About the future of a SC2 event

Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

About the future of a SC2 event

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Now with 2 weeks before the SC2 release, that question has to be officially popped up. Currently there is a Satyr Sunday for WC3 (Starting at 7:00 pm GM -5:00, USWest, channel Clan LLDN) and it will also be a thread to discuss about migrating the event into SC2.

I do want to gather the opinions/info from both SS/SSJ players and people interested to play in SC2. Also feel free to suggest alternatives, to debate and so on.

Q1) If there is a SC2 event, how often do you honestly intend to participate (presuming the perfect ideal that it would fit your schedule)?
1) Almost all the time to always
2) Very often
3) Often
4) Probably every 2 weeks or so
5) Once in a while
6) My mood/schedule/whatever from week to week influences too much to give a reliable answer
7) Never
8) Other (do suggest and/or specify)

Q2) What would interest you in such SC2 event? Pick multiples if wanted.
1) Melee
2) Custom Maps
3) Watching games live by the community players
4) Showing/playing your SC2 map projects in the event
5) Other (do suggest and/or specify)

Q3) What would be fitting times for you? Pick multiples to show all possible times for you.
Note : A SC2 event will probably last between 4 and 6 hours.
Note 2 : Also think long-term (in case it might change due to a new job, new semester schedules, etc.)
1) A starting time on Fridays 7 pm GM -5:00
2) A starting time on Fridays 8 pm GM -5:00
3) A starting time on Fridays 9 pm GM -5:00
4) A starting time on Saturdays 7 pm GM -5:00
5) A starting time on Saturdays 8 pm GM -5:00
6) A starting time on Saturdays 9 pm GM -5:00
7) A starting time on Sundays 7 pm GM -5:00  <-- This the current starting time for SS/SSJ
8) A starting time on Sundays 8 pm GM -5:00
9) A starting time on Sundays 9 pm GM -5:00
A) Other (Suggest and/or specify)

Q4) Concerning SS/SSJ and such SC2 event. What you would prefer? Feel free to answer in multiples if it reflect better your views.
1) No migration to SC2, just keep SS either "forever" or for a much longer time.
2) Wait a good 2-3 months before migrating to SC2 in a half-half method : one week for SSJ, one week for the SC2 event
3) Wait a good 2-3 months before migrating to SC2 in a full migration to SC2 Scrap the SS/SSJ event for War3.
4) Start a half-half method more or less on SC2 release : one week for SSJ, one week for the SC2 event
5) Full migration on more or less on SC2 release. Scrap the SS/SSJ event for War3.
6) Completely different SC2 event apart from SS/SSJ. Note that I won't be the leader of the SC2 event in this case and thus would require some sort of leader for that SC2 event.
7) Other (do suggest and/or specify)

Thus, feel free to also say more details and such as wanted.
Whiplash!
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: About the future of a SC2 event

Post by Whiplash! »

Q1) 4

Q2) 1/2/4

Q3) can't give answer because there could be tournaments whenever

Q4) 5
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Whiplash! wrote:Q3) can't give answer because there could be tournaments whenever
Well that question kind of presume what fitting times if you have no tournament at the moment (mostly to determine a time where most people could play). Although it's still important that you do note your absence during tournaments anyway.
Frizby
Terran Academy Dropout (Stim Pack scandal)
Terran Academy Dropout (Stim Pack scandal)

Post by Frizby »

Q1) Often
Q2) 2/4
Q3) 1-6
Q4) 4 or 5 (depends on SC2 custom map quality, if there are many good maps laying around the release I would go 5)
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

Q1) If there is a SC2 event, how often do you honestly intend to participate (presuming the perfect ideal that it would fit your schedule)?
Between:
2) Very often
3) Often

With the initial release:
1) Melee
2) Custom Maps
After some time:
2) Custom Maps

Q3) What would be fitting times for you? Pick multiples to show all possible times for you.
6) A starting time on Saturdays 9 pm GM -5:00
7) A starting time on Sundays 7 pm GM -5:00  <-- This the current starting time for SS/SSJ
8) A starting time on Sundays 8 pm GM -5:00
9) A starting time on Sundays 9 pm GM -5:00

