Ghosts of the Past Trailer

Thalraxal
Protoss Stargate Concierge
Protoss Stargate Concierge

Re: Ghosts of the Past Trailer

Post by Thalraxal »

I'm still sticking with my earlier plot predictions: Valarian convinces Raynor to help him find the Xel'Naga Artifacts with the promises of using them to help create a kinder, gentler Terran Dominion (although this trailer hints that he might throw restoring Kerrigan into the deal too.  Mysterious alien artifacts, is there anything they can't do?).  I'm still betting that Valarian will off Mengsk himself, Arthas-style, near the end of the campaign.  At which point the Hybrids themselves will show up showing up and everything goes to hell.  There's no way they can't have the Hybrids not show up in Wings of Liberty
IskatuMesk wrote: Well, Earth would be immensely powerful by now, far more than the Dominion (barring any massive apocalyptic sunbursts or something). I can see them jumping in again if they wanted to; and losing a fleet would be good grounds for retribution (to keep the powers in the sector from ever threatening them?) I dunno, I'd think they would do something in sc2.
More advanced technology, and an intact industrial base (unlike the Terrans, who's most advanced world is overrun by Zerg (Tarsonis) and the Protoss who lost their highly centralized homeworld (Auir)).  The only thing the Dominion has going for it compared to the UED is that they likely have more developed psychic powers compared to Earth-Humans, thanks to the UPL's purges.  Really, I think that Earth and the UED could probably crush any of the other factions if they weren't so far away from the action at this point in time.

The only thing really stopping them from getting involved would be the distance, and their own willingness to get involved in that whole mess.  Although it can't take too long for them to get from Earth to the Korprulu Sector, seeing how quickly they were able to get a fleet together and send it over there after the Zerg and Protoss showed themselves.  I'd be willing to bet that we're going to see the UED invasion retconned into "DuGaulle's fleet was already on their way to conquer the Korprulu Terrans, saw what was going on with the Protoss and Zerg and decided to make enslaving the Zerg a secondary objective".
thebrowncloud wrote: I don't see the UED coming back in as much of a force as they were during the Brood War, especially since the Overmind is dead, as AA7 mentioned. They lost their only potential advantage and no psi disruptor certainly messes things up a great deal as well. I do, however, see a rallying of some of the remaining UED forces under the banner of newly resurrected Vice Admiral Stukov. I don't know what they would do, but my only guesses are that they would form a band similar to Raynor's Raiders or they would attempt to rebuild just enough to make it home. If they do get back to Earth, THEN I could see the UED potentially returning. Stukov, after all, was able to disassemble and reassemble the psi disruptor, so he has knowledge of at how it works, to a degree. And if they could outfit ships with that technology, they could do a great deal.
There's plenty of reason for them to get involved: They have a missing fleet, they'd still like to have control over the Korprulu Sectror Terrans, and there's the only two alien species they've ever encountered over there.  One of which is quite hostile to you thanks to the whole "trying to enslave your hivemind" thing.  The only real question is: would them getting involved serve any purpose in the story?  To which, the answer is likely no.
Last edited by Thalraxal on Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mAc Chaos
Zerg Zergling Groomer
Zerg Zergling Groomer

Post by mAc Chaos »

lool Stukov got killed, then infested, then UN-infested.

I read some of the SC books... I don't think Valarian would kill his father.  But who knows.  He has a bit of a more humane side than his Dad, but he's still manipulative (he prefers to be more subtle though) and only wants what he wants in the end.
http://sanctuary-inc.net/
AA7Dragoon
Protoss Khalai Missionary

Post by AA7Dragoon »

I disagree, Thalraxal.  Kerrigan will be the one who kills Mengsk in the end.  As an English major in the field of literature studies, poetic justice demands the death of Mengsk by Kerrigan's hands for being responsible for creating her into the monstrosity she is today.  Valerian will merely serve as a successor to a much more pacified Dominion.  Once Mengsk is dead, there will need to be a common government for the Terran race.  Raynor is not the character type who is going to be a President or Emperor of the Terran people.  Valerian will fit that political role in the StarCraft universe nicely just as Artanis has for the Protoss.  With these young rulers (newer generation) taking over command of the races, I am curious to see what happens to Kerrigan for the Zerg race.  She is still too much of a "human" and protagonist to maintain her role as the Queen of all Zerg.  I wouldn't be surprised if a new Overmind or series of cerebrates succeeds her.  Expect something dramatic to happen with the final showdown with the Xel'Naga.

