Predictions

How long do you think Starcraft 2 will last?

At least a decade
33%
Five to ten years
38%
Two years
19%
Forever
10%

Total votes: 21

Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Predictions

Post by Legion »

The advent of Starcraft 2 is close at hand now, but everyone agrees that its been a long time coming. Its reputation precedes it, but then again, nobody can really be entirely sure what to expect and if it's going to be as great as they want you to believe it is.

Its predecessor, Starcraft 1, has lasted well over a decade and it's still not dead.

Make a prediction based on what you've seen/heard/read about Starcraft 2:

How long do you think this game (the total of 3 episodes) will last?

Feel free to explain.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: Predictions

Post by IskatuMesk »

I think it will be like wc3. Sc2 has a much stronger backing for professional gaming but it feels very forced. Unless the two expansions/patches dramatically increase the depth of the game I'm sure people will just switch over to custom maps like they did with wc3.

There hasn't been a "good" RTS since wc3, so there's no doubt it will live at least as long as wc3 has.
Falchion
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist
Location: Bragança Paulista, Brazil (Da most borin' place in the world)

Post by Falchion »

Agreed.  Mark this, as soon as Diablo 3 comes out, SC II will be dropped out.
How I became a troll in a single post (And you can too!!! :D ): link

chorale
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by chorale »

Falchion wrote: Agreed.  Mark this, as soon as Diablo 3 comes out, SC II will be dropped out.
Same was Said about SC and D2.
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

chorale wrote:
Falchion wrote: Agreed.  Mark this, as soon as Diablo 3 comes out, SC II will be dropped out.
Same was Said about SC and D2.
different fanbase. i don't think d3 will have much of an impact on sc2's life expectancy.

i think sc2 will last at least as long as wc3, as mesk said, although i do not think it'll surpass sc1. back when sc1 came, we hadn't seen or heard anything like it. this time we have.
dreamerhorwitz
Terran SCV Lube Technician

Post by dreamerhorwitz »

Every fan-base has people who will stick with their favorite franchise no matter what (yes, I'm talking about the rabid ones). And since the game has open-ended choices that effect the game morally, the trilogy is going to last a long while.
The evil swears are no match for a greater vocab!
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

dreamerhorwitz wrote: Every fan-base has people who will stick with their favorite franchise no matter what (yes, I'm talking about the rabid ones). And since the game has open-ended choices that effect the game morally, the trilogy is going to last a long while.
morally?
dreamerhorwitz

Post by dreamerhorwitz »

Legion wrote:
dreamerhorwitz wrote: Every fan-base has people who will stick with their favorite franchise no matter what (yes, I'm talking about the rabid ones). And since the game has open-ended choices that effect the game morally, the trilogy is going to last a long while.
morally?
Talking to certain characters will have you do missions that are either good, bad, or neutral.
The evil swears are no match for a greater vocab!
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

dreamerhorwitz wrote:
Legion wrote:
morally?
Talking to certain characters will have you do missions that are either good, bad, or neutral.
i see. yeah, that's right. but then again, the options are limited. it's like all those other games with reputation and whatnot. eventually, it doesn't matter.