About the future of a SC2 event

Frizby
Terran Academy Dropout (Stim Pack scandal)
Terran Academy Dropout (Stim Pack scandal)

Re: About the future of a SC2 event

Post by Frizby »

From the store.

zest.co.th
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

By the way, to prevent misunderstandings :

1) The SS event will STILL have their current schedule (as in Sundays 7 pm) including up to July 25th regardless of the outcome of this discussion.

2) If the upcoming changes stays on track, it would mean that the first SC2 event would be on July 31th (Saturdays) and the modified SS schedule would be on August 1st and onwards.
Xelxiuz
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)

Post by Xelxiuz »

Master Jademus Sreg wrote: The original Defense of the Ancients was impressive at a time when custom objects through slk editing was the very pinnacle of modding, but that doesn't mean it was a good map.
Have you compared Rival Nations and friends to DOTA? The original DOTA still had a superior terrain set up along with far more unique spells/abilities at the time and kept the distance from closing.

The problem with looking at a map through a map makers perspective is that you stop seeing a map for what it was intended to be, a game; and therefore only look at things that are based off of creation. While Eul's version may not have been very balanced nor amazing compared to today's, I don't even think TGS/Rival Nations/etc with the exception of Keys of Sealing had something like the secret water fall that early in ROC. And Keys was TFT I believe.
Considering how badly many players abused exploits/loopholes in custom wc3 maps, and how terrible wc3 maps/sc2 maps are in general, if I ever did show up it would be strictly for melee and melee only.
You just have to yell at Mucky/Cheesechild/Negi in vent a lot and everything should be fine.
UntamedLoli
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy
Protoss Zealot Practice Dummy

Post by UntamedLoli »

Cheese/Negi I rarely saw at SS and Mucky usually wasn't doing anything like that, its the other people that don't even bother with vent in the first place turning it from a game into an entirely 1 sided boring match.
Master Jademus Sreg
Terran Battlecruiser Janitor

Post by Master Jademus Sreg »

Xelxiuz wrote:Have you compared Rival Nations and friends to DOTA?
I cannot make that comparison, since I've never played Rival Nations. Schedule it for the next SS. =)

I see your point and can admit a bias in that I judge maps on their technical components first, and gameplay second. But it is the technical components of a map that I find most interesting, so naturally it is that toward which I am most critical or with which I am most impressed.
No more humans, please.
Xelxiuz

Post by Xelxiuz »

That's your right as a mapmaker, but keep in mind that unless your purpose in creating maps is to amaze yourself over how well you plugged in objects and triggers, it ultimately comes back down to you know, making a game people will want to play.

And that is why a gamer's perspective is still more important than a map designers. And is pretty much what made Blizzard famous to begin with no? GAME PLAY...THAT'S FUN?

That's one of the biggest hurdles between an amateur and a professional.
Xenon
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee
Zerg Queen's Nest Slave Trainee

Post by Xenon »

I noticed that Aiursrage2k was mostly interested in maps that made use of fancy trigger effects, like his experimental top-down shooter, MaD Balls Arena, and my own experimental battleships map. When he showed up at SS, that is.
Master Jademus Sreg

Post by Master Jademus Sreg »

You're right, of course, and in my experience, I focus on the quality of the gameplay when playing games where I find it very impractical to mod. When I develop, the design for the gameplay comes first, and I build everything around that. But when I play other people's maps, I focus mostly on the technical aspects while usually finding the gameplay of the map unappealing. Clearly, I would benefit from an adjustment to my perspective, and I do that by playing.

(Side note: When I mention technical components, I don't mean flashy shit, but rather whatever they were intended to do, they do well; in practice, this means good design, proper balance, and efficient scripting. A failure of these technical components will result in a failure of gameplay.)
No more humans, please.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

I treat maps exactly the same as I treat mods and games themselves. If a map focuses on only one thing it will fail to bring out a sustainable level of interest.
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

So since pretty much nobody else told more their times/interests about the future SC2 for quite a while, the times will be finalized as the last compromise I said.

On top of it, we will need a name for that upcoming event (which starts on Saturday, July 31th).

You are strongly suggested to post your non-beta player ID in this thread made by WB so you can party up to at least party chat while there is still no b.net 2.0 channels yet (as far as I know).

The new event times from now will be :
SC2 Event :
Saturdays 9 pm GM -5:00 until probably 1 am to 3 am

SS Event :
Sundays 11 pm GM -5:00 until 1 am or 2 am
Remainder - SS will now be mostly just to play TGS and  1-2 other maps most SS players would care the most (ex : Castle Fight) or want to test.
Mr.
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper

Post by Mr. »

Firebat Saturday
Paging Dr. @Lavarinth
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Frenzied Firebat Saturday
Alevice
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Post by Alevice »

Stalker/SCV/SiegeTank/Sentry Saturday?
_-|-_
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

So far, I like Mesk's suggestion the best both for the name and the inevitable abbreviation (FFS) which quite a few of us also know its secondary meaning.
IskatuMesk wrote: Frenzied Firebat Saturday
WB
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by WB »

Stalker Saturday. i used to do FF and SS days but I got too busy. I'm hoping for more time (and a laptop).
Now with 50% more lol, 50% more win, and 100% phlail.
www.sc2campaigns.net - Coming Soon!!