I do agree with Thalraxal that perhaps we will see the Hybrids first before the actual Xel'Naga.  The Zerg campaign may introduce a sub-race of Hybrids to serve as a proxy for the Xel-Nega in causing mischief to Kerrigan's objectives.  You are also correct to believe the Hybrids may show up in the Terran campaign because battle.net has already released the avatar portraits to several Hybrid units.

I must admit, I am very excited to buy StarCraft 2 for simply the single player campaign.  Ten years!  I have wanted to see how this story continues!
I have seen the Desler.  I have tasted of his milk and honey.
AA7Dragoon

Post by AA7Dragoon »

Mesk: I agree about Stukov.  Blizzard, along with many other story-telling companies, has a hard time of letting characters go.  Fans tend to attach themselves to characters and have a hard time of accepting permanent deaths.  Stukov should have died, but I believe the wish for him to still live was greater.  At least Duke and Fenix's deaths were permanent.

Battle.net also released a psi-version of Tassadar's avatar.  I also believe they may be ressurecting his character as a sort of "Obi-Wan" ghost to provide guidance and support for our protagonists.  It's easy to justify it in the lore.  Just make up some "Psi"-alter planar existence.  Everyone loves Tassadar, so it would be easy to bring him back to satisfy another craving for, "En Taro Adun, Executor" in that deep, rich voice we all know Tassadar as.

At least we can expect that DuGalle, Razasgal, Fenix, Duke, and Aldaris are officially dead.  We can expect that Arcturus Mengsk, and possibly Zeratul will not survive these next three campaigns.  I also believe they might kill some new characters from Raynor's campaign in the Zerg and Protoss campaigns (as long as it's not Matt Horner).  

My question to everyone is this: Do you believe Kerrigan will survive these next three campaigns?  I have a hard time accepting she will be the permanent leader to the Zerg race.  She is still too human and a protagonist to a race that desires to assimilate all living creatures.  I believe she will either die or be replaced by some kind of Overmind/Cerebrate.  She has to reconcile with Raynor and Zeratul somehow.  Otherwise, they'll be driven to kill her by virtue of poetic justice.
Last edited by AA7Dragoon on Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Artanis died? wtf When did he die?
AA7Dragoon

Post by AA7Dragoon »

Oops I meant Aldaris.  Sorry.
mAc Chaos
Zerg Zergling Groomer
Zerg Zergling Groomer

Post by mAc Chaos »

I don't see how there could be a peaceful ending to StarCraft with the Zerg still around at all.  If they get an Overmind then you're basically set up for StarCraft 3.
http://sanctuary-inc.net/
thebrowncloud
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist

Post by thebrowncloud »

