GnaReffotsirk
Zerg Larva Herder
Zerg Larva Herder

SC: Survivors Preview (remake for SC2)

Post by GnaReffotsirk »

[youtube=425,350]8RBy2EhSjWU[/youtube]

Sorry for the video quality.

[imgwh 640x480]http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/8629 ... t028mr.jpg[/imgwh]

Something's off with SC2's stretching of images. Just like what happens here. If you plan to have images with scanlines, having your scan line pattern with a size of 1x3, where the top 1 pixel is the black line, sort of works. That is if you are working on a 1024xs768 image.

This one's taken with the game engine, with a camera at 45 fov and 0.8 depth of field amount. Everything else are modified unit sizes, increased doodad sizes, raising/lowering heights of doodads, etc.
Last edited by GnaReffotsirk on Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Falchion
Zerg Hydralisk Nail Stylist
Location: Bragança Paulista, Brazil (Da most borin' place in the world)

Re: SC: Survivors Preview (remake for SC2)

Post by Falchion »

Afar from the simplistic terrain, I'd say it was a pretty good start you've done.  You knew how to make that starting cutscene just right.  Reminded me of the DOW 1 glory days.

I only regret that dialogue without sounds.  Will it always be like this, I mean, you in the middle of the game and it just goes black everytime a dialogue is to come in?
How I became a troll in a single post (And you can too!!! :D ): link

dreamerhorwitz
Terran SCV Lube Technician
Terran SCV Lube Technician

Post by dreamerhorwitz »

Nice!  :D

Now for a quick question. Was it easier or harder to work with the Starcraft 2's editor?
The evil swears are no match for a greater vocab!
GnaReffotsirk
Zerg Larva Herder
Zerg Larva Herder

Post by GnaReffotsirk »

Falchion wrote: Afar from the simplistic terrain, I'd say it was a pretty good start you've done.  You knew how to make that starting cutscene just right.  Reminded me of the DOW 1 glory days.

I only regret that dialogue without sounds.  Will it always be like this, I mean, you in the middle of the game and it just goes black everytime a dialogue is to come in?
I don't know, maybe, since it would be kind of hard to be reading and playing both at the same time. Yeah, voice would do a campaign a lot of good and freedom as well.

I made the custom transmission screen specifically to cater to voice-less transmissions. The default one that comes with the beta editor is kind of hard to integrate especially with fast paced gameplay.

I'll try to work on the terrain. Thanks for pointing that out.
dreamerhorwitz wrote: Nice!  :D

Now for a quick question. Was it easier or harder to work with the Starcraft 2's editor?
I love it, and am actually expecting more with the release version. It certainly is a lot easier, given the amount of stuff it can do.
Last edited by GnaReffotsirk on Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Meta
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Meta »

Great work man, keep it up.  :D
WB
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by WB »

For going into cinematic mode, you can specify a duration. Try setting that to 0 or a low number. When the zealot speaks at the end, it looks kinda bad because it pops up while the UI gets darkened and goes away, only to come back. Just a thought. :)
Now with 50% more lol, 50% more win, and 100% phlail.
www.sc2campaigns.net - Coming Soon!!
Marco
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Marco »

It was interesting to watch.  Haven't messed around with the editor too much yet personally, so it was cool seeing a custom campaign in action, even though it is obviously incomplete and simply a preview.
The Music of Squad 303  (Celestial Reverie Music by Joel Steudler)

[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/anise.mp3]Anise McConnell[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/bryce.mp3]Bryce Littlefield[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/issac.mp3]Issac Rangel[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/tyson.mp3]Tyson Reznor[/url]

"That mutalisk must have seen your stoic beauty glistening in its eye and tried to die looking at an angel in heaven."
-- Bryce Littlefield
thebrowncloud

Post by thebrowncloud »

I absolutely LOVED that action shot pan in the very beginning! As simple as such a thing is, it breathed new life into SC story-telling for me. Nicely done, good sir!
"Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will."
-George Bernard Shaw
AA7Dragoon
Protoss Khalai Missionary
Protoss Khalai Missionary

Post by AA7Dragoon »

The cutscene with the sunset shining on the zealots was awesome.  Good use of some trigger effects.  I think the game should stay away from the black screen menu once the mission has actually started.  It detaches the player from the adrenaline action they just experienced.  For character dialogue, just use the main game interface.
I have seen the Desler.  I have tasted of his milk and honey.
Lavarinth
Xel'naga Administrator
Xel'naga Administrator

Post by Lavarinth »

AA7Dragoon wrote: The cutscene with the sunset shining on the zealots was awesome.  Good use of some trigger effects.  I think the game should stay away from the black screen menu once the mission has actually started.  It detaches the player from the adrenaline action they just experienced.  For character dialogue, just use the main game interface.
I think those pop ups would be great if the screen perhaps blurred instead of going black. Although, I know blurring would only work with computers running in Ultra settings.
- - Lavarinth
Campaign Creations Administrator
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Which would pretty much be any computer hoping to run a campaign.
GnaReffotsirk
Zerg Larva Herder
Zerg Larva Herder

Post by GnaReffotsirk »

There might be a work-around on that, Mesk. I mean, if you are referring to in-game cinematic transitions like the above.

What we could do, if it is possible, is:

1. record the cinematic up to the specific camera,
2. import and play full screen
3. apply cam, remove the dialog (or what tool there be) playing the video
4. turn cinematic off, then apply default game cam.

Haven't tried this yet, but it could work for people who got low-spec machines.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Yes, but you'd (hopefully) be running a 1920x1200 video, which would probably end up being significantly large if you were to record it at any decent quality. Not that I would personally care, but people have a habit of bitching about having to spend 2 more seconds downloading even if it means a better overall experience.
GnaReffotsirk
Zerg Larva Herder
Zerg Larva Herder

Post by GnaReffotsirk »

IskatuMesk wrote: Yes, but you'd (hopefully) be running a 1920x1200 video, which would probably end up being significantly large if you were to record it at any decent quality. Not that I would personally care, but people have a habit of bitching about having to spend 2 more seconds downloading even if it means a better overall experience.
True, true.
Whiplash!
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Whiplash! »

Ya I think I remember checking this out on sc2 mapster, really looks great and I can't wait to play it! Keep me update on whats going on with it.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