Ghosts of the Past Trailer

Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Re: Ghosts of the Past Trailer

Post by Legion »

Hunter_Killers wrote:
cgi movies and "artwork" but no actual game?
Its also not CGI, that is the game whether you like it or not which is in-game besides the few actual CGI sections.

I could say "The game like over half that trailer is?" and it would be the same thing.

At least get your terms right if you want to QQ about something, you are looking for gameplay which is ALL OVER THE INTERNET and they know it too.

You willingly put yourself under a rock and then come here to complain you haven't seen anything.

*facedesk*

What next? they haven't shown enough pictures of the game box/CD/DVD or it sitting homely in a department store shelf?
gah!

what i am saying is we have seen ENOUGH of it by now. i never said i haven't seen ANYTHING. i'm saying we've seen too much.

let me say it AGAIN:

they've shown us movies but they haven't shown us the game, the disc itself.

i don't want gameplay footage. i'm sick of seeing crappy gameplay footage and 3d zergs and kerrigans and zeratuls. we've been seeing those things for years.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

I've seen the disc.

Guy posted a photo of the box and contents on TL.
WB
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by WB »

Xelxiuz wrote: Yes Mantis. GOOD TIMES LIKE WC3, except HE'S THE ONE CARRYING US NOW BAHAHAHAHA.
That put time in perspective and blew my mind. Wow, its been a long time.
Now with 50% more lol, 50% more win, and 100% phlail.
www.sc2campaigns.net - Coming Soon!!
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Not that long. :\
thebrowncloud
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist

Post by thebrowncloud »

I still have no idea what you're talking about, Legion. You want disc art? That would be an even shittier trailer than the "Key to the end of all things" garbage.

As for the overmind thing, I don't think it is coming back. There seems to be a theme of flashbacks in WoL. I think the portrait is going to be for the purpose of showing flashback sequences, such as back to when Raynor and Tassadar fought the Overmind. I, for one, would actually be very disappointed if they made yet ANOTHER Overmind. We don't even know if the second Overmind is the same being as the first.

@Thal: The only known cerebrate that is likely still alive is Kaloth, the one who resurrected Stukov. But, then again, we don't have a confirmed kill on any cerebrate except Zasz. We do know, however, that the second Overmind was created from the merging of several cerebrates, which Daggoth was involved with and may have even been in the mix. It is safe to say that not EVERY cerebrate is dead, but I'd assume most are. And you could say that Duran pretty much fits that description you provided of the Overmind in human form. The Overmind's goal was to invade Aiur and assimilate the protoss into the Swarm, which he failed in the latter aspect. Duran, however, did not. And both of them are thousands of years old. Duran is basically the new Overmind, but he dropped his zerg for a far superior army.
Xelxiuz wrote:
Wait... wasn't he the guy who got shot? Do people not fucking die in Blizzard writing or something?
N64 one upped you this time Mesk. That and it was another case of terrible time lining.
Why do you say that?
Xelxiuz wrote:
Artanis died? wtf When did he die?
When they commited genocide on ducks and replaced him with some templar fodder. Can't you tell the massive difference in portrait structure? The guy's face isn't even the same, and unlike Zeratul he didn't hide in the shadows so he doesn't have any excuses.
You said the same thing about Kerrigan. You know who else doesn't look the same? Jim Raynor. And who else? Zeratul. And Tassadar. And Infested Kerrigan. And Mengsk. And the Overmind. Hell, Duran probably looks completely different from his portrait back in the 90s. Times are changing and you can't expect things to look the same. Especially when you are taking a 2D game and making a 3D sequel. The universe is far more defined than it was back then and they have things sorted out now the way they want them to. And he actually does look a decent amount like how he is portrayed in the graphic novel he appears in.
Last edited by thebrowncloud on Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will."
-George Bernard Shaw
Xelxiuz
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)

Post by Xelxiuz »

