What do you think of...

AA7Dragoon
Protoss Khalai Missionary
Protoss Khalai Missionary

What do you think of...

Post by AA7Dragoon »

With the recent dissatisfaction of balance issues by a majority of the community, an idea occurred to me that Campaign Creations could spear-head.

What if Campaign Creations created an alternative balance to StarCraft 2?  Basically, all the default maps would run on a balance fine tuned by members of the community.  Whenever a new, popular map, uploads onto battlenet, the settings of all the units are altered to that patch archetype.  True, the maps could never be used on ranking, but imagine a player community sticking it to Blizzard and playing a canon rule-set of balances that transcend beyond the shortcomings of Blizzard settings.

What do you think?
I have seen the Desler.  I have tasted of his milk and honey.
Master Jademus Sreg
Terran Battlecruiser Janitor
Terran Battlecruiser Janitor

Re: What do you think of...

Post by Master Jademus Sreg »

I think it would best be accomplished using a mod upon which the set of maps would be dependent.
No more humans, please.
Whiplash!
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by Whiplash! »

There's a few issues with this:

1) Most of the campaign creations community doesn't play starcraft on a competitive level so they don't have a true idea of what is balanced/what is not/how it is handled in starcraft 2.

2) The game is reasonably balanced. Yes everyone has their certain "issues" that they think should be dealt with, but if you look at the current track record and numbers sc2 is more balanced then pretty much any other RTS besides brood war and wc3. There have been countless tournaments already for Starcraft 2 and they have had great success where the winner wins by raw skill over luck or imbalances 99% of the time.

3) Community balance patches generally don't work. That's the history of them.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Marco
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Marco »

Such modifications usually aren't very popular, even though well intentioned.  After all, we're talking about minor changes here, almost imperceptible changes to the core game - very few people would be interested in that when the majority are satisfied with whatever form of balance Blizzard imparts on them.

Of course, if you find a few like minded people who are extremely discriminating, it might be worth it.  Just know it'll take a lot of work.
The Music of Squad 303  (Celestial Reverie Music by Joel Steudler)

[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/anise.mp3]Anise McConnell[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/bryce.mp3]Bryce Littlefield[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/issac.mp3]Issac Rangel[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/tyson.mp3]Tyson Reznor[/url]

"That mutalisk must have seen your stoic beauty glistening in its eye and tried to die looking at an angel in heaven."
-- Bryce Littlefield
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

CC won't be spear-heading anything much less something like that. Even if TL made their pro mod, which would get an infinitely greater amount of players, would still be in the vast minority and largely a failure.

This doesn't ever work.

/r

Actually, belay that. I've seen it work once, with the community patch for AoW2. But that's because it was sanctioned by the developers who had since abandoned the game. They still won't cough up the source code though, despite a movement to get it.
Last edited by IskatuMesk on Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wibod
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper

Post by wibod »

IskatuMesk wrote: CC won't be spear-heading anything much less something like that. Even if TL made their pro mod, which would get an infinitely greater amount of players, would still be in the vast minority and largely a failure.

This doesn't ever work.

/r

Actually, belay that. I've seen it work once, with the community patch for AoW2. But that's because it was sanctioned by the developers who had since abandoned the game. They still won't cough up the source code though, despite a movement to get it.
I believe source code problem is because of legal issues.

Community balance patches only work in small communities.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Well in some cases (homeworld 1) companies can and will release source code under some kind of TOS, but most won't do it for any number of reasons. It's really not something you can hope for, but it's worth trying in a case like this, however unlikely. If we did somehow get it, it would open up a vast amount of possibilities for modding.