. They can't stop private servers, it's a pointless effort.
Correction. They can't stop all private servers, so why not take down the big ones and call it a day.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Lavarinth wrote:
Correction. They can't stop all private servers, so why not take down the big ones and call it a day.
Iccup.

There'll be an iccup for sc2 inevitably so long as they keep hiding ladder placements from people and keep enforcing ridiculous map publishing limits.

Personally I'd run a private server JUST for mods. Because modding is dead in sc2 otherwise.
Xenon
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee

Post by Xenon »

Ricky_Honejasi wrote: some cracker will find the way around it.
I just had to laugh at that.
Frozty
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector

Post by Frozty »

I'm disappointed in you, Lavarinth... Where is the elaborate "SC2 is OUT!!" announcement on the home page of the site?? You getting lazy? Or just waiting for the right moment, like say last night at midnight?
[imgwh 500x100]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/FrozenTomato/Frozty21.jpg[/imgwh]
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Frozty wrote: I'm disappointed in you, Lavarinth... Where is the elaborate "SC2 is OUT!!" announcement on the home page of the site?? You getting lazy? Or just waiting for the right moment, like say last night at midnight?
If you only knew.
Last edited by Lavarinth on Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
- - Lavarinth
JimmyJames
Terran Missile Turret Rotary Tester
Terran Missile Turret Rotary Tester

Post by JimmyJames »

:(, I didn't have on the date delivery, so mine is coming a few days later.
"Welded to death, bad way to go."
-Not me
GreatGodSajuuk
Terran Battlecruiser Janitor

Post by GreatGodSajuuk »

Lavarinth wrote: Correction. They can't stop all private servers, so why not take down the big ones and call it a day.
If that was true then EuroBattleNet should have been killed a LONG LONG time ago.
[imgwh 621x144]http://i.imagehost.org/0709/TuningFail.png[/imgwh]
GreatGodSajuuk

Post by GreatGodSajuuk »

Figured someone might want to get a new icon for SC 2

http://3xhumed.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d2uy2gy
or
http://3xhumed.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d2uy2j7

3xhumed delivers
[imgwh 621x144]http://i.imagehost.org/0709/TuningFail.png[/imgwh]
Demoneater
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by Demoneater »

Uh? Am I the only one who isn't going to buy the game here?

What about the dudes who complained about blizzard here just shortly?

In my eyes, SC II is a total fail for me. Mostly cause of the blizzard politics. Activision Blizzard will really get the milk out of the cows...

- No LAN mode
- You have to be connected to the internet all the time, even during SP games (afaik). Not to mention what they might do with all the data they recieve through this way,
- IIRC increased game price. It might be just a few dollars now, but it is about the principle, if they sell games for an increased price very successful they will continue like this and other publishers will follow.
- You just get ONE race campaign. The others will be sold as addons for a quite high price I suppose. You are paying then for just a 1/3 of the campaign. Nice move, hm?
UntamedLoli
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy

Post by UntamedLoli »

Demoneater wrote: - No LAN mode
LAN I don't care about in itself although others do, my main issue is the existance of a minimum possible latency which has no reason to exist.

They need to stop catering to shit internet that won't be able to maintain a game regardless what they do.
Demoneater wrote:- You have to be connected to the internet all the time, even during SP games (afaik). Not to mention what they might do with all the data they recieve through this way,
Every time you start something connect to battle.net Warden is running in the background doing whatever they could want it to do, fact is all it does is detect hacks so don't even start with the tinfoil hat.

Being online while playing the campaign is optional and only for achievements/unlockables used on Battle.net.
Demoneater wrote:- IIRC increased game price. It might be just a few dollars now, but it is about the principle, if they sell games for an increased price very successful they will continue like this and other publishers will follow.
Blizzard games have been selling at that price all this time.
Demoneater wrote:- You just get ONE race campaign. The others will be sold as addons for a quite high price I suppose. You are paying then for just a 1/3 of the campaign. Nice move, hm?
We also get everything else that entails an expansion including new editor features/functionality and new units for MP.