AA7Dragoon wrote: Battle.net also released a psi-version of Tassadar's avatar.  I also believe they may be ressurecting his character as a sort of "Obi-Wan" ghost to provide guidance and support for our protagonists.  It's easy to justify it in the lore.  Just make up some "Psi"-alter planar existence.  Everyone loves Tassadar, so it would be easy to bring him back to satisfy another craving for, "En Taro Adun, Executor" in that deep, rich voice we all know Tassadar as.
Tassadar's presence in SC2 is actually different from Obi Wan. He doesn't come back to guide anybody. His memories are being accessed through preservers and the templar archives. Whenever a Khala-following protoss dies (i.e. not a dark templar) then his or her memories are added to the Khala, serving as permanent records of every experience they have ever had. The only way to access these memories is through a templar archives or to have a preserver, special Khala-following protoss who are basically living templar archives, share the stories through the eyes of the subject.
AA7Dragoon wrote: My question to everyone is this: Do you believe Kerrigan will survive these next three campaigns?  I have a hard time accepting she will be the permanent leader to the Zerg race.  She is still too human and a protagonist to a race that desires to assimilate all living creatures.  I believe she will either die or be replaced by some kind of Overmind/Cerebrate.  She has to reconcile with Raynor and Zeratul somehow.  Otherwise, they'll be driven to kill her by virtue of poetic justice.
I personally think she will be dead by the end of Legacy of the Void. Zeratul seems convinced that she has an important role in finishing off the hybrids, just like she did in starting it. Z even said that, though she deserves to die for her crimes, she is essential to saving everyone, so she isn't going to be killed by any of our familiar heroes. But, chances are, her role is so great that she's going to have to sacrifice herself to fulfill it, but not in the same sense that Tassadar did.

And, on the xel'naga hybrid note, AA7:
Spoiler
The xel'naga aren't returning in the sense you think they are. The hybrids ARE the xel'naga.
"Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will."
-George Bernard Shaw
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

okay let me put this out here.

am i the only one getting sick of this tsunami of cgi movies and "artwork" but no actual game? i'm tired of belting out things like "wowz! looks at those graphics!!! they're like REAL ZERGS!!"

we've been brown-nosing blizzard's art guys for over a decade, come on! a polished up processed over-the-top cinematic with overly dramatic background music does nothing for me.

sneak previews and trailers i can understand, but this game has been trailered and previewed to death and we can only hope the game is able to live up to that.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

AA7Dragoon wrote: Oops I meant Aldaris.  Sorry.
SUDDENLY IT MAKES SENSE AND EQUILIBRIUM IS RESTORED TO THE WOR-
But, chances are, her role is so great that she's going to have to sacrifice herself to fulfill it
fuck
Master Jademus Sreg
Terran Battlecruiser Janitor
Terran Battlecruiser Janitor

Post by Master Jademus Sreg »

There was at least one asset that indicated a new Overmind may appear at some point; I think it was an icon texture with the word "overmind" in the name.
No more humans, please.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

He has a full blown portrait. It may just be for battle.net rewards though (like the night elf and such).
Maglok
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Maglok »

@Mesk earlier
ZOMG
zOMG is a varient of the all-too-popular acronym "OMG", meaning "Oh My God". The "z" was originally a mistake while attempting to hit the shift key with the left hand, and type "OMG" Also used in all-caps, 'ZOMG' is generally used in a sarcastic manner, more often than not a humiliating fasion. It is also used as a device for stating the obvious.
"zOMG! you r teh winz!!one!!eleven!"
I am thus 'stating the obvious' in that it was a total kick ass trailer.
- Maglok
Audio engineer and writer
SC2 campaign dev ranting: The Bunker blog
UntamedLoli
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy

Post by UntamedLoli »

Legion wrote: okay let me put this out here.

am i the only one getting sick of this tsunami of cgi movies and "artwork" but no actual game? i'm tired of belting out things like "wowz! looks at those graphics!!! they're like REAL ZERGS!!"

we've been brown-nosing blizzard's art guys for over a decade, come on! a polished up processed over-the-top cinematic with overly dramatic background music does nothing for me.

sneak previews and trailers i can understand, but this game has been trailered and previewed to death and we can only hope the game is able to live up to that.
In-game like over half that trailer is?
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Maglok wrote: @Mesk earlier
ZOMG
zOMG is a varient of the all-too-popular acronym "OMG", meaning "Oh My God". The "z" was originally a mistake while attempting to hit the shift key with the left hand, and type "OMG" Also used in all-caps, 'ZOMG' is generally used in a sarcastic manner, more often than not a humiliating fasion. It is also used as a device for stating the obvious.
"zOMG! you r teh winz!!one!!eleven!"
I am thus 'stating the obvious' in that it was a total kick ass trailer.
I see. Now I have a technical definition to call upon. Excellent!