Today, history was made...

Moderator: Milldawg

IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Re: Today, history was made...

Post by IskatuMesk »

Man, apple is really going balls to the wall selling their hand held devices. You never know what kind of crazy mobile object they'll erect in their public demonstrations. I'd almost be tempted to humor their lust for expensive cuisine just to show off my goods to the locals like some kind of frat boy but I'm not American and don't have ridiculous amounts of hard cash.
DrumsofWar
Protoss Infested Terran (Unemployed)
Protoss Infested Terran (Unemployed)

Post by DrumsofWar »

The real forgotten battleground is OS, for both the computer and handheld/mobile.  Besides Google quietly trying to usurp its way into both fields, enough people might get fired at Microsoft for them to embrace open source and bring it to the mainstream market the way that they ripped off repackaged the original Xerox/DOS software.

Mac OS has sort of already done this but that's what they said the last time during the early 90's too during the first OS war.  Right now, Apple's software offerings aren't heavy duty enough (there's a reason no one uses Apple WebObjects servers) so the iPod/iPhone might still not be permanent enough of a foothold as the company wants.
Xelxiuz
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)

Post by Xelxiuz »

IskatuMesk wrote: Cell phones are overrated in general. You don't need a $200 cell phone to talk to someone. If you want to do something else with it get a damn netbook or an actual laptop. In the long run you'll be spending far less money and have far greater flexibility with it.
Lots of places and activities are for those who do not carry a backpack.
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

IskatuMesk wrote: Man, apple is really going balls to the wall selling their hand held devices. You never know what kind of crazy mobile object they'll erect in their public demonstrations. I'd almost be tempted to humor their lust for expensive cuisine just to show off my goods to the locals like some kind of frat boy but I'm not American and don't have ridiculous amounts of hard cash.
if you work for what you call hard cash, i don't see why you shouldn't get the stuff you want.

okay, so cell phones are overrated. but so are PCs. so are vacuum cleaners. we could all try and go back to living in caves, but the fact of the matter is, people want easy to use things, but above all, we want pretty things. not because we like to show off. not because we need them. but simply because they're pretty.

microsoft doesn't make pretty things. apple does. apple invents needs and so apple wins.

and by the way, i know sound forge exist on PC, i've had it for years. i don't see how my post could've implied that i didn't know that.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

I'm just saying it existed. I figured you already knew that, but the point was that it isn't apple-exclusive so it can't be used as a point that Apple's software is superior.

And honestly I find all of the apple stuff ugly as hell :p
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

IskatuMesk wrote: And honestly I find all of the apple stuff ugly as hell :p
no! no you dont! aah! ;)

yeah, not everybody likes it, i guess, but me, i'm a sucker for glossy screens and those bright and shiny icons on my iphone. i flip it out just to look at it sometimes, how silly is that?
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Battle.net 2.0 will give you an orgasm, then.
Marco
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Marco »

IskatuMesk wrote: Man, apple is really going balls to the wall selling their hand held devices. You never know what kind of crazy mobile object they'll erect in their public demonstrations. I'd almost be tempted to humor their lust for expensive cuisine just to show off my goods to the locals like some kind of frat boy but I'm not American and don't have ridiculous amounts of hard cash.
Apple basically has a giant dick now.  Amirite?
The Music of Squad 303  (Celestial Reverie Music by Joel Steudler)

[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/anise.mp3]Anise McConnell[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/bryce.mp3]Bryce Littlefield[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/issac.mp3]Issac Rangel[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/tyson.mp3]Tyson Reznor[/url]

"That mutalisk must have seen your stoic beauty glistening in its eye and tried to die looking at an angel in heaven."
-- Bryce Littlefield
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Desler always was the master of subtlety.
wibod
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper

Post by wibod »

AA7Dragoon wrote: Actually Mac hardware is reliable.  For years, people have belittled and marganized Apple software.  If Apple was just an image, a pretty flower with no substance, then why is the company flourishing?  There are a few important facts to note here in this discussion:

1. The iPod
It is undeniable that the iPod revolutionized music players.  With 225 million iPods sold and with Apple commanding nearly 75% of the market share, there's more than just flare here.  Apple look over an entire market of listening to music.  iTunes has been a major success with millions of Americans using its software to download music, games, movies, and applications.  The iTunes music store is the Top Music Retailer in the United States.  It beats out Wal-Mart and Amazon.

2. The iPhone
Do you remember the days before the iPhone?  Everyone had shitty Motorolla Razrs, and only the business industry was using Blackberries.  When the iPhone came out, it sparked an arms race between Apple vs. the Telecommunication companies.  Apple forced phone companies to rethink the crappy hardware they were selling to people.  For the next three years, Verizon, Google, Motorolla, and RIM (Blackberry) have been trying to catch up with Apple's iPhone technology.  I remember this forum complained about the iPhone's touch screen technology.  Well now, everyone is using it.  Touch screen technology is standard on most smart phones now.

The success of the iPhone currently stands at 21% of the market share, which is pretty good considering the phone is limited to AT&T's awful network.  It has truly redefined how we perceive phones.  The phone has sold millions and has sparked another market of its own:

3. Applications
Applications are rapidly becoming the next big market.  Who would have imagined you would be seeing television ads for people to log into their iPhones and buy a certain application?  Apple pioneered application stores for mobile devices.  Currently, there are 185,000 applications in the App Store with over 4 billion total downloads.  Other phone companies have launched their own application stores to keep up with Apple.

