Beta down What now?

Cliff747
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Re: Beta down What now?

Post by Cliff747 »

It's been two weeks, less two days, and just one reply to this info on the SC2ALLin1 launcher.

I thought you guys would be excited to play SC2 during the beta down time even if it's against a computer AI. (And not Blizzard's very easy AI)

But I'm having fun and learning and now know that I can not play at faster speed against you guys till I master the hot keys and get my APM up.

If you watch day9 you know that Artosis has a replay pack out. Here is a link to the thread, http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=130979  Also in the thread is the Chinese SC2Manager Replay Launcher, on page 8 or 9 of the thread is a link to the English version.
As of now it will not play the latest patch, so anything after June 7th will not play.

I put them on dead slow and am learning a lot. Have fun and maybe I'll see you on B.net. :D
thebrowncloud
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist

Post by thebrowncloud »

Normally, I would. But I think I speak for a decent amount of people when I say that the real business of this site is in the planning stages: campaigns. Ideas are flying around now with SC2 so close. It's not that we aren't interested. We are just getting ready.  ;)
"Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will."
-George Bernard Shaw
Cliff747
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by Cliff747 »

I can understand that but let me ask a question.
Is a GALAXY File of any use to you?
It seems to me that these files are what the editor uses and if you can open them they may be a source of information that you can use.
I'm just a noob but I think I read somewhere that this is the language that the editor uses.
SCALLin1 and the SC Replay Manager both have a bunch of these files.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

They're text files. Open them in notepad. Galaxy is basically sc2's JASS.
Master Jademus Sreg
Terran Battlecruiser Janitor
Terran Battlecruiser Janitor

Post by Master Jademus Sreg »

Much easier to directly script galaxy than click through a shitty GUI, so I say it is of some use.
No more humans, please.
Cliff747
Terran Factory Worker
Terran Factory Worker

Post by Cliff747 »

That's what I was thinking. I don't know how to script so I would have to cut and paste to get a BO to put out a 12 12 3 M&M&M.

That's why I don't follow the SC2 Editor Findings cause I don't understand it.
Last edited by Cliff747 on Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Well from what I've been hearing the garbage collection functions aren't really working/functional in sc2 at this time, so GUI may not be an option and you might have to use Galaxy anyways for efficiency, much like wc3 and JASS (though both JASS and Galaxy are very, very slow).

However, most ability-related things that demanded insanely complicated JASS systems in wc3 with years of work are doable through the data editor now. Except that's just exchanging coding ability for extreme pain from the terrible ui. So, you're still downing a flagon of sulfur. Just bitter-sweet sulfur.

My suggestion - wait for third party editors or see if Blizzard updates the editor across the two expansions (I'll be waiting for a long time before deciding whether it's worth it to look at sc2's official editor again, it's nowhere near ready for big projects right now) and on initial release and then decide what you want to do.

No matter how you look at it, an sc2 project will require double the time demand of a wc3 project of similar scale due to the complexity and added depth of the engine itself. Learning Galaxy is necessary to harnessing the potential of the game.
Last edited by IskatuMesk on Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ricky_Honejasi
Xel'naga Solar Moderator
Xel'naga Solar Moderator

Post by Ricky_Honejasi »

Cliff747 wrote: That's what I was thinking. I don't know how to script so I would have to cut and paste to get a BO to put out a 12 12 3 M&M&M.

That's why I don't follow the SC2 Editor Findings cause I don't understand it.
Well the findings tend to be more for people that already used WorldEdit (WC3's Editor) since many of the aspects tend to be either extras over the WC3 editor or different compared to the WC3 editor.

If you do have Warcraft 3 (even without the expansion), my best recommendation is my WC3 trigger tutorials intended for total newbies : http://www.campaigncreations.org/forum/http://www.campaigncreations.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=6822#p6822

That way, you will have a more serious clue on how to trigger in WC3 and SC2 (since the GUI basics are similar). Otherwise, you will probably have to learn the beginnings the hard way. Most tutorials on the Internet tend to expect that you already understood quite a bit the editors in general.

Note that whatever route you do take about it will take a considerable length of time to understand an editor (regardless if it's WC3 or SC2 or even most games' editor)
Alevice
Zerg Drone Masseur
Zerg Drone Masseur

Post by Alevice »

I was in the process of making a Hero Creation Tutorial you might be interested reading. I tried to avoid the "how shit was done in World Edit and how SC2 is better/worse" and opted for a moderatedly neutral  and concise approach, so hopefully reading it won't confuse you much.

That said, I tend to love how easy is to organize and create new stuff on the Data Editor, and totally hate how the actual editing works. If we could have a "create shit with dependecies automagically, but still being almost direct xml editing", this would be like a blessing of the Chaos Gods.
_-|-_
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

There was some dudes working on a data editor that basically was an XML editor with some other features. It looked pretty promising, not sure how far it is atm though or if they will finish it.