Q4) Concerning SS/SSJ and such SC2 event. What you would prefer? Feel free to answer in multiples if it reflect better your views.
5) Full migration on more or less on SC2 release. Scrap the SS/SSJ event for War3.
7) Other: With Battle.net allowing WoW and SC2 players to communicate, but not WC3, it makes it the choice to discuss plans for the night, if players are willing to participate in a WC3 map during the time they are on SC2, players can simply switch over if they wish, otherwise they remain on SC2 during the event.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Mr.
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper

Post by Mr. »

Q1) About the same as I do now, which I suppose is Often (3)

Q2) 1/2/possibly 4

Q3) 1-9

Q4) I'd say full migration, but like Frizby said, it depends on how many good maps appear.  If we only have the maps that are currently available on the beta right now, which mostly suck, then I wouldn't want to switch fully to SC2, since we've got nice, established maps in WC3. But then again, melee in SC2 is a lot more fun than in WC3, so that may keep the event going, too.
Last edited by Mr. on Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paging Dr. @Lavarinth
Master Jademus Sreg
Terran Battlecruiser Janitor
Terran Battlecruiser Janitor

Post by Master Jademus Sreg »

Q1) Probably Never
I don't intend to get the game. Blizzard has yet to redeem itself.

Q2) Custom Maps, Projects, and sometimes Melee
If I were to play, I would be most interested in custom maps.

Q3) Saturdays 7 pm GM -5:00
I have nothing going on on Saturdays.

Q4) I prefer Satyr Sunday to remain a separate event.
I enjoy playing WC3 once a week; hell, I'm still working on a wc3 map I'd like to see get some love.
No more humans, please.
Mucky
Protoss Khalai Missionary

Post by Mucky »

7) Never
I don't plan on buying SC2.

1) Melee
2) Custom Maps
4) Showing/playing your SC2 map projects in the event

Note : A SC2 event will probably last between 4 and 6 hours.
Note 2 : Also think long-term (in case it might change due to a new job, new semester schedules, etc.)
1) A starting time on Fridays 7 pm GM -5:00
4) A starting time on Saturdays 7 pm GM -5:00
7) A starting time on Sundays 7 pm GM -5:00  <-- This the current starting time for SS/SSJ
My work schedule should change once the new semester starts.

1) No migration to SC2, just keep SS either "forever" or for a much longer time.
4) Start a half-half method more or less on SC2 release : one week for SSJ, one week for the SC2 event
6) Completely different SC2 event apart from SS/SSJ. Note that I won't be the leader of the SC2 event in this case and thus would require some sort of leader for that SC2 event.
I wouldn't want you guys to not have an SC2 event just for my sake, but I would like SS/SSJ to stick around.
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Mucky wrote:My work schedule should change once the new semester starts.
To me, it would be important to know when your semester starts. That's especially considering that with your job, it did made things a bit tricky even for SS/SSJ.

In addition, I would like to know if it implies that you will be able to join a SS/SSJ event at its starting event time or it won't change a thing (other than the extra days).
Mucky

Post by Mucky »

It starts in September. And yes, it will change my work schedule, which means I'd be able to show up more often at 7 pm rather than 10 pm.
Xelxiuz
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)

Post by Xelxiuz »

So are we assuming map projects will somehow still be awesome with that 10mb limit or did they finally remove it? Cause all I see is Nexus Wars.
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Xelxiuz wrote: So are we assuming map projects will somehow still be awesome with that 10mb limit or did they finally remove it? Cause all I see is Nexus Wars.
If we consider the current limits, the best possible is 10 mb for a map + remaining of an author's space (being the other 10 mb minimum) for extra imported files in a mod file (loaded with the map).

If they improve the global limit to 30-50 mb, then that would be the global limit that a decent map maker could fetch (10 mb map + rest as imported files inside mod) short of burrowing further space from a friend's if it's possible.

To the other radical end, if we cut out all imported data and have maps that relies on novelty, decent trigger use and such, it's possible to make very interesting maps with 4-5 mb of space.
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Mucky wrote: It starts in September. And yes, it will change my work schedule, which means I'd be able to show up more often at 7 pm rather than 10 pm.
Early September I gather?
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

To everyone not buying the game: Quit being high and mighty and thinking about yourself and buy it to play with your online friends, jeez. ::)
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
Frozty
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector
Terran Nuclear Silo Safety Inspector

Post by Frozty »

Q1) 2
Q2)1,2,3,4
Q3)2, 7 During football season, Saturdays and some Fridays are out for me, but that's only until November.
Q4)5
[imgwh 500x100]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/FrozenTomato/Frozty21.jpg[/imgwh]