It's difficult to maintain that Apple is an overhyped expense.  Clearly, the company has transcended beyond the fanboys.  The success of Apple is a multibillion dollar phenomenon with millions upon millions of satisfied customer .  One can continue to criticize Apple all they want to, but the reality is Apple's innovation to bring new technology into the mainstream market has revolutionized how people use mobile devices, listen to music, and experience entertainment.
Mac hardware is the same shit they put in prebuilt PCs, they may change some driver related things, but it's all the same shit.

Everything else can be summed up as: lol hipsters/mac fanatics/people who can't build their own computer/people ignorant to technology

Also wtf at you saying the iPhone is somehow more capable than a backberry, are you cereal? Do you know any serious person in business who uses an iPhone, cause I don't, they use BB or older cell phones. The iPhone is a glorified toy in all respects and touch screen technology is awful.

Apps, don't even get me started on how Apple is locking down the platform to prevent people from cross developing things for Android phones. I'm sure you can see why this is bad for them in the long run.

itunes is awful btw, any company that puts wait code into a program just because it's on windows is fucking sleezy and can't be trusted.
Negi

Post by Negi »

Macintosh: The Gay Computer

My gay uncles both use macs.  AA7 uses a mac.  QED.
[size=200]Post Count +1[/size]
Legion
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Legion »

wibod wrote:
AA7Dragoon wrote: Actually Mac hardware is reliable.  For years, people have belittled and marganized Apple software.  If Apple was just an image, a pretty flower with no substance, then why is the company flourishing?  There are a few important facts to note here in this discussion:

1. The iPod
It is undeniable that the iPod revolutionized music players.  With 225 million iPods sold and with Apple commanding nearly 75% of the market share, there's more than just flare here.  Apple look over an entire market of listening to music.  iTunes has been a major success with millions of Americans using its software to download music, games, movies, and applications.  The iTunes music store is the Top Music Retailer in the United States.  It beats out Wal-Mart and Amazon.

2. The iPhone
Do you remember the days before the iPhone?  Everyone had shitty Motorolla Razrs, and only the business industry was using Blackberries.  When the iPhone came out, it sparked an arms race between Apple vs. the Telecommunication companies.  Apple forced phone companies to rethink the crappy hardware they were selling to people.  For the next three years, Verizon, Google, Motorolla, and RIM (Blackberry) have been trying to catch up with Apple's iPhone technology.  I remember this forum complained about the iPhone's touch screen technology.  Well now, everyone is using it.  Touch screen technology is standard on most smart phones now.

The success of the iPhone currently stands at 21% of the market share, which is pretty good considering the phone is limited to AT&T's awful network.  It has truly redefined how we perceive phones.  The phone has sold millions and has sparked another market of its own:

3. Applications
Applications are rapidly becoming the next big market.  Who would have imagined you would be seeing television ads for people to log into their iPhones and buy a certain application?  Apple pioneered application stores for mobile devices.  Currently, there are 185,000 applications in the App Store with over 4 billion total downloads.  Other phone companies have launched their own application stores to keep up with Apple.

It's difficult to maintain that Apple is an overhyped expense.  Clearly, the company has transcended beyond the fanboys.  The success of Apple is a multibillion dollar phenomenon with millions upon millions of satisfied customer .  One can continue to criticize Apple all they want to, but the reality is Apple's innovation to bring new technology into the mainstream market has revolutionized how people use mobile devices, listen to music, and experience entertainment.
Mac hardware is the same shit they put in prebuilt PCs, they may change some driver related things, but it's all the same shit.

Everything else can be summed up as: lol hipsters/mac fanatics/people who can't build their own computer/people ignorant to technology

Also wtf at you saying the iPhone is somehow more capable than a backberry, are you cereal? Do you know any serious person in business who uses an iPhone, cause I don't, they use BB or older cell phones. The iPhone is a glorified toy in all respects and touch screen technology is awful.

Apps, don't even get me started on how Apple is locking down the platform to prevent people from cross developing things for Android phones. I'm sure you can see why this is bad for them in the long run.

itunes is awful btw, any company that puts wait code into a program just because it's on windows is fucking sleezy and can't be trusted.
don't be hating. nobody's forbidding you to play with your windows machine! you go build your own computers, man. see if the rest of the world cares.

in the end, it's a device and a device has to be able to do shit and apple stuff works for me and is esthetically pleasing to boot. i don't care about technology or how windows may be so much better than apple. i have other things to worry about.

your views of people who use macs make me laugh a little. ignorant? hipsters? okay.

@ negi: really? i mean, seriously? you're pulling the gay card? that's a lot of gay uncles, by the way. :P
Last edited by Legion on Mon May 31, 2010 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marco
Xel'naga Hero
Xel'naga Hero

Post by Marco »

The gay card?

[imgwh 230x133]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b65/a ... ayCard.png[/imgwh]
The Music of Squad 303  (Celestial Reverie Music by Joel Steudler)

[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/anise.mp3]Anise McConnell[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/bryce.mp3]Bryce Littlefield[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/issac.mp3]Issac Rangel[/url]
[url=http://files.campaigncreations.org/sc2/celestial/tyson.mp3]Tyson Reznor[/url]

"That mutalisk must have seen your stoic beauty glistening in its eye and tried to die looking at an angel in heaven."
-- Bryce Littlefield
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

AA7Dragoon
Protoss Khalai Missionary
Protoss Khalai Missionary

Post by AA7Dragoon »

^  That actually has nothing to do with Windows or Mac software.  It was a breach caused by AT&T, which we can all agree, is a terrible carrier.
I have seen the Desler.  I have tasted of his milk and honey.