IskatuMesk wrote: Not that long. :\
When did ROC come out again?
I still have no idea what you're talking about, Legion.
Maybe my reading comprehension is failing me but isn't he pointing at the release date? As in the disk being in stores/retail/delivered?
Why do you say that?
How old do you think that Dragoon was before they had to completely rebuild the timeline? How old is he now? How does that affect what he says?
You said the same thing about Kerrigan. You know who else doesn't look the same? Jim Raynor. And who else? Zeratul. And Tassadar. And Infested Kerrigan. And Mengsk. And the Overmind. Hell, Duran probably looks completely different from his portrait back in the 90s. Times are changing and you can't expect things to look the same. Especially when you are taking a 2D game and making a 3D sequel. The universe is far more defined than it was back then and they have things sorted out now the way they want them to. And he actually does look a decent amount like how he is portrayed in the graphic novel he appears in.
Uh no? Seeing as how I just mentioned the N64 have you even played a Nintendo game? I do not see no fucking massive change with Mario, Link, the snow siblings, KIRBY aside from that EPIC YARN which DESERVES IT, and all that other shit? The point is that the portraits in SC1 were artistically good enough to carry on forward unlike say some 8/16/32 bit character that turned 3D like how some dragon made of pixels turned into Trogdor and then turned into the Archdemon. It doesn't WORK that way.

Shit that undergoes a big revamp generally comes from the fact that it's artistic value was low and the players/consumer base never grew attached enough. Look at something like AOE for example. No one gives a flying fuck about how each unit's face is because I don't even remember there being portraits in the early AOE games to begin with. If they 3D it and radically change the damn units in artistic looks no one is gonna give a damn as long as they are still visually representing those units because they were not characters, they were fodder.

Portraits are among the easiest of methods to create an identifiable character because let's face it, HUMANITY usually communicates in person with others by the direction pointing to another's FACE. Sex jokes and maybe some cultures that demand the one in inferior position look down in shame or piss their pants aside this is pretty much a universal rule and therefore you cannot apply your non sense to a situation like say 8-bit theatre where no one knew what the fuck was underneath Black Mages cap. It could be AA7 for all we know being a closet heterosexual but that's not the case here.
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

thebrowncloud wrote: I still have no idea what you're talking about, Legion. You want disc art? That would be an even shittier trailer than the "Key to the end of all things" garbage.
disc art? no. what's so hard to understand about the word 'game'? when i say game, i mean that thing we'll all be getting next week.

what i said in my original post is that blizzard has been feeding us crap since the day they announced sc2 and some people keep acting impressed. starcraft 2 has had so many trailers and previews that the actual game leaves little to be discovered
Thalraxal
Protoss Stargate Concierge
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Post by Thalraxal »

Master Jademus Sreg wrote:
Thalraxal wrote: I also want to believe that the original Overmind created a human body for itself, imbuned with powerful psionic abilities, and that it went into hiding, with plans to continue its Grand Experiment, after its apparant demise at the hands of Tassadar.
Oh my god! The Overmind is Jesus!
The Overmind died for the sins of all Zerg-kind :(
omega20 wrote:
Thalraxal wrote: AA7, you make a very good point about Kerrigan being the one to off Mengsk, and I do agree: she should have dibs on it.  But just killing him doesn't really seem to be her style.  She'd much rather leave him sitting in the ashes of his ruined empire.  Which is why I think someone else will do the deed. 
Hmm I don't entirely agree with your statement above. Kerrigan ALREADY left Mengsk sitting in the ashes of his ruined empire back in BW. It wouldn't make any sense to come back again after four years of relative quiet and repeat it again a second time, risking to have him again rebuilding his Dominion and posing a threat for her and her Swarm. No, this time she's coming after him. In my opinion, she would try to have his empire destroyed piece by piece first, trying to destroy all what Mengsk loves the most: his power. Once there's nothing left of it she will finish him off. That's what I think she will try to do (that's what I'd do if I was her, indeed). :P

About the Overmind, I think it would be interesting to have him back. I mean, a Cerebrate managed to reanimate the corpse of Stukov, and he was a merely human. Why would not the Overmind, a millenary creature supposed to be eternal and who embodied the whole of the Swarm be able to resurrect somehow? Also, it would be far more fun than having a third new mindless Overmind, which would be rather repetitive and boring.
Does Kerrigan really consider Mengsk and the Dominion a threat to her and the Swarm?  I'm not sure.  But I think she'd much rather give Mengsk a chance to rebuild, then come over and smash his little castles.  Give him that sense of "everything you build, I'll destroy".  I think she'd like to draw out his suffering for as long as possible.