As much as Blizzard might have screwed up the game and any plans I had with the minimum latency they have it working alot better than any of the competition does out there.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

- You just get ONE race campaign. The others will be sold as addons for a quite high price I suppose. You are paying then for just a 1/3 of the campaign. Nice move, hm?
You tards aren't STILL complaining about this, are you?
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Demoneater wrote: Uh? Am I the only one who isn't going to buy the game here?

In my eyes, SC II is a total fail for me. Mostly cause of the blizzard politics. Activision Blizzard will really get the milk out of the cows...

- No LAN mode
- You have to be connected to the internet all the time, even during SP games (afaik). Not to mention what they might do with all the data they recieve through this way,
- IIRC increased game price. It might be just a few dollars now, but it is about the principle, if they sell games for an increased price very successful they will continue like this and other publishers will follow.

LAN: Get over it. LAN was something useful when we all had dialup. Almost any household is connected to the internet now, obviously you are, so lack of LAN is no issue. If you take a look all around, you'll notice LAN overall is disappearing. Don't point your finger at one company only.

Connection: No, you don't. Turn off your connection. Surprise, you can play. What can you play? Singleplayer. Because it's singleplayer. If you're connected to the internet you might as well be connected to multiplayer. Why be connected during singleplayer? Achievement spamming. Xbox and PS3 do this, and the Wii are all connected online at all times. What reason is there not to be connected at all times. Who cares what they do with the data? Splinter Cell collected data of all maps and strategies used, and presented it in a press release. Did people out them for collecting anonymous data? No, because that's a ridiculous argument.

Game Price: It's 2010. Get with the times, get a job. 60 dollars is not overpriced. Buy any other game just released and you'll find yourself saying "all of these games are overpriced!" But take a look at the bigger picture, oh wait, that's just standard pricing now. And.. Shocker! It's cheaper than the mid-90's, and that's not even including inflation. Games ranged between 50 to 80 dollars in the mid 90's when minimum wage was much less than it is now, if you look at the market overtime you'll find PC games (and only PC games) have decreased in price over time. Get your facts straight.

One race: Get over this the most. The campaign is extremely fleshed out and so far it's taken me longer to play than StarCraft and Brood War combined. There's a reason for that- It is longer. There's a plethora of other features available aside just a campaign for singleplayer. Maybe if you owned it and played it you'd quit bickering about it.
- - Lavarinth
WB
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by WB »

Lavarinth wrote:
Demoneater wrote: Uh? Am I the only one who isn't going to buy the game here?

- No LAN mode

LAN: Get over it. LAN was something useful when we all had dialup. Almost any household is connected to the internet now, obviously you are, so lack of LAN is no issue. If you take a look all around, you'll notice LAN overall is disappearing. Don't point your finger at one company only.

Connection: No, you don't. Turn off your connection. Surprise, you can play. What can you play? Singleplayer. Because it's singleplayer. If you're connected to the internet you might as well be connected to multiplayer. Why be connected during singleplayer? Achievement spamming. Xbox and PS3 do this, and the Wii are all connected online at all times. What reason is there not to be connected at all times. Who cares what they do with the data? Splinter Cell collected data of all maps and strategies used, and presented it in a press release. Did people out them for collecting anonymous data? No, because that's a ridiculous argument.

Game Price: It's 2010. Get with the times, get a job. 60 dollars is not overpriced. Buy any other game just released and you'll find yourself saying "all of these games are overpriced!" But take a look at the bigger picture, oh wait, that's just standard pricing now. And.. Shocker! It's cheaper than the mid-90's, and that's not even including inflation. Games ranged between 50 to 80 dollars in the mid 90's when minimum wage was much less than it is now, if you look at the market overtime you'll find PC games (and only PC games) have decreased in price over time. Get your facts straight.

One race: Get over this the most. The campaign is extremely fleshed out and so far it's taken me longer to play than StarCraft and Brood War combined. There's a reason for that- It is longer. There's a plethora of other features available aside just a campaign for singleplayer. Maybe if you owned it and played it you'd quit bickering about it.
this

<3 Lav.
Now with 50% more lol, 50% more win, and 100% phlail.
www.sc2campaigns.net - Coming Soon!!
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

so lack of LAN is no issue.
Um, no LAN means there will be zero mods in sc2, as well as always being forced into enforced latency, which is total bullshit. Yes, it's a big issue. But the only worthwhile thing in his entire post.