Bluzzard vs KeSPA - Battle of the Money-Grabbers

IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Bluzzard vs KeSPA - Battle of the Money-Grabbers

Post by IskatuMesk »

Shit's about to get real now, son.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=121471

In summary - Blizzard's been negotiating with the major governing body of Korean Esports and failing, so they just ditched the whole effort. Since Blizzard holds copyright over the IP, shit could go downhill for Korean progaming in a jiffy.

Things that have already suffered by these two unmovable dopes include GOMTV's English-casted tournaments which KeSPA didn't like Blizzard supporting (Basically it wasn't making them any money so they shut it down to avoid competition), and potentially the rise of SC2's rating to AO in Korea (this is only speculation and there's no solid evidence for it, but it seems possible that someone could be pulling strings behind the scenes).
archon_wing
Terran Supply Depot Clerk
Terran Supply Depot Clerk

Re: Bluzzard vs KeSPA - Battle of the Money-Grabbers

Post by archon_wing »

Kespa can fuck itself. For too long esports has been held hostage in its greedy hands with their constant mismanagement and exploitation of those poor kids

Not that I have much confidence in Blizzard either, mind you; considering the server segregation bullshit. (AKA unable to do something a third party, free ladder did-- I don't give a shit about whatever technical limitations they sprout out-- it's just am excuse) Fucking pathetic. Meh.
Last edited by archon_wing on Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Some people seem to think that Activision is largely responsible for sc2's continued downspiral across all fronts. I'm curious how strong of a claim that could be - to be frank, I'm not familiar with Activision's history all that well.
Xelxiuz
Zerg Infested Terran (Unemployed)

Post by Xelxiuz »

Blizzard would be morons if they were actually the saints that their fan boys claim they are, specially with their current performance. No, pretty sure it's a mutual benefit of greedy helps greedy by being greedier.

And the TL article comments were pretty bad and generic. If I had a ranking system from A-D the average of the collective readership of that article is about D+ at most, though at least they don't hack into people's personal lives like the Netizens do or mail bloody tampons as a love present.
Last edited by Xelxiuz on Mon May 03, 2010 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Xelxiuz

Post by Xelxiuz »

Royalties are unreasonable. Right.

I mean, when you're suppose to make a legitimate argument to cover your ass to the public, you don't just shine greed out like a flashlight. What's worse is some people not being capable of reading that. The better way to phrase it would be claiming to be willing to pay royalties and other subsidies as long as within reason, using the unknown factor of numbers to your advantage. Instead no, Korea is just as bad in E-sports talks as they are at covering Hyori Lee's plagarism from some ghetto Canadian girl band.

Greedy vs Greedy, the usual in business derp.

On the other hand, Blizzard's game isn't exactly up to par to be making demands right now.

Basically from legality, it comes down to Blizzard claiming to want control for the sake of corrective measures (ie: In case KESPA fucks over SC/SC2's image for example or let's say, tries to sex it up since that's what their PVs are all about right now) but obviously not sly enough to show restrain on the money grubbing. Kespa is doing the opposite, exposing Blizzard's greed to hide their own, while ignoring the fact that they are playing with another companies products and image without permission and can be held as a liability by Blizzard using only their "integrity" and "contributions" so far to slide off the real problems.

But yeah, it seems like TL has zero qualifying armchair lawyers, and those are good compared to the masses of mouth breathing fanboys of either side.
Last edited by Xelxiuz on Mon May 03, 2010 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Blizzard decided to backdoor the whole KeSPA thing and signed a contract with GOMtv

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=127674

In short, Gom's tournament was one held a little while ago and featured free online viewing + a pay-per-view HD stream with English commentation by Tasteless, superdanielman, and a few alternates inbetween. It was funded by Blizzard, which made KeSPA freak out, and forced the teams to cancel their participation in the tournament effectively killing it (in season 2 iirc?? I forget which season this happened in, they did get at least 1 season through, and it had the biggest prize pool of any of the SK tournies iirc edit - They made it through season 3 apparently and then died after that).

Now GOM has exclusive broadcasting rights from Blizzard and is intended to be used as a focus to get at the other major companies (OGN, MBC) to make contracts with GOM in turn. Don't think KeSPA will give up without a fight, though...

Might not seem like a big deal to you guys but in fact this is HUGE.
Last edited by IskatuMesk on Thu May 27, 2010 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wibod
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper
Zerg Creep Colony Landscaper

Post by wibod »

KeSPA is kind of fucked as their image is hurting right now after the gambling scandal means that they have a very very small chance of getting rights through legal action.
Xelxiuz

Post by Xelxiuz »

I would care more if this game has the ability to last me until the next installment.
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

It's going to be airing in direct competition with sc1. Blizzard is trying to kill BW.
Xelxiuz

Post by Xelxiuz »

I thought Kespa is required to stop broadcasting after the season is over in fall? Korean court favoring them yet?
IskatuMesk
Xel'naga World Shaper
Xel'naga World Shaper

Post by IskatuMesk »

Yes, that's what it looks like so far - no doubt they'll try to do something court-wise to change it. But, as it is, the airing times are already conflicting with each other.
Black_Dream
Terran Barracks Laundry Master
Terran Barracks Laundry Master

KeSPA....

Post by Black_Dream »

I know....
I'm very concerned about it.
I'm just sighing...
They are corrupt...
One butterfly could cause a typhoon on the other side of the earth.