On one hand, I find it hard to imagine that the Overmind never imagined that it could die, especially after the death of Zasz.  It had to know that if the Protoss could kill one of his Cerebrates, they could kill him.  On the other hand, it did consider itself to be The Eternal Will of the Swarm.  But there is proof it considered the possibility: it gave Cerebrates the ability to merge into a new Overmind.  If it believed itself truely immortal, why would it grant the Cerebrates the ability to do something that would be so unnecessary?
thebrowncloud wrote:As for the overmind thing, I don't think it is coming back. There seems to be a theme of flashbacks in WoL. I think the portrait is going to be for the purpose of showing flashback sequences, such as back to when Raynor and Tassadar fought the Overmind. I, for one, would actually be very disappointed if they made yet ANOTHER Overmind. We don't even know if the second Overmind is the same being as the first.

@Thal: The only known cerebrate that is likely still alive is Kaloth, the one who resurrected Stukov. But, then again, we don't have a confirmed kill on any cerebrate except Zasz. We do know, however, that the second Overmind was created from the merging of several cerebrates, which Daggoth was involved with and may have even been in the mix. It is safe to say that not EVERY cerebrate is dead, but I'd assume most are.
I've always had the impression that the Second Overmind was a brand new entity.  But considering that it had no lines, and we never heard from any of the Cerebrates on that side of the Brood War, we'll never know.  I don't think we'll see the return of the Overmind in Giant Brain Form any time soon.  With the Hybrids, the return of the Xel'naga, Raynor's rebellion, artifacts that are THE KEY TO THE END OF ALL THINGS, and Kerrigan, I think Blizzard has enough plot points to cover for the time being.  Which is why I like the Duran is the Overmind theory so much, it's the easiest way to smoothy integrated him back into the story without upsetting the balance.

As for the Cerebrates:  Word of God has it that they are all dead: they couldn't survive without the Overmind.  Metzen said it in an interview a while back.  :(

I don't have a link to the interview, but I do have a copy of Metzen's quote handy:
Chris Metzen wrote:“Daggoth is dead, along with the rest of the cerebrates. Kerrigan is the sole power behind the Swarm now. It’s possible that Daggoth could not sustain himself without the Overmind and other cerebrates to power him. We’ve suggested before that the Overmind and its cerebrates were symbiotically linked. The cerebrates were not designed to exist without their creator. That’s a partial reason behind the cerebrates’ merging into a new, singular Overmind during the early events of Brood War.”
Alas, poor Daggoth.  I knew thee well. :(
thebrowncloud wrote:And you could say that Duran pretty much fits that description you provided of the Overmind in human form. The Overmind's goal was to invade Aiur and assimilate the protoss into the Swarm, which he failed in the latter aspect. Duran, however, did not. And both of them are thousands of years old. Duran is basically the new Overmind, but he dropped his zerg for a far superior army.
That's exactly what I was hinting at.  Proud supporter of the Duran is The Overmind theory since 2002.  :D
Xelxiuz

Post by Xelxiuz »

That's exactly what I was hinting at.  Proud supporter of the Duran is The Overmind theory since 2002.
If that becomes true, there's going to be a bajillion topics over the Overmind's choice of picking the genetically superior/inferior race of human over say, the other 99.99% majority of SC Terran units. Hell might as well say THAT'S WHERE THE SCV went.
WB
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by WB »

Work has kept me busy and I do not have much sleep. Time is...strange right now >_>

Hopefully I'll be free to play with ya'll when the game launches. :)
Xenon
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee

Post by Xenon »

I'm of the impression that the core will of the Overmind is a constant of nature that has the potential to manifest in any consciousness (including collective ones), and therefore can never be permanently destroyed (without permanently annihilating any chance for life to exist anywhere in the multiverse, anyway). Many have come before it, many will come after it, and many are concurrent.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

WB wrote:
Work has kept me busy and I do not have much sleep. Time is...strange right now >_>
What, you think someone like me has a standard sense of time?
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

Xenon wrote: I'm of the impression that the core will of the Overmind is a constant of nature that has the potential to manifest in any consciousness (including collective ones), and therefore can never be permanently destroyed (without permanently annihilating any chance for life to exist anywhere in the multiverse, anyway). Many have come before it, many will come after it, and many are concurrent.
That actually makes sense... I believe that too!
tipereth

Post by tipereth »

Starcraft does not have an intricate plot with subtext and deeper meanings. Seriously.
WB
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by WB »

Theyve updated the site with a lot of information.